Author Topic: Funny Stomach Issues Part II - The Body under STRESS  (Read 3618 times)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
Funny Stomach Issues Part II - The Body under STRESS
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »
So, for those of you playing at home for a while, I wrote about having funny stomach issues  :-[ when I first started FTS. Eventually I went astray  :-\ but then came back  :D, ready to start again. Recently, around the same time I chose to restart FTS,  I made a very positive (but stressful ) decision to stop my second grad program (enough is enough!) and start making some money. This is connected to an ever building career change I have in the works that will require me to get some skills. I'm adept at big changes (I've lived in a few different states and love adventure) so this isn't a big deal, but dropping the grad program IS, including the world of possibility and uncertainty I have jumped into.

HOWEVER, I got ready to do FTS again but then my stomach started getting funny again. I'm a very emotional person and my stomach reacts to life changes. All is going back to normal right now (thank God) but I stalled my new start. I have managed to avoid wheat and lower my carbs, but not near where they should be.

So my question for everyone is this: If your stomach gets funny, especially in stressful times, how do you eat and still stay FTS? I find that if I consume too much fat, it makes me sick when I"m stressed. I've also heard that you need extra protein when you're stressed because the body will literally cannibalize itself to make up for the stress. So it seems that eating FTS would be ideal during times of high stress. Still, what kinds of things do you eat with a stress reactive stomach?

I can name a couple of things I can eat while stressed: GG Brancrisp with cream cheese or peanut butter, bacon, muffin in a minute, hot dogs.

Any other ideas for handling stress while eating FTS and not letting it derail you?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Funny Stomach Issues Part II - The Body under STRESS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »
In the book you'll find my recipe for crunchy p-nut butter, 1 net carb per tablespoon. I pack 2 or 3 celery sticks and munch away. The nuts are a natural stomach stress reliever, the protein from the soy and the fat from the nuts is very filling and the cool crunch of the celery is very satisfying. B-)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Funny Stomach Issues Part II - The Body under STRESS
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
Actually there are times that I suffer from anxiety.  The stomach rolls and you get not quite the shakes, but stress it is.  I have a herbal tea that I like - Twinnings Lemon and Ginger - which really helps and also making my own chicken soup (probably more like stock, no noodles, celery, onion and the boiled chicken shredded) or even quicker - beef stock (from long life tetra pack) with finely cut zucchini in a mug in a microwave.  Make sure it's really hot so it takes a while to finish.  By the time you finish you feel full.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
peppermint tea and yoga. Morgans ginger tea is excellent too.Yoga calms the body from the inside out.Just 15 minutes a day will de-stress the body.Its great for hot flashes too. I think your issue like mine is a type a personality. ;)

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Sometimes I just need a time out. ( I have anxiety issues too) Cool bath in a shaded room with a nice cup of chocolate mint oolong tea usually does the trick. Walking while plugged into my ipod also helps.
*hugs*

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »
Oooh, great ideas! Thanks everyone! Doug, Umpa, and Morgan, those are all great ideas. I keep FTS book in my kitchen for reference. I will have to look for the PB recipe. Peanut butter works well when my stomach gets all weird and that's a great idea. 

Morgan, the broth is a good idea. Not too much but some good salt. No wonder i've been craving soup lately.

Umpa, I thnk you're right....total Type A.  I do need to start doing more yoga. Now that I don't have to worry about homework anymore (yea! I have a life!) I have more time for yoga.

It's getting better now but man, I need a contingency plan for next time. I do hope that anyone having this problem will see this thread. You all have listed some excellent ideas!  :D

Peppermint tea is awesome  ;D