Author Topic: Am I doing this right so far?  (Read 4107 times)

Emmitt

• View Profile
Am I doing this right so far?
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »
This is my first day of 3 day test. 

Here is what I am eating for lunch right now.

Lettuce - 1 cup = .5 carb
Tomato - 1/2 cup = 3 carb
Broccoli - 1/2 cup = 2 carb
Red Pepper - 1/2 cup = 3 carb

Raspberry vinegar dressing - Sugar free - 1 carb (with 2 tbsp.)

Total Net Carb is 9.5

Earlier this morning for Breakfast total is 6 Net Carb

So total so far it is 15.5 Net Carb.

Am I doing correctly so far?  :)  Do you have any recommendation for dressing with zero carb?  Thanks~

SusansTurn

• View Profile
Re: Am I doing this right so far?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »
I'm new at this but shouldn't you have some protein and a bit of fat with your salad? I'd be starving!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »
smartin08 is right, Audra.

If you replace the tomato and red pepper with turkey strips and a hard-boiled egg, you'd save yourself 5.4 carbs.  You don't have many left for the rest of the day.

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
Hi Emmitt  as you can see a simple harmless looking salad can get out of hand very quickly  :-\  It looks like you are doing fine but you don't seem to have left yourself much room for carbs for the rest of the day.  Don't get me wrong you could still be doing ok for the rest of the day but it can be a little tricky to not go over.  Most of my days my carb intake is less than 15 net.  

I apologize if you have already said, but is your three day test for finding your true hunger??   I only ask because finding your true hunger may not fall in the traditional breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I myself am seldom hungry until around 11 am.  I do try to make myself eat a bit of protein when I have my coffee in the morning though....It seems to help keep my energy up otherwise nothing until I am truly hungry.

1 net carb isn't to bad for a dressing on your salad.  You might like some to the Walden Farms dressings http://www6.netrition.com/waldenfarms_salad_dressing_page.html  Some folks like them really well, but I'm a blue cheese junkie so I love my http://www.maries.com/product-detail.aspx?productID=1&catID=4&pcatID=1  I also like to make my own dressings with oil, vinegar and spices...that way I know what is in there  ;)  Smartin08 and Andrea is right.... you do need more protein to keep you from being hungry.  But keep up the good work...You will get the hang of it before long  :)    
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:08:33 PM by TooSweet »

Emmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
You guys are right! I didn't realize that! I do have "Grilled & Ready"  fully cooked oven roasted diced chicken breast - I could have added that to my salad! It is only 2 carb and 1 sugar but I can ignore sugar since it is not sugar alcohol.  I just ate cheese stick with zero carb.  I am drinking water.  Sigh, I'm learning. lol 

I am cooking for early supper right now for my work.

I just grilled chicken 4 0z for 0 carb (in the oven) I added adobe seasoning for 1 carb.

I cooked chopped spinach frozen bag.  I subtracted carb (2) and fiber (2) is 0 carb. 

Also made strawberry for 3.5 carb with 1/2 cup along with whipping.  How much whipping do I put it on strawberry?

How much carb is hard boiled egg?  I just had eggs for breakfast.  Will it hurt if I eat scrambled eggs for breakfast then eat hard boiled egg for salad for lunch?

Thanks for your supportive and patience with me.  :)

Emmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
Thank you! I will look at these links tonight after work. 

Hi Emmitt  as you can see a simple harmless looking salad can get out of hand very quickly  :-\  It looks like you are doing fine but you don't seem to have left yourself much room for carbs for the rest of the day.  Don't get me wrong you could still be doing ok for the rest of the day but it can be a little tricky to not go over.  Most of my days my carb intake is less than 15 net.  

I apologize if you have already said, but is your three day test for finding your true hunger??   I only ask because finding your true hunger may not fall in the traditional breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I myself am seldom hungry until around 11 am.  I do try to make myself eat a bit of protein when I have my coffee in the morning though....It seems to help keep my energy up otherwise nothing until I am truly hungry.

1 net carb isn't to bad for a dressing on your salad.  You might like some to the Walden Farms dressings http://www6.netrition.com/waldenfarms_salad_dressing_page.html  Some folks like them really well, but I'm a blue cheese junkie so I love my http://www.maries.com/product-detail.aspx?productID=1&catID=4&pcatID=1  I also like to make my own dressings with oil, vinegar and spices...that way I know what is in there  ;)  Smartin08 and Andrea is right.... you do need more protein to keep you from being hungry.  But keep up the good work...You will get the hang of it before long  :)    

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
You guys are right! I didn't realize that! I do have "Grilled & Ready"  fully cooked oven roasted diced chicken breast - I could have added that to my salad! It is only 2 carb and 1 sugar but I can ignore sugar since it is not sugar alcohol.
  I would replace this with some I do myself for 0 carbs.  I'm stingy with my net carbs  ;D  I go for 0 wherever I can  ;)

I cooked chopped spinach frozen bag.  I subtracted carb (2) and fiber (2) is 0 carb. 
What brand are you using?   is this per serving or for the whole bag?  I'm asking because I have on my list the net count for 1/2 cup frozen spinach as 2 net carbs.

Also made strawberry for 3.5 carb with 1/2 cup along with whipping.  How much whipping do I put it on strawberry?

You want to follow your serving sizes here.  If you are using Reddi wip you will need to count 1 carb per 2 Tbs..  If you can find the Land O'Lakes in the can they have a 0 carb one.....or you can use 0 carb heavy whipping cream and sweetener to make your own  ;)

How much carb is hard boiled egg?  I just had eggs for breakfast.  Will it hurt if I eat scrambled eggs for breakfast then eat hard boiled egg for salad for lunch?
these days I like to count my eggs when I have 2 as 1 carb it's about .6 per egg so really 1.2 to be exact.  There are some that have extra omegas that claim on their carton 0 like Egglands Best and I have used that in my counts in the past but truth be told I was probably off on my carb count  :-\   It's best to stick to the high side just in case.  It wont hurt you a bit to eat eggs.  I eat them all through the day  :)  The incredible edible egg  ;D ;D ;D  super food

Emmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
What brand are you using?   is this per serving or for the whole bag?  I'm asking because I have on my list the net count for 1/2 cup frozen spinach as 2 net carbs.

The brand name is "Chopped Spinach" frozen bag.  It is per serving.  I put in 1/2 cup as 2 net carbs.  But I subtracted carb and fiber which is 0 carb. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
Hi Audra! :)

Keeping it simple early on your FTS journey will help you get a hang of things much quicker and easier.

Just remember to emphasize protein and fats.
Such as beef, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, and most block cheeses.
With those, be sure to eat some greens, but be careful... Rabbit food makes rabbits (and us) fat! ;)

Be very careful with prepackaged foods as they often have added carbs.
ALWAYS read nutrition labels and ingredients lists before buying.

We've found that fats actually help speed up weight loss.
But like anything else, moderation is key. :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Emmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »
Hi Tony! Which greens should I avoid?  I eat cheese stick with zero carb. About prepackaged foods - I have shrimp prepackaged food that is 0 carb...there are few that has 0 carb. 

Keeping it simple early on your FTS journey will help you get a hang of things much quicker and easier.

Just remember to emphasize protein and fats.
Such as beef, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, and most block cheeses.
With those, be sure to eat some greens, but be careful... Rabbit food makes rabbits (and us) fat! ;)

Be very careful with prepackaged foods as they often have added carbs.
ALWAYS read nutrition labels and ingredients lists before buying.

We've found that fats actually help speed up [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/][url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss[/url][/url].
But like anything else, moderation is key. :)

Tony
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:32:13 PM by Emmitt »

SusansTurn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
Emmitt - You do not subtract carb and fiber to get net carbs, only fiber and sugar alcohols.

So the label on your spinach is correct. Subtract the fiber from the carbs and that equals the NET CARB.

Emmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
This doesn't make any sense to me.  I've been told to look at Carb, fiber and sugar alcohols OR Carb and fiber. 

For example:  Carb 5 gram, Fiber 2 gram, Sugar alcohol 1 gram.  I subtract Carb - Fiber - Sugar equals is 2 net carbs!

Or  Carb 4 gram and Fiber 3 gram.  I subtract Carb - Fiber equals 1 net carb. 

That is what I'm understanding.

Emmitt - You do not subtract carb and fiber to get net carbs, only fiber and sugar alcohols.

So the label on your spinach is correct. Subtract the fiber from the carbs and that equals the NET CARB.

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Am I doing this right so far?
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
Yes emmitt that's correct not the above statement

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:16 AM »

See the veggie list in Doug's book.
They're all OK as long as you measure your portions and count the carbs.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

SusansTurn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:50 AM »
I was misunderstanding what Emmitt was saying. Sorry if I caused any confusion!!