Author Topic: Hi Guys!  (Read 7298 times)

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Guys!
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
 I know you all have seen me around for awhile.. first as a lurker now an official FTS girl! I am a Married Mom of four. I found Doug's book in the library about a year ago. I thought about what I saw there, checked it out a couple more times... then bought my own copy. I found Doug on FB and watched his cool FTS posts.
 I was a "chubby child" and toyed with bulimia as a teen and was very small at that point. I hovered between 105 and 115 all through HS I am 4'11 so that wasnt a drastically low weight for me. I gained 100 pounds after I had my first daughter. She is 19 now. About 12 years ago I did Adkins and met with immediate success, but my body turned on me after about ten weeks. I got very sick to my stomach and turned back to "comfort foods". I quickly regained everything I had lost plus a pound or two more and I followed this up with a pregnancy.
 I had been considering that I needed to get a handle on my weight for a long time, but I always made excuses. When people would talk to me about my weight and the health concerns (My Daddy died when I was 19 due to Heart Disease) I just said that I would rather die happy than live to be a hundred hungry and miserable. I am an avid baker and love Southern cooking. In February two things happened, I read Paula Deen's "It Aint All About The Cookin'" ... which moved me in a way I will never be able to fully explain... and I attended my niece's wedding. I had to buy a new outfit for this formal wedding. I was in the "Avenue" (a shop that caters to full sized ladies) and I had to buy the largest top they made. I was also in a size 26 pant. ( I refused to weigh at that point) When I saw the pics from that day... it was that "lightening bolt moment" people often talk about. It took me a few weeks to work up the courage and formulate my game plan. I started a food journal and started stalking Doug's posts on Facebook.  (Sorry Doug!)
   Anyway, I am TWELVE weeks in! On March 20th I was 254 pounds. Today I am 211 I have gone from a size 26 pant to an 18. I just bought my first size 22 blouse... and I need a new bathing suit!!  ;D  Here I have found the tools and support I needed to make this change in my life. I feel so blessed to have been led to this incredible group of people. I hope you all know how much I value you and what you contribute here.
  Sorry if this was too long! Thanks for reading! *hugs*
  *Highfives* to my fellow Scale Geeks!  :D

shawn116

Re: Hi Guys!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
That is great Suzanne....you are doing so wonderful!!    ;)   Don't you just love our family here???  This is one of my favorite places to be  ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
Love changes lives, Suzanne.
There's plenty of it to go around, here! :)

Kudos on your successes along your journey to a healthy Y-O-U! ;D ;D ;D ;D
What you do today is what matters!

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
Welcome and congratulations!! We are so glad you found FTS and we are all happy to be your fellow scale geeks. ;)

Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »
Wow Suzanne!!  You have done GREAT!!  I am so glad you are here.  After a while, you'll find that "this" is just the way you like to eat.  I seriously never feel deprived.  I really think that is the reason this has been so easy to do.  SO glad you found FTS!    ;D

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »
Thanks Everyone! I love it here! I feel so safe and supported! You guys give so much to one another and there is so much inspiration in your stories. My family has been on the fence, they like that I am probably going to live longer... but they are afraid of losing what they have. They love the food and their sedate soft Momma. I think they are getting more comfortable since I haven't quit cooking what they love... I just don't eat it with them anymore. They also haven't caught on to the changes they are making without even realizing it. Except for the Zero... that stuff is SUPER popular here.  :)
I am so thankful that the food cravings are no longer what rule me. I feel so free. I never ever thought the day would come when I would be able to say that.
I wish I could give you all a big ole group hug! Thanks so much for having me here!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
Suzanne i am so happy for you! You are doing GREAT!!!!  ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »
Wow, Suzanne, thanks for sharing your story.  It's great to have you with us.  I am the only one in my family (husband, 5 daughters) that has ever dealt with weight issues.  I've been at this for a year and they're all on board.  "Is there enough for Mom?" is always an issue when we plan family get-togethers.  I'm a former food pusher.

I love your story.  Here's to a happy forever after!

And welcome to the "scale geeks."

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »
Good Morning Andrea ;) How are the fires?

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
10% contained but that's better than 0%.  They are 100 miles from us but the air quality in the Denver area is pretty bad.  I'm worried about friends with asthma.

I'm meeting jen1975 for coffee on Saturday morning (Hi, Jen).  We've known that we live close for quite a while so we finally figured out how to make it work. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
My thoughts are with you.Very scary stuff :( Have fun with jen1975! Take a picture! ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
A picture!  Thanks for thinking of that.  I'll figure something out.

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »
Hi guys!  Yes, we'll take a pic, I can probably figure out how to get it from my phone to the computer!  I stress "probably" though... Not a techy person!   ;D ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
It's a good thing that you have a phone that can take a picture.  Mine's so basic it doesn't have a camera.

See you Saturday, Jen.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
Awh!....and FTS get together!  I love it!!  I've had the pleasure to get together with Owensmath several times....nothing like it!  Hope ya'll have a GREAT time!   :)  We all still need a big family reunion somewhere one of these days!