Author Topic: Heavy cream??  (Read 6865 times)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Heavy cream??
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
I know I read in the book that heavy cream is 0 net carbs but when I figured it out on the carb counter online that was recommended it is coming out to be about 1.5 net carbs? Can someone clarify?

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy cream??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
The walmart one I use to use has 0 but it it came out to 1 . But I like half and half it is 2 tablespoons for 1 .
So if you go by the hidden carb counter you have to count 1 for either the heavy cream or the half & half

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
same with me, the shoprite brand has 0 carbs listed but came out to 1.5 like i said. i am using it for the cream of broccoli soup i found on here. when you use the hidden carb counter you use the "actual carb count" vs the difference by weight? what is that anyway ?

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
How about using Coconut Milk in the Carton?  The lowest carb one is 1 carb per cup.... Would that work for your soup?

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
Hi Kim
I am not sure coconut milk would taste ok for cream of broccoli soup? i never used coconut milk i will have to keep that in mind : )

Joagain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »
When I use the whole carton in a recipe I always count it  as 8 carbs just for good measure
Use this one after u subtract fiber from the carb count that's the amount of carbs you put in the carb amount in the case of the heavy cream it does not have fiber so put exactly what is on the carton see what you get

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/hidden_carb_calculator.html

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
Hi Jo,
i went to that link and it comes up to 1.25 per serving which is 1 tablespoon. there is 64 servings in the whole container so that makes 80 carbs?? how do you get 8 carbs? HELP! lol i think i am confusing myself

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »
This is an excellent question. I'm confused myself on the carb count. Thus far, my carton has a carb count of "0". I can't imagine that something with NO milk sugars, JUST cream, would have that many carbs. I just used 1/4 cup of it the other day to make the super fast brownie recipe (which was TASTY!). 1 carb per tbsp? Cheese (block) had no carbs..why would heavy cream be different?

Joagain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
Ok  I used   the 16 ounce(1pint) Great value  has 32 -1Tablespoons servings . it says 0 carbs so if I used it I would count 0.5 carbs per serving which would be 16 and the bag of broccoli is 10 carbs so it would be 26 carbs for the whole pot of soup. Which is 4.2 per serving (6)

I did it on the calculator too and it does come up to 1.25 and I am not sure why I just did my half & half and it came out at -2.5 so something is not right with that calculator. . One thing I just noticed on the label is that the heavy cream use to have 1 g of protein When you do it like this it works 50/5/1/0

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/hidden_carbs.html

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
When you buy your heavy cream be sure to buy one that actually lists O carbs VS one that lists < 1 carb and you'll be OK. Manufactures differ from one to the next so be sure to check labels. The only time you'll have hidden carbs which are not listed on most labels will be when the serving size is so small they aren't required to list them. As is the case with Splenda packets and Tic Tac mints.  ;) 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Heavy cream??
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »
Thank you doug for clarifying. So is it safe to assume when using heavy cream with 0 carbs listed on container that I count that as 0 when using a whole container in a recipe? I feel confused as to when I should be using the hidden carb counter? Maybe that's what my real question is. I have been using it for almost everything other than meats ect.... thanks to anyone who can help me : )

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
Yes, your safe. As far as the hidden carb counter I can't comment on it's accurecy or its designer, I never saw it before this morning.  8) Me, I stick to reading labels and ingredients.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
When you buy your heavy cream be sure to buy one that actually lists O carbs VS one that lists < 1 carb and you'll be OK. Manufactures differ from one to the next so be sure to check labels. The only time you'll have hidden carbs which are not listed on most labels will be when the serving size is so small they aren't required to list them. As is the case with Splenda packets and Tic Tac mints.  ;) 

I'm re-posting this because this is EXCELLENT advice ;D!  Yet another benefit of FTS. NO crazy confusion or little rules to worry about.  So for my own clarity, I will summarize what Doug just said:

If it has <1 carb listed on the label, there are probably hidden carbs. If the package lists "0" carbs on the label, then it has 0 carbs which you can count on with a high level of confidence.

That sounds good to me! I made the 5 minute brownie again for breakfast and enjoyed 1/4 cup of 0 carb heavy cream and I now feel REALLY good about it. Not to mention that I feel really FULL about it too. Love that feeling. <3

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Hi Waterlilly! :)

The only thing I'd add is to also read the ingredients lists on the food label.

Since the FDA is not very fussy about carb count accuracy, some food labels can be confusing.

For this reason, if I see a label that is a bit unclear, I'll read the ingredients list.
If any of the first three ingredients is high carb (e.g wheat, rice, etc.), I won't buy it.

I've found that products with confusing carb counts tend to have more carbs than they claim.
This is where the hidden carb counter comes in handy.

Like Doug, I've not seen that hidden carb counter version until today.
This is the one I've used for almost 2 years and have had good luck with it.
http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/hidden_carbs.html

Its calculations are very close to the FDA food listings.
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

Other than those confusing labels we sometimes encounter, FTS is very simple and easy to follow.
What you do today is what matters!

Joagain

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
Tony that is the one that said it had 1.25 in it . I know for a fact that the great value heavy cream had 1 gram of protein now online it says it has 0 proteins which is why that counter is wrong .
I myself always count .5 carbs per tablespoon of heavy whipping cream ,I always count something as 1 if in doubt  ;)