Author Topic: MENOPAUSE - Exciting Times  (Read 3447 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
MENOPAUSE - Exciting Times
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:43:41 AM »
I'm sure many of the ladies out there have hit this wonderous time (or close to it).  You guys too - that certain age - some medical opinions say that men go through PMS, why not menopause? 

What I would like to know is - is it really harder to lose weight when your older? menopausal?  Many reports say that as you get older it is harder to lose weight.  I realise physcially we do slow down (mentally take a stroll as well  :D).  Is is physiological, psychological or just plain bad luck? 

If we still believe we are young can't we just skip that bit?   :P  Wishful thinking.  Or is it just the same for all - if you stick to a weight loss program you will lose weight?  There are No Excuses.  Any ideas?

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MENOPAUSE - Exciting Times
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
Part of me thinks it would have to be a bit harder because as we age our metabolism slows down and we don't have the same amount of hormones as when we are younger. But at the same time, our nutritional needs are less, we have gained insight on our bodies, and more self control...so those things play in our favor. I truly believe in mind over matter. We can trick ourselves into believing in just about anything, this is one of the wonders of being human.  :) It's kind of like when someone tells you you don't look well and feels your forehead and says you are probably running a slight fever. You could have felt FINE up to that point... but suddenly you are a bit tired and you do have a little headache? I think it's a similar phenomenon... we are TOLD we wont be able to lose as easily so we buy into that mindset. KWIM? So if we tell ourselves every day we can't lose, we wont. We have to stick to the program and keep a positive mental and spiritual flow to our process.
This is what I am going to fix in my head... if a 70 year old woman can carry and deliver a healthy baby... I can drop another eighty pounds.  ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
70 year old women having babies is the stuff of nightmares!

I think that the hormonal changes as we age make it easy to put on extra weight.  I also think that low carb eating a la FTS defeats that.  I'm post-menopausal and had no problem dropping weight the FTS way.  What I had problems doing is staying cool!  My friends and I lovingly called it "personal summer." 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I am in full menopause.I call my hot flashes POWER SURGES or Kundalini Energy.They are caused by the pituitary gland.I have just accepted them and treat them with herbs.I have never taken hormones or any type of birth control.At this point in my life I am just happy to maintain my size 8-10. I think as we age it just takes more effort.I think as we age we are less active cause we tire more easily.I have seen 80 year old women lose weight on Fat to Skinny and keep it off. I think as women we can do anything we set are mind to.I love everything about getting older,wouldn't change it for anything. :)
 And Andrea ,babies at 70, Amen sista we agree!!! :D
Suzanne I also believe its mind over matter ;) And you will lose the next 80 pounds.

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
I've been in forced menopause since my early 20s.  I had to have a hysterectomy after my daughter was born.  I think it does mess with the way your body handles and processes things compaired to someone that has normal hormone ranges.  It's like someone who no longer has a Gaul bladder....you can still survive without it but your body has to find a way to function.  With menopause you may have impaired hormones but your body will find a way to accommodate.  Maybe just function a bit slower?  Just my thoughts  :)

I can't imagine having a baby at 70!!   :o 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »
Like everything else that slows with age, so do our bodies and metabolisms.
This is why older folks lose weight slower.

When I was in my early 20s, I tried the Atkins (almost 0 carb diet) and lost a ton of weight very fast.
My experience with FTS, although very successful, has been much, much slower.
As Bruce Hornsby once put it... "That's just the way it is.". ;)
What you do today is what matters!

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »
don't think of them as hot flashes.... think of it as your inner child playin with matches  ;D :D ;D :D ::)
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »
an arsonist in the making  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 01:26:34 AM »
don't think of them as hot flashes.... think of it as your inner child playin with matches 

Too funny!!   ;D ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »
 :D :D :D Well Tex my inner child has a flamethrower!!!! I have missed you!

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
:D :D :D Well Tex my inner child has a flamethrower!!!! I have missed you!

I've missed you too ;) I received my ZERO it is awesome :D

Be careful with that flamethrower lol
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »
I am so glad you liked it! :)