Author Topic: new to program  (Read 8350 times)

starla

• View Profile
    • Email
new to program
« on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
just read your book, excited to get started, few questions, i started gaining weight about 2 yrs. ago, (menopause), can this delay my weight loss?  tried all kinds of diets, gained about 25 pounds and can not lose, i have craveings for tacos, tortilla chips, coffee, chocalate, what kind of substitudes do you suggest to stop these cravenings? You allways want what you can't have and i think about these items all day long.

Zenababy17

• Before! :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new to program
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
Hi Starla, Welcome!! :) :)

I am new also and am on track. I had a rough first week with all those cravings you typed about here and more. I personally told my "3-year old sugar addicted brain" to get a gripp and then I had to choose my pain. So I personally had to choose the Pain of eating everything my " 3 year old  inner voice" that has the bad habit of sugar and carbs galore then not fitting into my clothes and NOt having any energy and getting totally depressed because I feel so bad all the time. The pain I chose was to be inconvenienced a little to learn more about better choices that taste every bit as good as my bad choices but dont make me fat and miserable. So I dont know if that helps you .. to have a conversation with your little self that may be wanting you to just give up and do whatever you want without benefit to your body , mind and souls energy. I was so hard on myself for so long and had to just decide. A). Do nothing and continue getting the same results or B). Try something that just might work and make me happier and live a little stronger for my family.

This forum is really great for all the questions you have and the recipes really are a good substitute for any favorite food you love... Umpa is a Goddess of All Carbs converted to Not make you fat so lean on her post often!
Welcome to the new life you are gonna have now and congrats on taking that first step! We are here for you also!
Sher in Dallas

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »
Welcome to the party Starla! Your cravings are all from your sugar addiction and all items you listed are Sugar, Sugar, Sugar!!

(menopause), can this delay my weight loss?  I have craveings for tacos, tortilla chips, coffee, chocalate, what kind of substitudes do you suggest to stop these cravenings? You allways want what you can't have and i think about these items all day long.

Like all of us you'll need to go through Sugar detox. It takes about 2 weeks. During this time you'll need to load up on protein, protein, protein. Keep full, I promise you the cravings will end. Eat the recipes in the FTS book...keep lots of snack trays from the book in the fridge. Sugar free hard candies will be a great help. Don't worry the addiction will break  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »
Welcome to the FTS forum family Starla!  Don't worry your cravings will go away pretty quickly.  Once you get through your sugar detox, if you really are craving something we can usually find a great replacement.  For instance you can use low carb tortillas to make your own chips and have for tacos, or better yet have your tacos using romaine lettuce.   Most of the time I just have one big taco salad without the shell.    Go ahead and have your coffee, just use heavy whipping cream and a sugar free sweetener if you have to have that.  There are many recipes posted on the forum...be sure to check them out.  Most of all be sure to come in to the forum often.  It helps to have the support to stay on track...There are lots of great folks here just wanting to help each other  :) 

Zenababy17

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »
I love love my coffee like that TooSweet! Its even better than when I wasnt on this life program.... I am enjoying food even more now...

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:17:13 AM »
Welcome starla  :) :)

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:10:58 AM »
I am enjoying food even more now

I don't know if it is just me, but to me food definitely tastes so much better now.   Not to mention how much it helps that I no longer have to feel guilty about eating  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:13:09 AM by TooSweet »

starla

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
thank you all for your support, im really really trying, my husband thinks im nuts another diet here we go again, at steak and shake i ripped off the bread and added creamy cheese, has anyone every got divoriced from this diet? hard with all the kids home for holiday and on sugar high.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »
I think a lot of us lived with doubters but no one has admitted to FTS being the cause of a divorce.  Get your answers ready:  "I'm not giving up on myself.  I'm committing to getting healthier and losing weight in the process."  Pretty soon you'll be able to say:  "It works for me."  The food part is easy, dealing with naysayers isn't.

If you are like a lot of the moms on this forum, you've spent a lot of years putting everyone else first.  You have our permission to put yourself first and your family will benefit from a healthier, stronger and smaller you.

Menopause causes lots of  changes in our bodies but FTS worked for me in spite of them.  It shouldn't be a reason to give up.

We are here to sympathize, support, push. . . whatever you need.  Just ask.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Welcome Starla! I am also in full blown menopause with hot flashes that could fry chicken! You can do this and a happy wife makes for a happy husband. ;) I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Thats why fat to skinny works so well is that we have replacements for everything. It is a lifestyle change.Once you lose the weight there are no foods to add back in to gain the weight back.Breaks the cycle. You are gonna do great! ;D

Zenababy17

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
Hey Starla! Umpa and Andrea are so right... I also am a woman of a certain age and my fiance' and his family are straight off the boat from Dublin Ireland.. they are all about the sweets and meat and potatoes. Cholesterol runs very high in his family and he is looking at how this works for me to go on with me... but trust me.. I got the stares when I bought heavy cream for my coffee and all the yummy cheez for my eggs... They are still offering me sweets at tea time with my coffee and I say no thank you politely 5 times! lol Let em sneer while you eat sugar free cake and like TooSweet talks about.. NO guilt... One day at a time .. they will change with you but mostly you will put you first for once like Umpa says... we are always doing something for someone else as moms and wives and its really okay to go against the norm thats makin you not healthy. You got this.... we are right there with you.
Sher

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Welcome Starla,

I find that getting acceptance is no different for us guys.  In fact, a guy on a diet often gets less acceptance.

I work in one of those offices where "food" (if you can call it that) is always available.  Unfortunately, it is usually in the form of cakes, cookies, candy, etc. (especially this time of year).  When I politely refuse, I get strange looks from some of my co-workers.  This is especially true since I was usually the first one to indulge in the past.

I plan on making FTS friendly holiday goodies to bring to the office so I can partake (although I plan on limiting myself as well).

Good luck, and stay strong.  Your husband and family will be supportive once they see that you are happier, healthier, thinner...

Mark

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, starla!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Just make the commitment to yourself to get healthier by living the FTS lifestyle.
If you do that and follow the FTS rules, the results will soon become evident to all around you.

Like the old saying goes... Nothing succeeds like success!
There is no arguing with it! ;)

We're right here for you whenever you need us!

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

Zenababy17

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
HELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0P Hey gorgeous! Been out working and not on the forums... back in it to win it.. What has helped you in this program??? :)

Sher in Dallas