Author Topic: Question - New to FTS  (Read 4270 times)

cmills

• View Profile
Question - New to FTS
« on: June 07, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this. I am trying to find some variety in snacks and meals so I do not get bored. I found Town House Flatbread Crisps in the grocery store. They are 10 Net Carbs for 8. I want to dip them in Hummus with is 3 Net Carbs for 2 Tbsp. If I stick with once serving size of each, would this be okay as a snack choice? ???

Also, where can I buy xylitol? Is it the same thing as Splenda?

Are there any yogurts that are low in carbs/sugar?

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question - New to FTS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum, cmills.

I'll take a stab at your questions but others will also have suggestions.

The choice of crackers and hummus as a snack is pretty expensive in terms of carb count.  If you go back to Doug's book and look at suggestions for snack trays, there is a lot of variety there.  In general, your carb budget should be spent on vegetables more than any other category of foods.

Xylitol is different than Splenda.  Xylitol can be found at health food stores.  It is technically a sugar alcohol.  Sugar alcohols can be subtracted from total carbs when figuring net carbs but be careful with them.  First, they metabolize before fat so they can cause weight loss to stall.  Second, they can cause "intestinal" issues that can be unpleasant.

Be careful with Splenda, too.  Those cute yellow packets are 1g of carbs each because of the filler they use to make it pour the way it does.  Liquid sucralose (the generic name for Splenda) has no carbs because there are no fillers needed.  FTS Zero is liquid sucralose and a really great sugar substitute.

Again, welcome to the forum.  I hope you like it here.

cmills

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. I guess I was hoping they were similar to the GG Bran Crispbread in the book. I will have to get myself to a healthfood store soon. I can't find soy flour or coconut flour at any of the grocery stores. I have seen these types of flour in some of the recipes in the book.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
Welcome cmills - I usually buy all my stuff online as I live in Australia. The ones that I use are iherb and  some that are based in Australia.  Dixie Counters and Netrition are popular also.  I'm sure many from the forum will tell you their favourites.  You can do a search online.  A lot of the  healthfood stores here don't stock the flours - not enough demand, that's why I go online.

Welcome again  :D :D :D :D :D

owensmath

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
Milled flax seed, also called flax meal, is more readily accessible, cheaper, and lower in net carbs than almond or soy flour.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
Welcome to the family, cmills!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

My favorite place to locate most low carb products is Netrition.com.
They're about the largest source of these products (besides Amazon.com) out there.

And they're consistently lower in price over other sources.
Plus... They have flat rate $4.95 shipping (within the contiguous 48 United States) regardless of order size. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I order almond flour (and other speciality items) from Amazon.com or Netrition.  My new favorite snack is the pepperoni stick http://www.hormelfoods.com/newsroom/brandinfo/HORMELPepperoniFS.aspx or sharp cheddar cheese stick.

owensmath

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
Would you believe that after I got hooked on those pepperoni sticks, I can't find them now? Grrr.  I won't give up! They are so good. 

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »
Would you believe that after I got hooked on those pepperoni sticks, I can't find them now? Grrr.  I won't give up! They are so good. 

Owensmath, I find the pepperoni sticks at Walmart close to the canadian bacon.  Welcome cmills.  You've received some great suggestions on lower carb snacks other than those crackers and hummus.  I have fallen in love with the BBQ pork rinds for a 0 carb snack; or I also keep parmesan cheese crisps on hand.  I use them as potato chips or crunchy bread for chicken, tuna or egg salad snacks.  Something I used to fix but haven't taken time to lately is broil pepperoni slices; pat the grease off, and wrap in a paper towel to refrigerate.  A crispy pepperoi slice is a great snack and really low carb.  I also like canadian bacon and different cheeses (I usually cut them into 1/4 and it makes it seems like I have more) 4 is more than 1 right? LOL  Good luck, be sure to read Doug's book and check out the snacks and sides section here on the forum, there are sooooo many great recipes.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  You will love it here.  Be sure to check out the recipe section.  There are a couple great cracker recipes there.   I have got to check out these pepperoni sticks!  sounds great!! 

owensmath

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »
Suzlyn, I found it at Walmart the first couple of times, but theybhaven't had it lately. 

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »
WalMart is pretty responsive if you ask about something they used to carry.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »
I saw these at the Bass Pro Shop on Friday night, but they wanted almost $5 for just a little pack!  Hmm....I'll keep shopping.  I'm on a budget.   :D