Author Topic: Chicken tenders  (Read 3327 times)

skychant

• View Profile
Chicken tenders
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
I do wonder if this is cheating...I went to Hardee's and bought a five piece hand breaded chicken tenders for a late lunch today.  I noticed on myfitnesspal.com that the carb count on this was 18.  I only ate four of them.  Is it true that you can eat whatever you want as long as you keep your carbs at 20 or less and sugars at 5 or less.  I do not intend to do this very often.  I also noticed that a five piece chicken tenders at Zaxbys is only 12 carbs.  I guess I will find out in the morning when I get on the scale.

shawn116

Re: Chicken tenders
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
Here is the thing about the 20 net carbs...... by eating the 18 carbs this afternoon you only have 2 left for the entire day.  I'm assuming you did eat and drink other things throughout the day so you probably went over your allotment.  That is too expensive in the carb count for me.  I'm pretty stingy how I spend mine and I wouldn't recommend it.  For one you may have trouble with coming out of sugar detox when eating carby items off and on like that.  It will at the very least cause you to have cravings.  The chicken is great, it's just the breading that is the problem.   I love Hardees though..They have plenty that you can have that wont derail you....I love that I can drive through and ask for the low carb items.  They have a 1/3 lb thick burger and a chicken club that will come to you all wrapped in lettuce.  Most folks don't know they have them because I don't believe it is on the menu in ours.   Also be sure to ask that there be no sauce on the chicken.....mine slipped in some bbq sauce the last time I ordered  :'(  Their low carb options are listed in their better for you options on their web site, but really you can order any sandwich that doesn't have breading or sauce...just leave off the bun  ;)

Here is the link to there menu and nutritional data  http://www.hardees.com/menu/nutritional_calculator#

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:00:19 PM by TooSweet »

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
  Is it true that you can eat whatever you want as long as you keep your carbs at 20 or less and sugars at 5 or less. 

I want to clarify that 5 teaspoons of sugar is the equivalent of 20 net carbs. It's not that you can have both 20 net carbs and 5 sugars. Always calculate your net carbs 20 or under for the day. Now lets talk about Hardy's. Hardy's has a GREAT low Carb Burger. They wrap a 1/4 pound burger in a wonderful iceburg lettuce wrap and it will fill you up. Skip the ketchup and you're only eating 3-4 net carbs for a big lunch. Why eat 4 little chicken tenders spending all those carbs when you can endulge for far less carbs  ;)

YES it's true that I don't care what you eat as long as you stay under 20 net carbs BUT eating refined sugar or simple carbs as found in high fructose fruits and starch from grains and starchy veggies will make it more difficult to break the addiction to sugar. The quicker you put those foods behind you and develop new tastes and habits the better off you'll be.

Finally I want to feed you a huge platter of chicken tenders with ZERO carbs...ready for the recipe? here you go;

1 1/2 cups chicken breast strips or chunks
1 cup finely ground hot and spicy pork rinds
1 egg, beaten.
1 cup peanut oil for deep frying
salt and pepper to taste
Ranch Dressing for dip (count carbs here)

1- pre-heat your oil to 375 degrees
2- dredge the chicken in the egg
3- dredge the chicken in the pork rinds
4- deep fry to a golden brown
5- eat guilt free :)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

skychant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:04:10 AM »
Thanks TooSweet and Doug.  I did watch my carbs for the day and did not go over and worked out for 45 min and drank alot of water. I weighed the same this morning as I did yesterday morning.  I will definately try the recipe next time I want chicken tenders.  Thanks for clearing up about the 20 carbs a day.  I have always thought that I had 5 grams a day besides that for sugar.  From now on I will count it all in a daily 20 carb count.  I really do appreciate the advise.  I will make wiser choices from now on.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »
Hi, skychant! :)

One other thing you should remember out the 20 limit, it's just that, a limit of 20 carbs.
Some people need a lower limit to see real progress.

So until you learn how your body responds to the 20 limit, honor that limit.
You may find that less (maybe 12-15) will bring you much faster progress.
But only your body will tell you that if you give it a chance to detox.

One thing is sure... Eating foods that contain wheat, rice, or any form of "sugar" will slow you down!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
Chick Fil A offers a low carb protein menu - same as Hardees - http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Healthful-Lifestyle 

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
Chick Fil A offers a low carb protein menu - same as Hardees

Oh lord!!!  That is the hubs favorite place to eat....I'm not sure I want to share that info with him...Haha  ;D ;D  With me going low carb it has cut down quite a bit on us stopping in on places like that.  Thanks so much for sharing though Amber....I truly didn't know I could ask for it protein style there too.  I have done the side salad with grilled chicken sandwich.  Of course ditching the bun.  It sure pays to ask though doesn't it. 

Doug those chicken tenders look awesome!!  You sure can't tell they are low carb  :D

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
MMMM... I made these last night.  The kids loved them (they would eat chicken nuggets every day if we let them).  Definitely on the make again list.  Thanks Doug.

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »
(they would eat chicken nuggets every day if we let them)

The good thing is you could let them when they are made this way  ;D ;D 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Last night I made Umpa country fried chicken, caulimash and green beans........

DELISH!!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)