Author Topic: Crumpled foil & bacon - thank you romarc  (Read 1837 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Crumpled foil & bacon - thank you romarc
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
Whenever I cook my bacon I give thanks to the forum member who suggested crumpling up some foil and then spreading it out again and putting bacon on top so the fat runs away (I either have the oven on or the grill element). It is less messy than cleaning a frypan:  I let the fat set, then lift off the foil and into the bin it goes.  Though I did batches and run some of the bacon fat into a small jar - use a little bit of bacon grease to add some extra flavour when cooking occasionally. 

I looked back at the posts and it was romarc.  So now I know who to thank for this wonderful tip.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crumpled foil & bacon - thank you romarc
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
I missed that what a great idea :)

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
Another method for bacon - found this on Pinterest, but I haven't tried it yet:

Technique: Cooking Bacon.....in Water
Why would someone cook bacon in water? That just sounds awful. One would think the water would leach out all the fatty goodness. Your right. Thats what makes it so good. When you pan sauté bacon in water a lot of the fat leaves the bacon and jumps in the pool. Then the water boils off. That leaves you bacon cooking in bacon fat. Now we are talking

There are two other reasons to use this technique. First, it frees you from the sauté pan. The majority of the cooking happens through the boiling of the water, so you can focus your attention elsewhere. There will be an audible announcement to let you know you need to start watching. The final reason is even cooking. This is most true for thick cut bacon, but even for your Oscar Meyer thin cut you will see a difference. The water cooking allows for a full cooking without browning, so no burnt outside and chewy inside. Here are the steps:

First Place your bacon in a sauté pan.

Next, fill the pan with water till bacon is covered.

Place the pan on the burner, crank up to high, and let it boil.

When the water is just about boiled off, it will begin to snap and hiss at you. Reduce to medium, and cook till the bacon is brown and crispy. This shouldn't be more than a minute or two.

End result: perfectly crispy, super tasty, and light not greasy bacon.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
Romarc Really???? :o