Author Topic: Halloween Candy  (Read 3652 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Halloween Candy
« on: November 04, 2012, 04:53:02 AM »
I know I'm a bit late for halloween and we don't really go for it here - though there are pockets of halloween
celebrators - but I was watching a tv program and wondered what do fts-ters give out at halloween.  Do you just give normal candy or do you make sugarfree treats and give those out?  Just wondering  how strict you are in your beliefs/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Halloween Candy
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
I never give out anything but sugarfree candy. One year doug and I were camping and the campground was packed with kids and we had just gone to a Russell Stovers outlet.We had cases of the large candy bars(4x6 inch) and of course they are made with malitol.We handed them out and the same kids kept coming back for more and I started to get concerned about them overindulging.Doug said as long as they aren't gluttons it will be fine, me thinks the toilets were very busy that night!! :D

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »
This is my first Halloween since starting FTS.  My wife bought regular candy to give out.  Also, the kids went trick-or-treating and got so much candy.  It has been a test of will power not to dig in to all the candy like I would have in years past.  I even hid in my home office and came here to the forum on Halloween night just to stay away from the candy.  I must admit, I have indulged in a few bite sized candies in the past few days, but nothing like I would have normall.  I am sure that is why the scale went up a little this week.

I have found some sugar free candy, mostly hard sucking candies.  Where do you find FTS friendly chocolates?

Mark

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
I never give out anything but sugarfree candy. One year doug and I were camping and the campground was packed with kids and we had just gone to a Russell Stovers outlet.We had cases of the large candy bars(4x6 inch) and of course they are made with malitol.We handed them out and the same kids kept coming back for more and I started to get concerned about them overindulging.Doug said as long as they aren't gluttons it will be fine, me thinks the toilets were very busy that night!! :D

Living out in the countryside, we never get kids on Halloween.
But we've been known to carve pumpkins and display jack-o-lanterns just for fun. ;D

Kids not eating too much candy on Halloween is a Great Expectation.
I hope none of them had too big of a "toilet problem"!  ;D ::)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
You never know - too many toilet stops and they might be put off eating candy totally.  Which, let's face it would be a good thing ;D

moose61

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »
Like Tony said, we live in the country and don't get any kids trick or treating. I don't mind kids eating candy, it's part of civilized life I guess. I didn't have any eating problems until I was in  my 40's, and I enjoyed all the stuff I ate before that. I don't miss or crave any of that now, but I still remember liking it before. Let kids be kids.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
Our kids are grown but we are still in the house we raised them in and we get lots of trick or treaters.  I never give sugar free candy to the unexpecting but have been creative with treats.  One year we gave helium balloons.  Another year we gave pencils and the teenagers liked them the most.  It used to embarrass our kids but I like it.  When I'm not feeling creative, I make sure to buy small packages and stuff I don't like.  Skittles mostly because I never did like Skittles.

AliciaInTX

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
I gave out candy....but only bought the kind I don't like, so I wasn't tempted by the leftovers! ;) 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
I gave out candy....but only bought the kind I don't like, so I wasn't tempted by the leftovers! ;) 

That's a GREAT idea, Alicia! ;D ;D ;D ;D

If you feel the need to participate in Halloween, by all means, you should make it as easy on yourself as possible! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »
i went to CVS today and found Sugar Free Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and SF Hershey bars.  Both 1 Net Carb per seving (1/2 bag).  I also picked up some of the Russell Stover SF candy I have been hearing about.  Now I don't have to worry about being tempted when the kiddies dump their candy bags on the floor and start their pig out.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 08:17:58 AM »
Be really careful with how many you eat at once!  Only sprinters should eat too much.

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »

Only sprinters should eat too much.

;D ;D ;D  Self policing for sure!!

Also Mark if you notice you have stalled you may want to cut these out first.  Anything sweetened with maltitol (which most store bought candies are) will spike my blood sugar the same as if it were the real thing.   :-\ 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:31:36 AM by TooSweet »