Author Topic: xanthan gum  (Read 4511 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
xanthan gum
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:26:44 AM »
I use xanthan gum as a thickening agent but was wondering if there were any other alternatives.  The xanthan gum gives me that 'slime' sort of taste/texture.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: xanthan gum
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
Hi Morgan! :)

I use Guar Gum as well.
http://www26.netrition.com/now_guar_gum_powder_page.html

I have not noticed anything "slimy" with it. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

Itsoversugar

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: xanthan gum
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:03 AM »
Hi Morgan! :)

I use Guar Gum as well.
http://www26.netrition.com/now_guar_gum_powder_page.html

I have not noticed anything "slimy" with it. ;)
yep. This. I use guar all the time without a problem. Thought about buying xanthan to try next but now I won't.
It'sOverSugar
263.2/254/150

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
I use gluccomon powder . Its $20 a bag but you only use about a 1/4 teaspoon.I have been using the same bag for three years and its still full.I also use it to coat my oriental fried food. Xantham gum does work,maybe you are using too much? a little goes  a long way. It just takes time to thicken. ;)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:54:24 AM »
Hi again umpa, I'm still using xanthan gum.  It does thicken but is there some hint that I am missing in how to use it?  I tend to just sprinkle it on while I am cooking, but sometimes that just leaves me with lumpy bits.  If I premix I usually have to put through a little strainer while adding to my cooking which is a pain.

Any hints?

NOW has gluccomman powder (8oz) is this the same as the one you have?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
I use xatham gum to keep my ice cream from icing up. If using for gravies or sauces any thickener I dissolve in hot water first.I bought my gluccoman at the chinese market but I use NOW products daily,I love them ;)

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
I can't remember where I read it, but if you mix it in a bit of oil instead of just liquid it will dissolve much better.   Then you can add it to your recipe without fear of the lumps.  This works wonderfully for my gravies.   I would say if you are feeling a slime..... you may be using too much  :P I don't blame you...that is pretty icky.   It's tricky to sprinkle it in...if you sprinkle too much you end up with bits of slimey lumps.  You really want to just dust the surface and stir like crazy.  With that way I find that if the liquid is very hot if not boiling and give my arm a workout....it will come out smooth.  My first couple of times I had to put it in the blender...LOL  Remember a little goes a long way  :)