Author Topic: Internal Battle to Stay the Course  (Read 3181 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Internal Battle to Stay the Course
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:57 AM »
Just pondering life today and was wondering about those people who have been on the fts lifestyle for some time.  Are you still tempted to keep with the eating plan?    Temptations and occasions abound, not to mention the fact that more time and effort (and ingredients -well alternative ingredients more to the point) are needed to put a meal together, the justification to other people why you don't eat like they do.  Do you just breeze along or do you have internal battles as to whether you should stay the course?

You can probably gather that I'm having the internals, even knowing that this is the path for me.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internal Battle to Stay the Course
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »
Oh, Morgan.  I think you are feeling what many of us feel.  I love the fact that I'm healthy, have lots of energy and no longer get "those looks" because of extra pounds and the scorn society has for that extra weight.  But, even after 1-1/2 years, every meal is a decision to stay the course.  Every menu offers temptations, every trip to the grocery store requires an act of will and we won't even discuss what Christmas parties do to my will power. 

I wish your friends were cheerleaders and not naysayers.  It took a while for my family to accept that this is for life.  Now my husband is my biggest defender. 

Take your left hand and put it on your right shoulder.  Now the right hand on the left shoulder.  SQUEEZE.  That's a hug from me. 

We are talking about food.  It is NOT the most important thing in your life.  It's just a way of maintaing life.  Put it in the background and accept the little inconveniences as a very small price to pay for your health.

And, I think I can speak for the forum as a whole-WE LOVE HAVING YOU WITH US!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
And, I think I can speak for the forum as a whole-WE LOVE HAVING YOU WITH US!

That is for sure  ;D

Maybe I shouldn't be answering this because for me I think it is a little easier.   Even though I have reversed the symptoms of my type 2 diabetes, I know that if I sway too far to the other side I will pay for it with a sugar spike.   :P :P  I hate....hate...HATE feeling sick and I would much rather continue on without any medication.   That being said I'm pretty sure I would find it easy to stay the course regardless of the diabetes, knowing how much better I feel and the damage sugar does to your body.  I think the longer I live the lifestyle the easier it is for me with shopping, preparing, eating...etc  I just look at it this way....look at all the money I am saving because most of the items in the grocery are off limits... ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I can't believe it but I had to purchase a bag of regular sugar and flour the other day for some Christmas goodies for my carb lovers!  I was amused with the thought that I hadn't bought any in over a year and a half!!!   Haha

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
Hello, Morgan! :)

I echo Andrea's and Shawn's sentiment and advice to you.
We do love you as one of our family! :) :) :)

We are all human and subject to temptation. It's just how we're built. And that's OK.
If we were raised from a very young age to know that carbs in the foods we eat would make us sick and FAT,
the struggle would not be as challenging.

We have a lifetime of misinformation fed into our minds and damage to our bodies to undo.
That's NOT an easy task and, for most, will take years to master.
But everyday that you live the FTS lifestyle, you become a little stronger and more able to ignore temptation.

I've been living FTS for over two years and still have moments of temptation.
And being human, I've given in a few times.
BUT... I ALWAYS immediately returned to FTS knowing that if I did not,
I'd likely die a premature death from a sugar related disease that I could have prevented.

Thank you for reaching out and asking for feedback about staying the course.
The "course" is NOT a straight line. From time to time, we will veer off course.
For our health, what matters is that we get back on! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »
The "course" is NOT a straight line. From time to time, we will veer off course.
For our health, what matters is that we get back on!

Well said Tony  :) 

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
Sometimes in life, going with the "flow" is easier.  But look at everybody in our population. most people are overweight.
Don't let the status rule you. WE all are human, and Crave that special treat. WE all fall, the key is to understand we had a bad day, and start a good one the next day. The alternative is JUST NOT HEALTHY ,AND NOT WORTH IT.
" DARING GREATLY SO THAT HIS PLACE SHALL NEVER BE WITH THOSE COLD AND TIMID SOULS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.
T.R. US PRESIDENT.

Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:15:47 AM »
To you all - you will never know how much your support means to me.  Thank You

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:11:11 AM »
Morgan you got this ;) I think sometimes we are our own worst enemies. You are doing great.You are taking control of your health and your life. You should be proud. I think people eat for every reason but hunger! :D I keep it simple when I socialize with friends just meat and salad.If your friends and family love you they will help you to succeed  :)

Snobles

• Eat to live, not live to eat!
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
@Umpa, meats and salads are my new best friend! If I have to question it, I don't eat it! Simple as that!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:47:31 AM »
 I think sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

How true is this! We are our own biggest critics! Sad but true. Keep you head up Morgan and it is admirable that you came here posted your honest thoughts and made yourself accountable for your thoughts! Kudos. I think we all have ups and downs with our own battles in our minds. Not letting them get the best of us , is what makes us successful .

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
I have to tell you that I love FTS. Yes we have daily temptations but the cool thing about FTS is when you're maintaining you have to up your carb intake, and every once in a while you can have those things that you're craving. I try to once a month let myself eat whatever I want. The funny thing is it usually doesn't taste nearly as good as I remember it tasting. But with FTS, I can allow myself that day and then just go right back to FTS for the rest of the month and not worry about it anymore. I haven't had any cravings or problems from it, although depending on what I eat the carbs can make me sick. Which just reinforces why I love FTS.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/