Author Topic: I need some help from Carb Conscience Folks  (Read 2264 times)

pvonishere

• View Profile
    • Email
I need some help from Carb Conscience Folks
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:20:27 AM »
So I read the book F2S and my whole life it seems I have not eaten correctly, properly, in the right quantities, or to stimulate my metabolism. Below this small paragraph I will provide detailed information about what I need. Essentially, I am looking to build shopping lists, create menus, and eat normally and healthily and all that.

Challenge: I got into the habit of eating once per day. Even though I am eating more now my calorie intake is far too LOW.
My current resting metabolism requires 2300 cal daily(per dietitians and doctor) that could be higher than that if I was active more. My current calorie intake was roughly 500 and I've improved that to between 1000 and 1500 some days I even eat as much as 2000 cal.

What is surprising is that I am overweight. The problem is, my metabolism is so slow and everything I eat is converted to stored energy because my calorie intake is not high enough. So imagine wanting to lose weight and knowing that you have to eat more. So after reading F2S recently, the challenge is selecting what foods I can eat that would be that meats and proteins and the vegetables AND actually getting enough calories out of the day.

It doesn't help that my blood pressure is somewhat high and my cholesterol levels are not in a good place. I raised my activity level up (walking or jogging a few miles) and a health professional told me that if my calorie intake was not proper the exercise would not really be helpful and maybe not a good idea. (walking or jogging a few miles)

So I am not much of a cook. And when I go to the store there is a very small list of things that I buy. These things are not bad for me but the selection seems to be very small. And these are all snacks. So someone out there who knows how to build a program like this that isn't excessive saturated fats or cholesterol, following this program Doug laid out so well. It is very hard for someone who is not used to eating often. When would you eat if you never got hungry?
So that is it if you have menus and you want to send them in a plan of how often a day to eat you want to eat that would be great.

Ultimately knowing what to shop for and how often to eat within a week and who knows... it could one day get to a 30 day plan!

Thank you in advance for anything you can provide. To begin on this plan with my poor habits I have bought 2 packs all beef franks I eat with some mustard.  I do eat a slice of cheese now and then.  Mixed nuts I used to try and hit the calorie mark.  Eggs and sausage, random lunch meats, edamane i can steam and boneless chicken breasts.  That's all I got.  Ive had a couple salads too.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: I need some help from Carb Conscience Folks
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »
Hello pvonishere, welcome to the family! Your list is a good start- "To begin on this plan with my poor habits I have bought 2 packs all beef franks I eat with some mustard.  I do eat a slice of cheese now and then.  Mixed nuts I used to try and hit the calorie mark.  Eggs and sausage, random lunch meats, edamane i can steam and boneless chicken breasts.  That's all I got.  Ive had a couple salads too."

I want you to completely forget EVERYTHING you've been taught. Calories are not your measurement anymore. I read your post carefully and although you say you eat very little my guess is what you do eat is carb loaded. This is most likely the cause for your weight and your blood pressure and your cholesterol levels.

Only eating when you're truly hungry is EXACTLY what you should be doing. Your metabolism will catch up as your body cranks up to metabolize proteins and fats. Stick with protein and greens and stay the course.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on reading the book and deciding to take action.  It is very easy to eat simply in this lifestyle.  Have bacon or sausage and an egg when you are hungry in the morning, have a small salad with sliced chicken breast when you get hungry in the afternoon and a hot dog and low carb veggies when you are hungry again in the evening.  You'll notice that you eat when you are hungry so we can't say exactly when or how often that will be for you.  Your eating habits in the recent past have probably dulled your ability to tell when you are truly hungry so that will take some work on your part.  Pay attention to what your body is telling you but don't fall into the trap of eating just because it's time.  

Like most of us when we started FTS, you have lots of ideas about nutrition that you'll have to leave behind.  Don't worry about calories, we count net carbs.  If you stay below 20 net carbs per day, monitor your portions and drink at least 64 ounces of water every day, you'll have lots of energy, feel great and get to a healthy weight eventually.  The best part of FTS is that you are getting healthy while you lose weight and can maintain your weight because you stay low carb.

Good luck and come back with as many questions as you have.  

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
Hi Pvonishere, Welcome to our family!  This will get easier as you go.  Prior to FTS, I never had any serious health problems, but I did have high blood pressure and my cholesterol & triglyceride counts were not good.  Ever since I started this program, my blood counts have been optimal & I feel like a new person!   As for the food, I never dreamed that cauliflower would be a new staple for me!  If you haven't tried caulimash or cauli-rice yet...you will love it!  Also the one minute muffin is amazing and so versatile.  Check out the recipe exchange section!  It so cool to see all the things you can make.  I never really enjoyed cooking, but have found it FUN to make all these new low carb dishes!   So glad to have you here!  ;D 

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
Pvonishere I get what you're saying, I was you. I could eat 250 calories a day and never [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]lose weight[/url], not like other people. My body and probably yours too, is super sensitive to carbs. I can eat carbs and balloon up. It's tragic but it's the way it is. I also am not a cook, I hate cooking...if it can't be ready to eat or nuked then count me out. I do alot of quick foods. Ham and cheese roll ups, cheese sticks, vienna sausages, eggs, and you have to get the low carb pitas...they make life SO easy. Keep the good, easy stuff around and eat when you're hungry and you'll do great. I also eat out quite a bit. It's so easy, just ask questions when you're ordering. Make sure things don't have flour added to sauces or sugars on lettuce. You would not believe how many restaurants toss sugar in their salads! Just take it slow and be smart. Within two weeks of staying on it everyday, all those cravings for the wrong stuff will go away. You will be in control of your eating like you never have before.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:15:46 PM by SherriPie »
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »
Hi Pvonishere!!  Welcome to the forum  :)  You have received some great advice already.....I just wanted to take the time to welcome you  ;)

My guess is that you probably have had your body in what they call the starvation mode....In that case it will store or hold on to everything and the metabolism with come to a halt because it doesn't know when it will get fuel again.  Stick with the FTS rules and maybe add a good multivitamin....I think you will notice a difference pretty fast....again welcome to the family  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, pvonishere!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I agree with TooSweet.
If your body goes into "starvation mode", your metabolism will slow to a crawl to preserve energy as a survival mechanism.

Forget about the calories and focus on eating high protein and some leafy greens.
Don't be afraid of eating fat!... On a low carb regimen, fat can actually stimulate weight loss.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!