Author Topic: Frustrated at 254  (Read 8848 times)

Maddie-N-AbbiesDad

• View Profile
Frustrated at 254
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
Hello all, my name is James AKA MaddiesDad. I have been Following the plan for the last 10 days and have had marked improvement. During the first 6 days I lost a little over a pound a day, then the nothing. I started @ 265 pounds and dropped to 254 on day 6, but since then it has stayed there no gain, but no loss either. I have been on diets before, over and over again, and they have failed for various reasons, but mostly because I get frustrated that I follow the diet to the letter and stop loosing. I started this life style change hoping for better results, I am only 5'6" so as you can tell from my weight I am classified as morbidly obese. I have two beautiful girls at home that just turned 6 & 8, and I want to be around for them for years to come. The girls are my inspiration and they are why I made the choice to make this a true lifestyle change and not just a diet, but I feel like I'm sort of back into not seeing the results again. My carb intake has been less than 20g a day and my caloric intake has been between 800 to 1300 a day. I notice that my sodium is a little higher but I drink over 64 oz of water or unsweetened decaf tea a day, no beer, wine, or soft drinks (cola, pop, soda pop). I do have a EAS Carb AdvantEdge protein and multi vitamin drink for breakfast (Protein 17, Carbs 3, Dietary Fiber .5, Sugar 0), but other than that, I eat following the guidelines that Doug has set forth in his books ( I have 4 of them). Please tell me this is normal and I should just wait it out, or tell me that I need to do something to get off this plateau, I am 100% invested and with a strong military background I am 110% dedicated, mentally prepared, and have the discipline to do anything to make this work.  Thanks for any help that you may be able to offer.  Respectfully, James  :)

Lifting others up is Uplifting

shawn116

Re: Frustrated at 254
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
Hi James  Welcome to the forum.  It could be something simple that is sneaking in that you don't realize you are eating or simply carb creep?  A little nibble here, eyeball a serving there, deceptive product labels there you get the drift..... But really it isn't unusual for our bodies to take a little time to adjust things.  When I first started losing by measurements were changing even when the numbers weren't.  If you could give us a journal of what you are eating.  Be sure to list everything that passes your lips and the carb counts that you came up with, even the product names that you are using.....other members can maybe see what may be tripping you up.  ;)  Hang in there we are all here to help each other....just know that everyday you are moving toward a healthier you...... again welcome to the party  ;D 

longkeylady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
Hi James,
My husband and I have been on the program for about five weeks now.  Early on, the same thing happened to my husband.  He spent week three sitting at the same weight, but then he began to drop again.  He's now down 15 1/2 lbs.  We're both relative newbies at living the Fat to Skinny lifestyle, but it does work.  Incidentally,  know what it's like to be where you are, but I can also tell you there is hope and help here.   -- Linda

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Frustrated at 254
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
Hi maddysdad we have a very succesful member here called maddysmom :-) first I'd lose the morning shake and choose a natural non processed breakfast like meat and eggs.  Your body is a furnace and it needs to be stoked with fuel. Next I'd list my intake for each day here on the forum so we can help you. Finally realize this is not a diet...it's a lifestyle change proven by solid science. I'ts also not a race...relax my new friend, you'll get there ;-)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
Welcome, James.  I'm glad you came to the forum rather than giving up.  You have great motivation but lifestyle changes are hard, even with conviction and dedication. 

Shawn (toosweet) mentioned taking measurements.  That's a great way to measure progress when the scale isn't moving.  Take lots of measurements because lots of places will shrink.  For example, my neck and wrists were early places where I could see results without looking at the scale.  Measure your calves, thighs, wrists, arms, neck, waist, chest. . .  you get the idea. 

I agree wholeheartedly with Doug about the EAS supplement.  Wouldn't eggs and bacon taste better? 

By the way, we've all had stalls but I think they are giving your body time to adjust to your lower weight.  If you can manage it, up your water intake.  The more WATER you can drink the better.

Maddie-N-AbbiesDad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
Thanks to all who commented, it means a lot to know that you are truly out there :) I will try to do an egg and turkey bacon or sausage omelet or wrap in the morning for the next few days and see how that plays out. It would be much tastier than the shake. I changed to the shake when I had to start getting the Girls off to school, but I cook for them so maybe I will try and cook for myself and eat with them... sure wish there were 28 hrs in a day.  Thanks again and I'll let you know how things are moving later this week. Thanks for the tip on the measuring, I got a base line but haven't checked it since I began.  ;)

May God Bless,

James

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »
Hi James and welcome to the forum!  Hang in there.  This lifestyle works if you just set your head to do it everyday no matter what the scale says.  Oh...and I LOVE bacon and eggs for breakfast!  Some mornings I leave the house with a big glass of diet pepsi and I stop by Krystals for just a side order of bacon.   It's funny cause the lady in the drive thru window calls me "the bacon lady".   It doesn't bother me!   Just last week I had my 6 month checkup, and my cholesterol & triglycerides were GREAT!  So I'm not changing anything.  ha ha   :D :D

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »
Wow Jan look at your ticker!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
Awh thanks Toosweet!  I've really just been maintaining through the summer.  I am ready to get serious about getting DONE!  I will turn 50 in April 2013, and the plan is to be MUCH smaller by then.   ;)

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:58 PM »
I believe in you girl!!   :D  You know.... I know for a fact that riding and taking care of a horse is excellent exercise  ;D ;D ;D   I sure wish I could do it these days.  I miss it.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
Jan you're ticker looks great! I bet you've enjoyed your horse this summer :) James pick up some romaine lettuce to use the leaves for your wraps instead of low carb tortillas, it's like having a BLT for breakfast  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Maddie-N-AbbiesDad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Thanks guys, just wanted to update you a little on the PROgress I am down to 251 as of this morning, but when the scale was being mean to me I did as suggested and used the tape and found that I had already lost about an inch to inch and a half around the midsection and about a half inch on the thighs, so I felt better. and over the last few days I have seen the pounds just drop off again. I am so glad that you all were able to keep me reassured that it was just a momentary thing that the weight just stayed steady. I do notice already that I have a little more energy at the end of the day and I don't have to hold my breath or undo my button on my pants when I bend over to tie my shoes. MaddysMom Congrats on your ticker.. I grew up on an Arabian horse farm down in South Carolina and rode and showed for many years, I wish I still had that type of daily activity I loved it. TooSweet thanks again for the advice on measurements, that really did set my mind to rest when I saw results that way. will continue to update as I move forward this has been a great lifestyle change for me and my kids are getting healthier choices in their lunches too...they really enjoy the fresh food instead of packaged meal offerings.  ;D

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:48 PM »
Great job!!!  keep up the good work there....You know you can always come here for encouragement when you need it.  We all have been there and understand what it feels like.  We are always here  ;) 

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »
Way to go!  You are doing fine!  ...oh, and the arabian horse farm sounds like a place dreams are made of!!  wow....what a life!!   We have a Tennessee Walker, and we are crazy about him.  He is SO gentle and more like a big ole dog that we ride.  Still shopping for a companion horse.  The Bureau of Land management has been holding adoptions of wild mustangs in our town this weekend.  They are beautiful but WILD...never even haltered.  You can get one for $125 or TWO for $150.  We've been to look at them twice, but I'm no horse trainer....and "skeered". 

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »
Welcome James aka Maddie-N-AbbiesDad - I too have problems with the scale not co-operating with my efforts ;)
Some days would just like to throw it out the back door.  I made the supreme effort and put it on top of the hall cupboard.  Have to get a ladder to get it off and am too lazy to do that.  Though last time didn't push it far enough and by stretching on tippy toes as far as I could I got it down before the month was up.
I try to just keep to a monthly weigh in (it doesn't necessarily stop me from hopping on during the month) but taking an overview of a whole month works out better. 

Good luck on your journey - everyone here is just great at answering or listening to problems.