Author Topic: Once a month cheat.  (Read 3568 times)

damooster

• View Profile
    • Email
Once a month cheat.
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »
Every 4th Monday, I go to a fraternal meeting where dinner is served. The meals are not FTS friendly and I'm wondering if "cheating" once a month is going to set me back a lot. I would not eat the whole meal, I would just eat enough for them to not bombard me with questions. It's a tuxedo event and I don't know if bringing my own dinner is appropriate.

Any suggestions/comments?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Once a month cheat.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
This is a tough question. If it was me I would eat before I went and make the best food choices I could ;) Meat and greens will keep you lean :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
The eating beforehand is a great suggestion.  The reason you need to be careful is that one carb-laden meal can trigger cravings and put you back in to detox mode.  If you can chow down ahead of time (can you do that in a tux?) you can eat the salad and the rubber chicken and leave the "starch" on the plate.  That will not draw attention to your eating habits, if anyone is really keeping track.

Remember that your food choices have become very important to you but probably are not so important to others.  When your weight loss becomes obvious, it's easier when others notice.  Then all you need to say is, "It works for me.  Do you want my dessert?"

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:40 AM »
Yep that is what I would say as well, and then search out the items that you can have.  I always keep nuts on me but I throw a few sugar free candies in my pocket so that I can have something sweet while others have their dessert.    :)

But really don't feel bad about needing a tweak in the menu....there are many people out there that need diet restrictions because of health issues ( I can hide behind my diabetes and do sometimes when I'm just tired of explaining that I am low carb) ......It's time for everyone to realize that needing to lose weight is just that....a health issue .....JUST AS IMPORTANT.  Stick to your guns and have a great time  ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:45:15 AM by TooSweet »

damooster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
The meals are just served to us; we don't have a choice as to what they put in front of us. Most of the time it's a meat entree with either a vegetable side or starchy side. One time I didn't eat everything on my plate and the server made this really snarky comment. So I'm nervous about that happening.

It's a small group so they will definitely notice that I'm not eating. I will have to tell them about my new lifestyle. I just wanted to know what could happen physiologically if I had one bad meal. I'm not worried about falling off the band wagon I just want to know what will happen to my body from one bad meal a month.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
Hi damooster! :)

I feel where you're coming from!

My wife occasionally "drags" me off to these work-related formal dinners every few months.
When I go, I'll eat the protein and veggies. But skip the taters, desserts, etc..

I have never run into a snarky waiter. But if I did, I would just ignore him/her.
After all, I'm not attending the function to make the waiters happy.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
I am probably odd man out here but I do have the occasional "fun" meal.  Not to make others happy though ~ what others think of my eating plan means nothing to me.  I do it for myself.  I simply am not willing to say that I will never eat a particular food ever again.  I have found that if I contain it to a single meal (eaten within an hour) and not a whole day of fun it does not effect my weight at all.  That's just me though  :)

damooster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
I am probably odd man out here but I do have the occasional "fun" meal.  Not to make others happy though ~ what others think of my eating plan means nothing to me.  I do it for myself.  I simply am not willing to say that I will never eat a particular food ever again.  I have found that if I contain it to a single meal (eaten within an hour) and not a whole day of fun it does not effect my weight at all.  That's just me though  :)

Thanks Kim. I do exercise everyday so I'm hoping that one meal won't have too much of an impact. I hate to do it, but it would save me a lot of trouble at these meetings; a big fuss will be made if I don't eat. Plus I have to pay $25 regardless of if I eat or not so I don't want to waste that money!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
I'll tell you what I would do, I'd let the chef or the organizers know in advance that you need a "diabetic friendly" meal meaning no starch...just meats and greens...I'd even pay extra if required. Everyone is sensitive to "special needs" people and believe me diabetics are special needs people. Even if you don't suffer from the disease the way we eat is the healthy way for diabetics as well  ;) 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

damooster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
I'll tell you what I would do, I'd let the chef or the organizers know in advance that you need a "diabetic friendly" meal meaning no starch...just meats and greens...I'd even pay extra if required. Everyone is sensitive to "special needs" people and believe me diabetics are special needs people. Even if you don't suffer from the disease the way we eat is the healthy way for diabetics as well  ;)

Thanks Doug. I will speak to the food people today. I doubt they will be able to do something about it for tonight, but this may help me with future dinners.

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
Nice move there Doug! 8)
 Lots of good suggestions. I have to agree with Kim too. I do much better with the attitude of "I don't want that" than the "I can't have that".
Good Luck!

fineman

• I am truely blessed!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 03:54:28 AM »
Hi

I also have to go out to formal dinners. what I do is I have only zero carb non- veg for lunch and breakfast. Maybe only cucumber or one egg white as a snack. And then make best possible choice at the dinner.
Anyway I never got 100% marks in school.... so if my carbs go to 25 or 30 I will not let myself feel guilty. Because I know under the circumstances I am doing my best.

Thats my way.

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »
I also have to go out to formal dinners. what I do is I have only zero carb non- veg for lunch and breakfast. Maybe only cucumber or one egg white as a snack. And then make best possible choice at the dinner.
Anyway I never got 100% marks in school.... so if my carbs go to 25 or 30 I will not let myself feel guilty. Because I know under the circumstances I am doing my best.

Thats my way.
  Good point well made Fineman  ;)

I think the worst that could happen Damooster is that you have to detox the sugar....no biggy  Thanks to Doug we know what to do  :)  Enjoy your evening