Author Topic: Tyler's doctors appointment  (Read 4538 times)

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
Tyler's doctors appointment
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
Wow I don't even know what to say he told them he was low caring and they went crazy
Said he needed carbs to grow and that eating more protein and fat was going to put him on  meds for his cholesterol and on & on . I said well I know for a fact that the cholesterol has one down in a lot of people on low carb mine included

She said well type  1 have a higher risk of problems and if you need more insulin to cover the carbs you eat it is no problem . He said I like eating low carb  and she said  well to much protein is not good . I said well too much of anything is not good and that goes for artificial insulin .
 Well she went and got his last 2 blood test that he takes every dec and said well
In 2010 HDL - 76    cholesterol-182    triglyceride - 108. LDL-90
In 2011 HDL -83   Cholesterol -204     triglyceride - 64.  LDL -109
So We will see if it goes up in  Dec ,I said ok .
I am wore out after that visit it is the oly children's doctor here . At 18 he will be able to o to another doc

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tyler's doctors appointment
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »
I'm really sorry you had to go through that.  It sounds like you handled it okay. 

Tyler knows how he feels.  That seems the best indication of success.  There are also was to limit fat a bit.  I'm pretty sure Doug has some information on that topic. 

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Tyler's doctors appointment
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
Hi jo I am sorry that had to deal with this. I just would like to add to this coversation that I work in the intensive care unit and work with many patients who are in dka and on insulins drips . With that being said I work with many different endocrinologist who support low carb eating for their patients.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »
Hi Jo! :)

Kudos to you for handling that situation!

Like other folks, some providers just have a hard time "thinking outside the box".
Others understand that the practice of medicine is just that... PRACTICE!
They know that there's more to learn all the time.
If they REALLY knew it all, they would say they're "perfecting" medicine and not "practicing" it.

The the carbs in the world around you, you know what to do with poor advice too!

If Tyler had a VERY unusual complication that required him to eat more than 20 carbs a day, that's one thing.
But from everything you've shared, it seems that he doesn't.

So hang in there!... He'll be able to get another doc before much longer!

Tony :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:47:00 AM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
Gosh Jo I bet that was exhausting  :-\   I used to get so frustrated with my kids docs.  I was so glad when they could start going to see mine.  Good for you for sticking to your guns though!  I would have thought that less insulin would be the best goal to shoot for  ???  What was his A1C this time?  Hang in there girl  :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
You poor thing.  Sometimes it's not worth arguing.  Just nod and say yes and leave it all when you walk out the door.
You know you are doing the right thing, so does your son.  Hugs all round.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
For men, the LDL level should also be less than 100, but the HDLs should be above 40 mg/dL. According to the article "Boosting the Good Cholesterol" on Medical News Today, these respective levels of HDL are considered the minimum before the HDL level becomes a risk factor for heart disease.

I see nothing wrong with these numbers Jo, Tylers HDL (good) is great, His Tryglicerides (sugar indicators) are perfect and his LDL (Bad) is just slightly up. Add more dark green veggies to Tylers intake, Collards, Spinach, Mustard Greens, Beet Greens, Cabbage etc.... Also let him know that at his age exercise and sports are his friend  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
Doctors give you opinions,thats all. You are his mother. ;)

Joagain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
Thanks guys and you are right Umpa he like all of us feels so much better when he eats low carb?
Doug she said that they don't do anything to a teenager unless LDL is 130 or above . Is that not high or is the 100 just for adult males?
His A1C was 7.5 this time very high for him but still in there range of normal for a type 1 teen . He was mad because he thought it would be lower then his 6.1 last time but it was from all the insulin they had him on for more carb to insulin ratio so he would go low then eat to feel better we or should I say I have adjusted it pretty low now and will see if I need to go lower .

Sad  that they just want to pump them with more insulin :(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:58:22 PM by Joagain »

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
Remember Jo that reading was a snapshot of that hourly period, heck it may have been 5.5 three hours earlier!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Joagain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
Doug i would think it was wrong too 4 months ago he was 6.1 and he has been eating FTS even more in the last 4 months .  Maybe that is what is was  Just thought about it too he has never been fasting when they have done those blood test to check his LDL and all I think in Dec he will fast and get a true tet result .

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
Doug i would think it was wrong too 4 months ago he was 6.1 and he has been eating FTS even more in the last 4 months .  Maybe that is what is was  Just thought about it too he has never been fasting when they have done those blood test to check his LDL and all I think in Dec he will fast and get a true test result .

Hi Jo! :)

A 12 hour fast before baseline cholesterol and blood glucose testing is a good idea.
In fact, my doc insists on it!

The effects of any food eaten before could likely be reflected in the tests.
And depending what was eaten and when, the results could be dramatically effected.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:49:25 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »
You should 100% fast before a lipid panel! Being in the field I deal with this on a daily basis. Tony you are absolutely right anything you eat prior to test will alter the test. Best wishes friends : )

Joagain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 06:22:40 AM »
I knew that you needed to be fasting for a true reading but she has never mentioned one time about is LDL until I mentioned FTS and it being low carb . So this time for sure he will be fasting . Do think a little coke zero would hurt too much I don't know if he will go 3 hours after waking without at least a little coke zero he can go without food no problem .

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
I don't think it will hurt too much but I wouldn't drink more than little bit to wet his mouth.....water would be better only because there are no additives. : )