Author Topic: Weeks 21, 22, 23 & 24 (Unhappy Scales)  (Read 6992 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Weeks 21, 22, 23 & 24 (Unhappy Scales)
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:45 AM »
Well people, it's that time again - official monthly weigh in.  I had about a 3 week plateau where nothing moved except my foot to kick the scales.  The last week it wobbled and I lost 2lb, which kinda sucks to say the least, but at least the numbers went down.  I had planned my usual 7lb or so (I was hoping for more because going on holiday soon) - moral of the story: don't plan on a weight loss - your body will do what it wants to.

Oh well - positive thinking and visualisation for the next month.  lol  (visualise those scales co-operating!!!!)

Maybe I will go and have a little chat with those scales  ;)

scottinflorida

Re: Weeks 21, 22, 23 & 24 (Unhappy Scales)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
You have the right idea Morgan - just do the right thing and the pounds will follow.  They never go away as quickly as we want them to!  Just keep going in the right direction.

I am intrigued by your strategy of monthly weigh-ins.  I could never do that.  I have my "official" weigh in on Wednesday morning, but beyond that I check almost every morning just to see how I'm progressing.  I have heard that's not really a good idea for most people, but I'm a little obsessive I guess.  But monthly - wow - I would be scared of getting the mindset "Ah, I can cheat a little since I have a few weeks before weighing in".

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
Hi Morgan, have you analyzed your portion sizes? Many times we eat more food than we actually need. I remember when Mommab was stuck for a couple of months, when she started cutting her portions in half and following the 15 minute rule she discovered she was eating way to much food. She found her smaller portions completely satisfied her and the weight started dropping off.

Please review this ost- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=430.0
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:14:01 AM »
Hey scott - I officially weigh monthly, but do hop on the scales whenever I feel the need - realising my weight fluctuates due to water, etc.  It gives me an indication of what's happening.  I tried putting them up on the top of the cupboard where I couldn't reach, but got desparate and dragged them down.  Now I just try to ignore them and only threaten them on weigh days  ;D

And Doug, I have analysed my portions and try to keep them 'average'.  I reviewed the post you suggested.  I only eat raspberries and strawberries as fruit and that maybe every 2-3 weeks.  If I buy a punnet (250g) it is usually eaten over 3 days.  I feel I might be eating too much cheese which I am aware of and try to keep an eye on that. I slice parmesan cheese really fine and just have slivers when I get the urge - daily.  Vegies may be 1/2 - 1 cup daily (but then again I may skip a day totally) and are usually broc, cauli, spinach, red pepper, mushroom or zucc.  Nuts are only maccadamias and are limited to 20g and not on a regular basis.

Sugar alcohols in SF choc (8-20g) I'd like to say every couple days, but honesty tells me almost daily.
When I work nightshift about 3 times/week I take 4 SF wafers with peanut butter.

I tell myself to move more, but after a nightshift I feel exhausted.

I drink approx 5 cups of coffee a day (I don't count carbs for that as I only use 1/3 tspn measure in a teacup).

Been wondering if I should swap to decaf and skip all sugar alcohols (and in desperation cheese) and see if one of them might be doing the damage.

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:04:25 AM »
I will bet it is the SF candy it  makes type1 's sugar rise and also mine we had to quit eating it exception rare occasions . Stop it first Morgan and see if you lose ,then if you don't put it back and eat cheese if you have to have it . Have o looked at all the ingredients in that candy it really can't be that good for you .

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:07:38 AM »
aww joagain, but I eat only one small square 8g  :'(

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Weeks 21, 22, 23 & 24 (Unhappy Scales)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:50:53 AM »
It was the portion sizes for me. I was stalled for 3 weeks and and did the same thing decrease my portion sizes and I am back on track! ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
The cheese is fine ,I eat cheese everyday and twice a month we go to sams club for a "cheese run" :D What are sf wafers Morgan? :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
They are made by the Sugarless Company (sugarlessco.com)  a sugar free vanilla wafer about 1-1/2 times the size of a gg cracker.  Bit like an ice cream cone/wafer.  Ingredients - wheat flour, vegetable fat, maltitol, lactitol, vanilla 1%, soy lecithin, salt, sodium bicarbonate - 0.024c/4g (1 wafer).

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
i think wheat flour is suppose to sound a "whistle" in our world? that might be the problem morgan

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
Wheat flour and maltilol aren't a very good combination.  I like these cookies made with almond flour.

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=3747.0

This recipe is "pre-Zero" but I'd use sucralose instead of xylitol in it.

I think the sugar alcohols are causing problems for you, Morgan.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »
Enough said - out they go.  I will make my own batch biscuits from the fts bakery and use them.  At least I will know it's all natural.  And my chocolate  :'( :'( :'( :'( well  :'( :'( :'( only when I can stand it no longer and need to have a piece.
There is an old saying (well maybe not that old) 'beauty knows no pain' and believe me the giving up of chocolate will be painful.  sighhhhhhh

Will see how this works out, if these two products are my problem. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
Hi Morgan, I suggest you start from 0 carbs and work your way up. Try to stay as close to zero carbs for a full week and lets see if we can knock you out of this plateau. Here's a sample menu for you to try

Breakfast- meat and eggs

Lunch- cheeseburger wrapped in ice burg lettuce, pork rinds on the side

Dinner- Protein and greens

No sweets this week, no bread of any kind this week, no diet sodas...lets see how you make out  ;)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Hi Morgan, I suggest you start from 0 carbs and work your way up. Try to stay as close to zero carbs for a full week and lets see if we can knock you out of this plateau. Here's a sample menu for you to try

Breakfast- meat and eggs

Lunch- cheeseburger wrapped in ice burg lettuce, pork rinds on the side

Dinner- Protein and greens

No sweets this week, no bread of any kind this week, no diet sodas...lets see how you make out  ;)

Above is exactly what I did when I restarted and it really works. I am a SF candy addict. Once I took all the sugar alcohols out of my diet the weight just comes off. Good luck!! :)

Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »
Hello all, thought I would just report back in about my week (8 days actually).   Yay - followed your advice doug and I lost 4 lbs.. I don't do bread or much in the way of soft drinks or sf lollies, skipped the treats, gave up my sf choc, also gave up anything with sugar alcohols and sweetners (though had a little bit of sf tomato sauce which has sucralose).  I substituted my choc with a little bit of parmesan cheese and tried not to think about it. There was no way I could do 0 carbs, it averaged to 9.1 a day.  End result - I happy fts-ter.

Question though doug - do I gradually add those things back in or just avoid until I really really need? want?  it?
Is sf jelly (it doesn't say it has sugar alcohols) ok - I gave it a miss this week, but do like it every so often?