Author Topic: Low Carb Pasta Sauce  (Read 6072 times)

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
Re: Low Carb Pasta Sauce
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »
Here is a recipe that I use quite often. Actually, I had to stop and think about what ingredients went into it because I just make it as in when I need to. It's really versatile. You can use it over most things that you would use any type of pasta sauce over such as shredded cauliflower, zucchini or whatever you fancy.

Recipe ingredients
Knob of Butter
200g smoked straky bacon, roughly chopped
Small onion finely chopped or shallots if you prefer
2 egg
2 eggs yolks
3 garlic cloves, very finely chops
1/2 cup thickened cream or Creme Fraiche
100g parmesan cheese, finely grated or in paper thin slivers

To Prepare:
Simply put the melted butter in a large pan. I prefer a nice cast-iron skillet over a medium heat. Add in the onions or the shallots if you prefer. Let them start to cook and then after 2 or 3 minutes, throw in the bacon as well. Continue cooking until the onions are nicely done and the bacon is well cooked, almost to the point of being nice and crispy. Note: Drain off the excess fat if you’re bacon is a bit fatty as you don’t need that much of the fat in the sauce.

In a clean bowl,  whisk together the eggs and the egg yolks, add in the cream and about half of the parmesan so that they are all nicely combined and then season with a bit of salt and pepper as you like to taste.
Drain off whatever you are going to have with it such as your cauliflower or your noodles but leave them in the warm saucepan.

Add to the warm saucepan, the cooked bacon and onion. Then pour over the egg and cream mixture and combine until all is nicely mixed and warming through gently over a low heat.

This actually makes a very versatile sauce base as you can add curry powder and fresh coriander for use with lamb or something like that or you can swap out half of the bacon and add in 200 grams of finely-chopped mushrooms and use it as a fish sauce.

Quick, simple, delicious and cheap.

Now, I feel a need to go off and cook something.  :D

Hope that helps,

Mark
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33:59 AM »
Sounds yummy  :)

Welcome Mark  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
Mark what a awesome recipe! Are you in Australia? :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Welcome, Mark.  Great recipe.

shawn116

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mark  :D