Author Topic: zero carb cream  (Read 6891 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
zero carb cream
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
You know what really bugs me - the fact that you have zero carb cream.  Here the lowest I can get is 0.7 carbs/20ml (equivalent to 1 tablespoon (15ml) plus a teaspoon (5ml)).  I can only put it down to the fact that it is the thickening agent they use.  But it is a nuisance factor when you have to measure up to get carb count.  So every time I see a recipe stating 0 carbs, you can bet your bottom dollar that it gonna cost here :P

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: zero carb cream
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:31:09 AM »
 :) The things that fluster us Morgan ;)

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »
I feel your pain Morgan.   I haven't been able to find any 0 carb heavy whipping cream around here lately.  Walmart has stopped stocking the brand that I like. 

Here is something interesting....I know it is off topic but what do you think about this..... The Joseph's pitas that I like to buy at Walmart, http://www.josephsbakery.com/SubPages/StaticPages/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=a882465d-659f-4dd7-9850-c8daf449f7d4   only 4 net carbs for the whole pita right?  I found some minis about half the original size that are in a package of 8....http://www.josephsbakery.com/SubPages/StaticPages/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=8483be23-39fb-492a-82c2-3d045680ff03     I was so excited to find them I figured only 2 net carbs each right???   ::)  Wrong....4 net carbs each  :o  how is that????  I'm confused and frustrated  >:(  Thinking about calling the company grrrrrrr

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
Wow Shawn!... You may have just uncovered mislabeling with Joseph's products.
Assuming the ingredients are identical, 1/2 serving size = 1/2 the carbs.

Let us know what you find out.

We can never be too careful about food labels!
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:42:01 PM »
grrrrrrrr - half the size should equal half the carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:22 PM »
 I wasn't able to find the time to call today but I did send them a email.  I'll report back when I receive any response from them. 

Assuming the ingredients are identical, 1/2 serving size = 1/2 the carbs.
Tony the big package reads that they are 37 g/ 1.33 oz and the minis are 28.3g/ 1 oz so I guess the bigger ones are just over 1/3 bigger still..... there should be a difference right??  :-\    Maybe I'm just making to much of it but this really frustrates me to no end. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »
Sherripie told me about these.I use them 3 times a week. I cut the large ones in half .I like them for burgers when I am out and about.I also like them stuffed with italian coldcuts and cheeses.They are wicked filling!They keep me full for hours.I think the only way to be sure is if they spike you.Test after eating. ;)

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »
Hi all I didn't receive that email back yet but because I have the patience of a two year old  ;D  I gave them a call.  I spoke to a very nice gentleman who asked if I was the one who had sent the email...LOL  He informed me that they are aware of the discrepancy and are in the process of correcting it.  It's the larger ones that are off on their counts.  The smaller minis will stay the same at 7 total carbs - 3 fiber= 4 net carbs.  The larger bags will read 10 total carbs - 5 fiber= 5 net carbs.  He told me that the new bags are not in use as of yet but will be out when the old bags run out...LOL  (He mentioned something about the law not requiring them to be so accurate with that part?)  Very nice man and understood totally why I was asking. (Silly me....I had said in my email that I would be reporting back to a web site with a lot of low carb friends what the response was about this wonderful product...LOL)   He wanted me to pass on that they were sorry for any confusion it may have caused.  I give the company a A+ for customer service  ;D ;D

I do wish the laws would be a little tougher about the information on these things though.  Grrrrrr   I wonder what we can do to change the laws???   ::)

On a brighter note...I now know where I can get them when my local Walmart runs out....HA!!  You can order by the case in combo with large, small and lavish  .....woot!!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:04:08 PM by TooSweet »

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »
Umpa I use them for just about everything myself.  I love to make chips with them but my favorite is toasted with cream cheese...Yummm

I don't ever notice any spikes in my blood sugar because the carbs are still low enough.....  One or two carbs off on your count can mess you up though if you are very sensitive to them, and even make you stall.  I try to keep my carbs to 15 or lower so I have room to move but still....it's frustrating....what about our friends that have type 1?   :-\

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
Thanks for following up on this, Shawn! :) :) :)

And I agree, the laws should be better (consistent) for all info on nutrition labels.
If they are not consistently accurate, you don't know which you can trust.

This is one of the reasons I like the Hidden Carb Calculator;
http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/hidden_carbs.html

I've found that the vast majority of labels are accurate (or very close).
But it's a good idea to check on those foods that you eat often.
As we know, eating too many carbs will prevent weight loss.
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
You are so right Tony.  Thanks for the reminder and the link to the hidden carb counter.  I wish we didn't need to use something like that but it is useful  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »
They freeze great TooSweet! ;) You are 100 % correct on type 1 people there is no wiggle room. I think as people demand "honest labels" the companies will do them. I sent Hersheys a email because their website is wrong.They did not subtract the sugar alcohols on their website so all the sugar free products are high carb! First time I have seen it in reverse! :D :D

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:11 AM »
First time I have seen it in reverse!

Wow that is a switch that is for sure!!  LOL 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
 ;)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
Before I even put something in my cart at the store, I will stand there and read the label. If I don't like the label, it doesn't go in my cart. In fact, I've been known to stand there and check the back of the bottles or packages of 10 different types of product (soy sauce, mustard, lunchmeat) until I find some with an acceptable carb count. Ain't no shame in my game!