Author Topic: What do you order at fast food restaurants and still lose?  (Read 4303 times)

Thinisin

• View Profile
What do you order at fast food restaurants and still lose?
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
I had a burger with lettuce for the bun, mustard, & pickles and didn't lose at all, like I normally do. Even gained a pound!

So, what's safe to order out there? :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you order at fast food restaurants and still lose?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
Hi Thinisin! :)

A burger with lettuce as a "bun" is FTS approved (and recommended).

Our weight will fluctuate slightly up and down no matter what we do.
It's just how our bodies operate.

As I've said in other posts, it's the long term trend that's most important.
If the scale is moving in a downward trend, you're doing great! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Thinisin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
Thanks! I'll remember that! :D feels odd that I lose everyday, except for when I eat out...

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »
Thanks! I'll remember that! :D feels odd that I lose everyday, except for when I eat out...

If you're losing everyday with the only exception being days you eat out, pay closer attention to what you're eating in restaurants.
Even though you may order a meal that seems low in carbs, most salad dressings, sauces, gravies, etc. hide TONS of hidden carbs.

The restaurant rule is... Keep it simple!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
I LOVE a good cobb salad! I ordered one last night and was surprised at how filling the small one was. I typically would think that I need to get a large salad for a meal....but cobb salads are full of filling things like avacado, bacon, egg and sometimes turkey and topped with gorgonzolla or blue cheese. Holy moly! It was awesome and filling and only $6! What a way to eat out!

I also love grilled salmon and a side of green beans and a side caesar salad (this is my standard fare at Texas Roadhouse). YUM! Asian restaurants are tough. I've found that kimchi soup and spicy tofu and seafood soup at Korean restaurants are great and lower in carbs than other dishes. But I definitely don't loose weight on the days I eat out. I just accept that it's going to be a stall day and get back on track the next day. Not that I'm eating any "wrong" foods...I'm just eating more than I typically would at home.

Thinisin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »
Did you lose after the Cobb salad? I'm in Texas too! What restaurant has your fav Cobb Salad?

I don't know how you go to Tx Roadhouse & skip the ribs??? ;) ;) ;) They're so good!!!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
I know! The ribs are crazy good but to be honest, the worst are those incredible rolls with sweet cinnamon butter! GAH! I put them on the end of the table where my kids are and ask them not to bring more when it's empty. The cobb salad I had last night was at Opal Divines and it was DIVINE!! :) I also like going to Jason's Deli and making my own salad for lunch! Texas Land and Cattle makes a really good cobb salad, too! I didn't loose after last night...but I also drank a few glasses of diet coke, which tends to make me stall. But...like I said, I just don't expect to lose after getting to eat out. :) But I don't gain and I didn't fall off the FTS wagon, so I'm happy!

But seriously, if you've got an Opal Divine's near you, go and have a small cobb salad. $6 and I was full all night!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
There's more salt in commercially prepared food.  That can cause water retention but it's temporary.

Cobb salad, no tomatoes, is my standard eating out option.  I have business lunches fairly often and it's available almost all the time.

Thinisin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »
Wow!! Awesome tips! Thank you!! :) :) :)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
There's more salt in commercially prepared food.  That can cause water retention but it's temporary.

Cobb salad, no tomatoes, is my standard eating out option.  I have business lunches fairly often and it's available almost all the time.

Cobb salads are excellent. I think avoiding tomatoes is also a very good idea. The carb counts are just too high.

AliciaInTX

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
Oh! Another Texas favorite is Chuys' Baja Fish tacos and I bring my own low-carb tortilla and dump the insides into it. :) My daughter about died when she saw me do it....but hey! I can eat at Chuys the FTS way!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 08:17:35 AM »
That's easy.... Protein and greens  ;)

Meats and greens will make you lean :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)