Author Topic: Confession  (Read 9707 times)

Itsoversugar

• View Profile
    • Email
Confession
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »
I've not been doing very well at sticking to FTS. I did great for several days, then caved in during my oldest son's b-day party. I won't go into the details of all the junk I ate. Ever since then, I've been binging so badly. Craving sugar like a drug addict. I had planned to get back to FTS today, but already this morning I've had 6 twizzler's. It's like I just can't stop, it's almost automatic that I reach for something horrible, without much thought until the eating is done.

I'm so mad at myself. How come I can't follow through when it comes to eating right? I know I'm slowly killing myself. I have diabetes, yet I eat without a care. It's so bad that I wonder when I go to sleep at night if I will wake up in the morning. And it makes me sad and depressed because I don't want to leave my kids. They don't deserve having to grow up without me.  But the pull of sugar and junk is so strong that I almost feel powerless.

I don't want to give up. I know that I will start again. Right this minute. But I do not know how to stop this behavior. Can anyone give me some tips on how to stop?
It'sOverSugar
263.2/254/150

shawn116

Re: Confession
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »
Hi Itsoversugar   First off don't beat yourself up so badly.  Sugar addiction is such a powerful thing.   :P  

If you haven't done it you need to get all of that out of your house.  Or at the very least make an area for yourself for your FTS safe snacks and goodies.  If your are like me, my house has folks that don't eat the way I do.  So I have to keep some things around that I can't have.  If it isn't easy for you to grab though you will be less likely to.  If you must buy it for others in the house...... don't buy the things that really are hard for you to pass up until you get to were you have more will power over it.  

Also your biggest deffence will be to BE PREPARED before the grazing begins.  I can't say this enough.  If you aren't prepared for when the urge strikes you or when you are in the thrall's of hunger.....you are going to make the wrong choices.  I say it's grazing because that is exactly what it is. I've been there.... You may or may not be hungry you just want something to munch on right??  The sugar is telling you to grab the wrong things.  Don't let yourself get hungry, and if you think you are ask yourself before you grab something if you really are.  Why am I going for something to eat???  Have veggie plates, cheese and meat rolls, celery with cheese, nuts already divided into portions etc....ready to go for you to grab.  Keep beef sticks and nuts with you in your car.  Go for a walk to clear your head.....eat a sugar free hard candy or chew some gum...Drink plenty of ice cold water
Also one of my biggest helps for myself is to go back and read Doug's book again.... it really does help to go through it again when you lose your way.  Get through that sugar detox and start anew.... once you get through that detox it will be easier to over look those treats  ;)

I'm the biggest sugar addict there is..... for me always the sweeter the better.  It's funny but I always wondered what a person meant when they would say..."Man that is way to sweet I couldn't finish it!! "    ::)  to me there is no such thing as that  HA!  but you can do this!!  We are here for you every step of the way  ;)  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:05:29 AM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
Itsoversugar my heart goes out to you. :( Sugar is a drug .It is as addictive as heroin or nicotine. It releases dopamine in your brain like drugs.It is very addictive. You have to be ready to take control of your life.We can help you but you have to be ready.If I can help you please ask me.I find your picture very interesting. By the way ,your hair is beautiful ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
I am so sorry you are having a tough time.  Don't give up!  I was addicted to sugar like that too!  I remember when I first started FTS, I was making the sugar free desserts EVERY week!  I know I was over-doing it, but that helped me get over the hump without feeling so deprived.   Hey, I had strawberry pancakes for breakfast this morning!   ;D  I can now say that the longer you are on FTS, the easier it gets to forget about sugar.   I agree with TooSweet.....try to keep some FTS "go to" snacks on hand.    I remember after I made it through my first Thanksgiving & Christmas, I believed that I could make it through ANYTHING!!  You can do this!!!  I also prayed & asked God to just bless my efforts, and I know that made all the difference in my case too! We are all here for you.     

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:54:17 AM »
Don't worry, we'll catch you :) This is what I want you to do, Right now I want you to eat as much protein a you can stuff down your face. Eat a giant steak or all the chicken you can eat, ground beef, what ever you have.. Eat so much that you feel stuffed...really stuffed. Drink water, water, water along with all the protein to avoid constipation. When you feel hungry again...which won't be for quite a while do it again... Do this for 4 or 5 days in a row...Protein, protein, protein. After 4 or 5 days all your cravings will disappear and you can start cutting back on portions and adding approved veggies.

I promise you that you'll be so full you won't have any room for any junk.

Now, while you're stuffed....empty the cabinets of all the garbage. Fail safe your environment, DON"T SAVE ANYTHING, get rid of everything that you know I would frown upon.

Time to step up and get the job done.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »
Hi Itsoversugar! :)

We are recovering "carb (sugar) addicts" and know EXACTLY how you feel.
And most all of us have slipped up at one time or another.

Breaking an addiction cycle is difficult. If it weren't, it wouldn't be an "addiction".
Just follow the wonderful advice from your fellow FTS family members... It WILL work! :)

We want you to be around for your children for a VERY long time!
So take it easy on yourself and prepare for the road ahead.
We're all here for you when you need us!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
You can do this!

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »
Itsoversugar you need to clear your cabinets. My sister is diabetic and the reason I started FTS in the first place. She started getting sick a few years back. She didn't take care of herself at all. I saw what she was going through and decided I wasn't going to be like that. I wanted to be with my Husband and kiddo as long as a can and not as burden to them. So I started FTS, threw out everything in cabinets and did it. Carbs to me are like heroin. If I go off the program I become addicted again. It is horrible, literally a piece of cake will start that whole vicious cycle again and it takes FULL WEEK for me to stop dreaming about it again. And you know, it doesn't taste anywhere near as good as I think it's going too before I eat it. Then I'm stuck with the cravings all over again.

You can do this! My sister is currently in the Cardiac ICU. She's been there a month now. She's has a triple heart bypass and six heart attacks after the bypass. She is now legally blind (diabetes) and her lungs and kidneys are giving out. This is all because of diabetes and making poor choices and she is only 51. Don't let food do this to you. Love you and love your family..Get back on FTS now! You're are worth it!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
Wow Sherripie!  Sending good thoughts to you and your family; hope you guys can pull through this hard time. 

Itsoversugar - don't be too hard on yourself!  Guess what, we all fall off the wagon!  I'm dragging myself back onto it as we speak!  You know what you need to do, and you know how.  It's really hard and I have to mentally realize that I have addictive tendencies when it comes to sugar; just like people who are addicted to drugs, to nicotine, etc.  And just a little puts me right over the edge.  Clean out your cupboards and know that you're soooo not alone!!!  We are here for you whenever you need us!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
Sherripie I am so sorry ??? ***HUGZ*** If you need to talk get a hold of me

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »
Itsoversugar -  :'(  don't beat yourself up. Take a deep breath and forget yesterday.  Like an AA step - do one day at a time. If you falter, shrug it off then return to the 'good (sugarfree  :D ) side'.  You can't fix yesterday, but today and tomorrow you can work on.

Sherripie -  so sorry about your sis.  Prayers on way.

Itsoversugar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 06:05:44 AM »
I want to thank everyone who posted here.  I don't have much support from family/friends, so it means a lot to me that you took the time to give me advice.  I'm on a time crunch right now, gotta get to work, and can't really post while I'm there. But to let you guys know, I've still had a lot of hit or miss moments on FTS. I think back to the time when low carb has worked for me and I realize those times were when I did not count every single thing I put in my mouth. I just simply ate low carb. Every now and then I would count a day or two just to make sure everything was on point. That was it.  So, I may go back to that.  Aside from my cravings, the counting/restriction factor is getting to me. I never have done well on any plan that required counting. I'd still need to make this WOE work for me. So general low carb it is until I can do better.  Can I still hang around here if I am not doing FTS 100%?
It'sOverSugar
263.2/254/150

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
Of course you can.We are always here for you. I don't keep anything in my house that isn't low carb and that works for me.If I can help you please ask. ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »
But your are doing FTS, just adapted to what you can handle.  That's a perfect example of making it work for you!

Congratulations on being flexible!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »
We're always here for you, Itsoversugar! :) :) :)

Just commit yourself to FTS and do the very best you can.
No one can expect more.

To this day, I write down EVERYTHING that passes my lips.
I found this to a big help in learning how my body responds to different foods and different amounts.
This knowledge helps me a great deal especially when I'm away and not able to record things right away.
What you do today is what matters!