Author Topic: Lack of family support  (Read 9275 times)

Siltz

• View Profile
    • Email
Lack of family support
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
Have any of you ever experienced a lack of family support in regard to your low carb/low sugar lifestyle?  I'm getting a lot of resistance from my wife about adopting this lifestyle.  She is convinced that portion control and exercise is the only answer to weight loss and is convinced that this is not a healthy way to live.  I've heard many comments on us cooking two different meals, one for me and one for her and the kids.  She often comments on the high cost of things associated with low sugar eating, like almond flower.  Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Lack of family support
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
Everyday BRAG to her about your weight loss! Doubting Thomas's become believers real quick when your pants are falling off  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »
Tell her to read the Fat To Skinny Book book  ;D  Or better yet let her watch this I Used To Be A FAT MAN! Not any more!   Like Doug says....the proof in in the pudding.  When you are shrinking she will notice  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
Hi, Siltz! :)

My wife was a doubter too!
But my progress impressed my doctor and her so much, she's been living low carb for over a year and doing well.

So like Doug suggests, brag about your progress to her.
And on your next doctor visit, ask for a blood panel so that you both can see how much healthier you're becoming!

After all, the true goal of FTS is to make us all healthier so that we can have better lives.
The weight loss is really a fringe benefit! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
Proof is in the pudding ;)  She will come around. I fought Doug for months until the weight started pouring off :D

Siltz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
Hopefully the proof is in the low carb/sugar free pudding!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »
While my wife isn't "discouraging", she isn't changing her ways either.  She still stops at the gourmet cupcake bakery to bring home special treats for her and the kids...

I know I can make my own FTS approved cakes and cupcakes, but that is not the point (and I won't feed my kids cake made with artificial sweetner so it's not like mine can replace theirs).

Since I do most of the cooking, I end up cooking separate meals for myself and them.  I don't mind doing it, because I am committed to FTS.

I agree that when they see us achieve real results, they can't help but come around and be supportive.  They want us to succeed, I know they do.

Mark

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
As for the high cost of eating low carb... sure, meat costs more than pasta, and some of the substitute ingredients are a bit pricier, but overall, I haven't found it exorbitant.  Also, I am no longer eating bananas, apples, oranges and melons, corn, potatoes, etc.... now those are expensive.

What is also expensive is the insulin and the needles, and the blood pressure meds, asthma inhalers, and the increased costs of always feeling lousy.... so you see, you are saving money in the long run. ;D ;D ::) :D

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
Hopefully the proof is in the low carb/sugar free pudding!

Too funny!!   ;D ;D

My hubs doesn't eat low carb either.  Don't get me wrong....he supports me 100% but.....he is very resistant to eating FTS all the time.  He still insists that he couldn't live without pasta, potatoes and bread  :-\  I say he is a grown man and can eat what he wants, but when I cook he eats what I put in front of him  ;D  With my house I think it is a mental thing...with me being diabetic living the FTS lifestyle is a way of reversing my disease and staying off of medicine.   Sigh.......  I keep plugging away in hopes that someday he will catch on.   So I completely understand where you are coming from.  It gets easier to prepair meals that please everyone.  I usually make it low carb and have something carby for him on the side.  Funny though....as time goes by he is passing on the carby stuff .....so maybe   ;)    As far as the costs?  That is exactly what I say....I would rather spend it on healthy food than medicine and doctors.....you choose.   ;D 

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »
A lack of family support is probably one of the most common problems that people on any diet find. The reasons for that are many and complicated but one of the most common is: We as humans seem to have a natural resistance to change. Change makes us feel uncomfortable and when that change is going on in the lives of people closest to us, the level of discomfort is often even higher.

Rather than go into the whys and wherefores of this, I think it maybe more fruitful just to cover actions that we can take when we're faced with this type of situation. Without making a big song and dance about it , we need to assure those around us that we are doing what we're doing in order to have a better quality and longer life so that you can spend more quality time with them; whether that's your children, your other half or any other person who cares for you in any meaningful way. Offering that type of assurance will short-circuit many of the fears that those closest to us may have about the consequences of our changing.

I'll give you an extreme example; a story that was related to me from a source I know I can trust was concerning a middle aged couple. He has had a health scare and decided that the best thing he could do for himself and everybody he cared about was to put his health in order. So after getting some good advice, he started on a low carb diet and increased his amount of daily exercise. Ten weeks after starting his new healthy lifestyle, he was looking, one has to say, like a new man to the point that his wife's friends started to comment to her how good he was looking. Initially, she just accepted this with pride and was slightly flattered that they noticed but unfortunately an innocent comment from one of her friends, which I think honestly was misconstrued, as they said "Gosh! He looks like a new man! Perhaps he's looking for a new woman". While initially, this was received with a highly amused laugh started to prey on her mind to the point that she became concerned that her husband of twenty-something years was planning to leave her for somebody else. It took quite a bit of assurance from the husband for her to understand that the only new woman he would like in his life is the one he has always had but maybe just a bit fitter than she was now.

Fortunately the outcome from this little tale was a happy one. She couldn't deny how much better her husband was, how much more funny he had become  to be with, having more energy, more stamina and the greater inclination to do the same things that they used to do when they we're younger and fitter. She was as encouraged to follow something very similar and the last I heard, they were still together but living interesting and active lives.

As far as costs go, well, mdanziger has said , whilst the short term cost may seem a little bit higher than eating garbage, the long term gains of better health, fewer visits to the doctors seems a much more sound investment to me.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
Great story Mark, glad things turned out well for the couple.

It's really a fallacy that low carb eating is more expensive than high carb eating. Just look at the cost of chips. A 16 ounce bag of Wise potato chips is $5.00. Five bucks a pound for chips. A 40 ounce tup of Snyder pretzels on Amazon is $17.99 that equates to $7.20 per pound!

Chicken is .69 cents per pound, ground beef is 3.99 per pound, turkey is 1.69 per pound, lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, green bean, all are priced reasonably. Even steaks go on sale for less than the price of pretzels. I find my fav steak (London broil) on sale for $3.99 a pound several times per year. When they go on sale I buy 10 and in the freezer they go. Even Prime Rib at $5.99 per pound on sale is less expensive than pretzels. The price of eggs ..... $1.39 a dozen!

Now take a look at how much heavy protein you can really eat in a sitting. Do you eat a pound of steak the way you used to eat a whole bag of chips...nope.  All in all if you look at the dollars and cents and shop smart eating low carb can actually cost less than eating high carb   ;) 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
So true, Doug! :) :) :)

When starting FTS, it was a bit expensive buying replacement foods for the bad junk.
But, we've found that our food budget actually has more elbow room then before! ;D
And, that's accounting for the rise in food costs the last couple of years, too!

It's amazing how expensive the cheap, starchy, sugary, stuff is.
You just don't know expensive until you stop buying it.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
OMG, I can't believe how cheap your food is.  You say your chicken is 0.69c/lb, ours is (at its cheapest)$9.99/kg so say $5/lb for fillets and maybe $4.99/kg so $2.50/lb for drumsticks.  Turkey is more than double yours and ground mince on sale is $6.99/kg so say $3.50/lb - normal price is about $11.99/kg so say $6/lb.  Steak like scotch fillet, t-bone, porterhouse is on average $25/kg so $12.50/lb, lamb is pretty much the same and pork slightly cheaper.  There are of course specials and budget cut prices at various times and higher priced cuts as well.  The cheapest bacon (prepackaged) is $7.99/kg - $4/lb.

Vegetables - lettuce ranges from about $1.50 - $3.59 depending on season, spinach $16.99/kg ($8.50/lb), Cauli and cabbage are usually around the $3 mark, zucc $5.99/kg ($3/lb), broc varies at around $3.56/kg so $1.80/lb, tomatoes $2.79/kg (in season) $1.40/lb.  The cheapest eggs are $2.79 a doz.  A kg of cheese (the cheapest) $7.99/kg -$4/lb).  Deli meats on average would be - ham ranges $8.99 ($4.50/lb) to $25 ($12.50/lb).  Turkey and chicken about $25-$32/kg ($12.50 - $16/lb).

On the other hand you can get a bag of frozen oven fries (like french fries but you make at home, either in the oven or deep frying) 1kg (2lbs) for $1.99.  Ice-cream you can buy 4 litres for approx $5.  Bread - store brand - $1 loaf (white of course).   Flour works out to about $0.50/lb, pasta $1-2/lb and rice $2/lb.  'junk' or 'sugar laden' foods seem cheap in comparison. Donuts 4 for $2, chocolates/sweets vary of course.

Corn chips (CC/Doritos) and most flavoured potato chips are approx $3 a big bag. 

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »
OH GOODNESS   :o :o :o  Me thinks I would go hungry  :'(   I had no clue what a difference in prices Morgan  :-\  How discouraging.  It sure would kinda make you want to grow and raise your own doesn't it? 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »
I'd need to buy a couple dozen chicks and set up a hen house!