Author Topic: What's Wrong With Me?  (Read 2758 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
What's Wrong With Me?
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:05 PM »
I am happily going along with the fts lifestye, it's not a hassle and I have plenty of variety (barring the fact that I almost can't go a day without bacon and eggs). When I eat out I can usually manage to pick something I can eat or take something with me.  Why Oh Why do I suddenly want to chuck it all in and eat 'normally' like other people?  I feel good in myself, am losing weight (though I think I have hit my first plateau - 3 weeks and nothing - in the 23 weeks I have been eating this way).  I  tell myself all the things I've read here - it's a time for the body to readjust, blah blah - and I do believe it.  I have measured and things have shrunk - yay.  When I see sugar I still see 'poison'  but totally, as irrational as it seems, there are times I just want to chuck it in.

I have not eaten anything not fts approved since I started; occasionally I have a pasta/cake/bread craving - I have substituted these with fts - but want the real thing. The old things.  The comfort things I suppose.  I have a fear if I give in I ain't gonna want to go back. 

Is there a sugar addiction deep in my psyche somewhere that I am never going to kick.  damn!
Is it psychological?  Boredom? - I don't think so.  Is it the fact that I feel like I stand out in a group of people when eating?
I make no fuss when I need to eat, but people look at me funny when I say no to a biscuit, cake, potatoes, bread, etc or when I put cream in my coffee.

I presume (I hope) I am not the only one who feels this way?  Or am I?

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's Wrong With Me?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
Morgan,
I think you have the equivalent of the "Seven-year Itch."  You are doing wonderfully but "maybe there's something better out there."  Think of those people who are looking at you in a funny way as curious.  So, ask yourself if your decision to eat the FTS way is merely a choice or is it truly a conviction and remember how hard those first few weeks were. 

People make dietary choices all the time.  FTSing is a decision equivalent to chosing to be vegan.  When someone looks at you funny, you can smile and know that you've got the food thing figured out.  And when you take that  22 hour plane ride to visit the United States in a few years, you'll be very comfortable in your seat. 

I can only speak for myself but, YES! I look at the food at a potluck supper and remember how fun it was to eat everyone else's  cooking and I associate all those carb-laden foods with good memories of friendship.  The trick is to separate those feelings from your mouth and let them reside in your heart.  Of course, it's easier said than done but well worth the effort. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:52:18 AM »
Hi Ya Morgan....there's nothing wrong with you. You've established new healthy habits and you're well on your way to mastering this lifestyle......BUT, how many pairs of shoes do you own? Wearing the same pair every day? I don't think so  :o I think it's time to get creative with some recipes to bring the "New" into your eating plan.

I have a fear if I give in I ain't gonna want to go back.

Don't do it Morgan, you'll regret it forever

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
I agree Andrea. ;) I also agree with you Morgan. I think Morgan you need a new obsession ;) Food is no more than fuel. Thats the reason I got so big is because for me food was emotional. I needed to feel something and full worked.I say put your before and after pictures on the fridge.You have worked very hard and should revel in your success!! ;D

AliciaInTX

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »
I'm there with you. It's HARD. Like Umpa, I'm an emotional eater and to me that also means that FLAVOR is huge. I WANT something that tastes awesome and sweet and yummy and it's a mental battle to remind myself that that's a WANT and not a NEED. It does help to find things that I CAN eat, that I really enjoy and not eat them every day. So that when I want a "treat" or am just feeling sorry for myself for not being able to have what (it seems like) everyone else can have, I make that yummy thing and realize there are delicious things I can enjoy, too, and STILL feel good about myself eating them! One of those things is my low-carb pizza that I make with low carb tortillas. Friday night is pizza night at our house and it is always something I looked forward to in the past. Now, I do get a little jealous when I'm ordering it for the family and see all the toppings and imagine how great it will taste....but when it arrives and they're digging in, I patiently put together my little low carb pizzas and pop them in the oven. I swear to you, when I start eating them I am reminded how great they taste and I don't even feel deprived! If I were to make my little low carb pizzas every day, which I could because they are totally FTS acceptable, I don't think I'd enjoy them so much on Friday Pizza Night. So...maybe find a few things (like bacon??) that you REALLY enjoy and only make it twice a week. You might find you enjoy it so much more when you feel like you're treating yourself and it may be easier for you to stay on track, too. Just an idea! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
Hi Morgan! :)

Most of us here have used "food" to help us cope with emotions like boredom, sadness, fear, etc..
In effect, we've unsuccessfully been using food like a drug.
This is why we can consider ourselves "carb/sugar addicts".

The connection between food and emotion is ENTIRELY psychological.
It's been reinforced in our minds over many years of our lives.

As an example, I can remember eating out of boredom only to find myself stuffed AND bored.
Like Umpa said, food is simply fuel and no more... It can be NO more!

The toughest part of FTS for most of us is (or was) breaking the "food" and "emotion" connection.
But by sticking to it and rewarding yourself with non-food rewards along your journey, you CAN and WILL break it.
If you allow yourself to stick with FTS, it's only a matter of time before you overcome that connection.

Thank you for letting us know about the challenge your facing.
You're not alone!... We're here for you every step of the way!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
I am just getting started with FTS myself.  Like anything else, it is hard to make changes.  I am hoping that eating this way will become second nature with time, just like eating poorly did.

Reading these posts it struck me that when you feel you want to eat "what everybody else can eat" you need to ask yourself if you want to go back to looking like everybody else looks... the way you used to look.

I applaud your ability to stick with the program for nearly six months, that is an accomplishment to be proud of.  You have obviously worked very hard to get where you are... keep it up.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
It really is very easy once you get the hang of it ;)