Author Topic: Member from India  (Read 6934 times)

Nik

• View Profile
    • Email
Member from India
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »
Hi

i was gifted the book by a friend and I am really keen to start. I just dont know where to start. I am from India and need to lose 80 pounds. The bread and tortilla you mention is not available in india - is there an alternative? Can I make my own bread (no I don't know how to - but am very keen to lose weight - so willing to buy a bread maker).  Also unlike the US our food packages dont come with the labels giving you details.

Besides the breads a lot more of what you mention is not available in India - the eggbeaters, turkey bacon (we get just the pork ones here)

Help!

Regards
Nik

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Member from India
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:47:12 AM »
Hi Nik, lets start by welcoming you to the family :) One of our members, "fineman" is also from India and is having good success, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he chimes in. You can look him up on the member tab and send him an email if you wish. I have a question for you, while you figure this out why do you need any bread at all? You can use lettuce leaves to wrap just about any kind of sandwich.

I know like many of us you've probably been raised eating bread with most every meal, that kind of thinking needs to end now. Bread has been a big contributor to your weight gain and so has rice, couscous and other grain based foods. You need to walk away from them.

If you absolutely have the need to eat a piece of bread my choice in India would be Papadum. Made properly it's only 2 net carbs per 6 gram wafer. As you now this is very common and easy to find. If your weight loss stalls eliminate it. For those of you who aren't familiar with Papadum, here's the info;

Papadum is a thin, crisp Indian cracker. It is typically served as an accompaniment to a meal in India. It is also eaten as an appetizer or a snack and can be eaten with various toppings such as chopped onions, chutney or other dips and condiments. In some parts of India, it is served as the final item in a meal. In certain parts of India, raw papadums (dried but unroasted) are used in curries and vegetable preparations.   
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
Eggs are a good basic, low carb option at .6 carbs each.  Pork bacon is a great low carb food and what many of us use. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
Welcome Nik :) I am Umpa,Dougs wife.If I can help you please ask. I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Keep it simple.There are no specialty foods to buy.Just keep the carbs 20 a day and the weight will fall off,its just science ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Nik!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Before FTS, breads were a staple in my life too.
I now have them (low carb, of course) once in a while only.

Papadum is a great option for you.

Also, check this link on our forum for ideas:
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=30.0

Looking forward to hear about your FTS journey!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Nik

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
Hi

thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Bread and Rice is something I have eaten all my life and a meal does not feel complete with it. Its like a craving to have rice and lentil with some potatoes (all the wrong foods)
Paperdom is a not a substitute for bread am afraid but can be eaten like a cracker or a snack. Like breakfast with eggs and bacon - the bread becomes a necessity here as a toast - else the breakfast although filling but seems as if something is missing.

Things like chicken and mutton Biryani is a Indian special and needs rice as the main ingredient.

I will send some to Umpa and also try her rosemary bread as that sounds like it should work in place of bread.

Will keep the family updated

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I would love to convert some Indian recipes! We have a lovely Indian restaurant in Asheville and they are always willing to answer my questions.( I think I amuse them) I especially like the fennel seeds after a meal.My spinach bread is wicked filling.It can be spread out on a cookie sheet to use as a pizza crust.  ;)

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
Welcome to the FTS forum family, Nik!!   :)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 08:44:15 PM »
Hello Nik and welcome to the family!!   :)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
welcome from new jersey! :P

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
Stef can we call you Snooki"?? :D :D

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Member from India
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
Lol! Well I am 100% italian and I do wear my hair like her at times ; ) I am cracking up

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »
Welcome and hello from Australia.  We sure are a multi-national group of people aren't we.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 09:43:18 AM »
Nic in place of rice run raw cauliflower through a cheese grater blade in your food processor, saute it in a little butter to soften and serve. The rosemary bread and spinach bread from the FTS sugar free bakery book are excellent. There are also many other bread recipes in that book, you'll find it here- http://www.shop.fattoskinny.com

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
YEAH I GOT MY OWN SNOOKI!! :D :D