Author Topic: Mission Carb Balance Whoe Wheat Tortillas.  (Read 2781 times)

ereino

• View Profile
Mission Carb Balance Whoe Wheat Tortillas.
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »
Doug,  I was wondering if the Mission - Carb Balance Whole Wheat Tortillas (the small size) are good for us to eat.  The label reads 13 Carbs, 10 Dietary Fiber, 0 Sugar...so net carb would be 3.  So, on the lable, this would appear to be okay to eat on the FTS diet.  But as I am reading the ingredients I can't tell if there are still any hidden sugars.  Sucralose is an artificial sweetener so that doesn't seem too bad, unless the side affects aren't any good. and triglercerides?  The triglercerides as an ingredient doesn't sound too good, either.  Can you tell me something about these ingredients and what you take on them would be?  Thanks.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Mission Carb Balance Whoe Wheat Tortillas.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »
According to the manufacturers website the tortilla is 3 net carbs, here's the ingredients;

Ingredients:

Water, Modified Food Starch, Whole Wheat Flour, Vital Wheat Gluten, Powdered Cellulose, Vegetable Shortening (Interesterified Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Palm Oil), Wheat Protein Isolate (Wheat Gluten, Lactic Acid, Sulfite), and contains 2% or less of: Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate), Cellulose Gum, Preservatives (Calcium Propionate, Sorbic Acid), Distilled Monoglycerides, Enzymes, Wheat Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Antioxidants (Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid), Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sucralose, Caramel Color, Canola Oil, Triglycerides, Dough Conditioners (Fumaric Acid, Sodium Metabisulfite and/or Mono- and Diglycerides).
Allergens:

Here's what I found on Triglycerides as a food additive;

Medium chain triglycerides, also referred to as medium chain fatty acids or simply MCT, are a type of fat that is easily absorbed by the body. Found naturally in foods, MCTs are also available as a dietary supplement. According to Ward Dean, M.D. and Jim English of NutritionReview.com, MCTs are used primarily as an instant energy source by organs and muscles in the body rather than being stored as fat.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/272678-list-of-foods-that-contain-medium-chain-triglycerides/#ixzz2EwW4hbqp
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
These specific tortillas are my main bread replacement.  My Walmart carries them so they are easy to get.  I lost weight at an acceptable rate with them a part of diet.

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »
My concern is primarily the hydrogenated oils.  If I see hydrogenated, I put it down.  That's why I prefer the La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas.  They are also just 3 net grams of carbs.  Of course, they are not as easy to find as the Mission ones.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:54:54 AM by mdanziger »

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:22 PM »
Okay, good info - I don't have a hard time finding the La Tortilla brand, so I think I will stick with them.  The Mission are much smaller, and I liked that abut it, but think I'll stick with the LaTortilla.  Thanks all!  Thanks Doug,

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
Ereino,

When looking for the La Tortilla Factory, look for the 6 inch ones.  They are the 3 net carbs.  The larger, 9 inch ones, are 6 net carbs.  Just so you know. 

My grocer only carries the larger ones, so I use half.  I guess I should ask if they can order the smaller ones for me (or I could order them online, but I don't want to pay for shipping if I don't have to).

Mark

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »
Hi Ellie! :)

I've been eating La Tortilla low carb tortillas almost as long as I've been living the FTS lifestyle.
They're very good and don't seem to effect progress.
Not sure about the Mission brand.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
The Mission carb balance small sizes have been a staple for me too.  Recently I have not be able to find any but Medium and Large. When I checked out Mission web site I saw the wheat but haven't seen them locally, hoping!  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 08:18:58 AM »
You look great Amber :)