Author Topic: Tuna Melt  (Read 8216 times)

skychant

• View Profile
Tuna Melt
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »
This is one of my favorites.  I take a 5oz. can of Albacore tuna and a tablespoon of dukes mayo and a teaspoon of sugar-free relish and mix in a bowl with some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb...be sure to drain the tuna before mixing.  I then take a Joseph's pita and seperate it into two circles, layer one circle with the tuna salad and a slice of Kraft deli cheese and put on the top circle of the pita.  I use a grill press and toast until crispy and the cheese melts.  This is really good and easy to make.

shawn116

Re: Tuna Melt
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
That sounds really good!!  I bet it's filling too  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
I agree, skychant! :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
I love the "melts" , direct from page 190 of the newest FAT TO SKINNY book :)

THE SAVORY SALADS

I love all the savory salads for toppings on a green salad, stuffed into a nice big fat tomato of simply eaten as a wrap in a romaine lettuce leaf or a low carb tortilla. The basics for each of the following are almost the same, the biggest difference is the main ingredient. Wrap any of the savory salads in fresh romaine lettuce leaves for a wonderful cold lunch or turn your lunch into a hot lunch. Simply change the wrap to a low carb tortilla, scoop on any of the savory salads, top with a good serving of shredded cheddar cheese and microwave it for 30 seconds to melt the cheese.

Savory Salad Base

INGREDIENTS
1/3rd to 1/2 cup mayonnaise depending on your taste
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
½ teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Egg Salad

Omit the lemon juice. Add two/ three eggs hard boiled and chopped to your preference.

Chicken Salad

Add ½ to ¾ cup chopped, cooked, leftover chicken and ½ teaspoon fresh chopped thyme.

Tuna Salad

Add ½ to ¾ cup canned tuna. Optionally add 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper if you wish to spice it up. Make sure to wash your hands well after chopping the pepper. Also try adding 1 tablespoon chopped black olives.

Ham Salad

Add ½ to ¾ cup chopped cooked ham. I like to use the ham from a baked ham dinner. Optionally add a pinch of ground cloves and a pinch of ground nutmeg for that “surprise” flavor.
Salmon Salad

Add ½ to ¾ cup chopped cooked salmon. When I have Salmon for dinner I always pan fry an additional filet for salmon salad. Optionally add 1 to 2 teaspoons of capers and change the chopped white onion to chopped red onion for a stronger flavor.

Turkey and Red Cabbage Salad

Add ½ to ¾ cup chopped, cooked, leftover turkey, ½ teaspoon fresh chopped thyme and ½ cup rough chopped red cabbage.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:39:31 AM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
Don't forget beef salad  ;)   The hubs and I had pot roast this past week and had a ton left over.  Rather than freeze it like I usually do I chopped it up and made some good old fashioned beef salad.   Folks always look at me funny when I tell them what it is...Haha  I guess being from Kansas and the farm country I thought everyone made that  ::)  I used it to stuff my celery this afternoon for my meal......sooooo good  ;D

TooSweets Beef Salad-  
left over roast beef, chopped and shredded.  
Mayo (to your taste) and
a few chopped sugar free sweet pickles or sugar free sweet relish.  
Salt and pepper to taste.  

Delish  :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »
Sounds delish TooSweet. I like to make Philly Cheese Steak with leftover beef

Thin Sliced Beef
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Thin sliced onion
Thin sliced bell pepper

Saute the beef, onion and pepper....add the cheese, stir and cover until cheese is fully melted....stir again and place into a wrap with mayo.........  DELISH :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »
Yumm!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
Yum, looks and sounds great (beef)!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »
Beef Salad? I can't wrap my head around that one TooSweet :D :D

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
You should give it a try Umpa.....It's sooo good!   ;D   Very little carbs for a big batch. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
I will make it when I get home.I am in Alabama on business :)

andyokeefe

• View Profile
    • webdesign company
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
This is one of my favorites.  I take a 5oz. can of Albacore tuna and a tablespoon of dukes mayo and a teaspoon of sugar-free relish and mix in a bowl with some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb...be sure to drain the tuna before mixing.  I then take a Joseph's pita and seperate it into two circles, layer one circle with the tuna salad and a slice of Kraft deli cheese and put on the top circle of the pita.  I use a grill press and toast until crispy and the cheese melts.  This is really good and easy to make.

I've tried this recipe and i love it. Btw, i started following the advices from Doug's book about 5 weeks ago and i've lost 1.5kg. :) I never lost that much with any diet.

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
I am glad you like the recipe.  Keep up the great weight loss.  I have been making alot of bacon lettuce and tomatos lately.  I find me a juicy little tomato from the garden and fry up some turkey bacon...peel and slice my tomato on some romaine lettuce leaves and salt and pepper and add some dukes mayo....then I roll it up.  It's messy but so good.  Keep posting and losing with FTS :)

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum andyokeefe   :D :D

Congratulations on the weight you have lost so far!!   ;D 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:11 AM »
Welcome andyokeefe :) I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask.You are doing great!