Author Topic: Chai drink  (Read 10116 times)

ereino

• View Profile
Chai drink
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
I just started to make this Chai concoction and it is outstanding. 

Chai from Madhur Jeffery's "Indian Cooking"    (4 servings)

3 cups water
1 2-inch stick of cinnamon (hoping on a no sugar diet, that using cinnamon is okay...)
12 cardamom pods (seeds)
12 whole cloves

1 2/3 cups whole milk  (I checked the website and there is plenty of sugar in whole milk, so you may want to find an alternative that won't make the chai look week.  I'll try skim milk or maybe almond - let me know what you are all going to use).

1/3 cup sugar (or to taste)  I used the 1/3 and it wasn't too sweet (I also used Xylitol instead of sugar)

3 tablespoons strong, plain black tea leaves, loose 

In India, Assam tea is used. It is expensive, so when my little 1 oz is gone, I'll be searcing for a good black loose leaf tea.  Any suggestions.  Also, I wonder if there are any decaf black tea out there.

1. Put water in an enameled saucepan over medium heat. Add the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Add the milk and sugar and bring to a simmer again. Throw in the tea leaves, cover and turn off the heat.

3. After 2 to 3 minutes, strain the tea into four warmed mugs and serve immediately.

When I made this, I drank one cup right away, then put the rest into a covered container in the fridge and heated a cup when I wanted it. It will keep several days and still taste good.

shawn116

Re: Chai drink
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »
Oh Ellie this sounds yummy  :D  

1 2/3 cups whole milk  (I checked the website and there is plenty of sugar in whole milk, so you may want to find an alternative that won't make the chai look week.  I'll try skim milk or maybe almond - let me know what you are all going to use).

I would replace this with either all sugar free almond milk or a mix of the almond and heavy whipping cream to get it as creamy as you like.   ;)

Also I bet the FTS zero would work great here if you have tummy issues with the xylitol.  

While in my Walmart the other day I believe I say some loose tea leaves....I haven't a clue how much they were though.   In too much of a hurry to stop and look at everything.  Haha    I know that any health food store would carry tea...maybe even in bulk  ;)

Thanks for sharing  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:36:10 PM by TooSweet »

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »
Sounds delish....unsweetened almond milk would be my choice. I'd also use Zero instead of the Xylitol to keep away the gaseous affect.

Thanks for sharing!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
Asian markets have wicked cheap teas ;)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
Thanks all for the information and Umpa - I'll have to go to our Asian market nearby and check them out.  The Zero sounds right Doug and TooSweet - I'll to order that cause I haven't seen in our health foods stores.  Also, the Almond milk and heavy wipping cream sounds leathal - I can't wait to try!  Thanks all!

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
Doug, this weekend I bought the unsweetened Almond milk - it really is yummy.  Made another Chai batch and it was a lovely taste.  Thanks so much.  Without this forum, I wouldn't have even thought of using an alternative milk product.  Thanks a bunch.  I still have to find a place that sells you Zero - Okay, I could buy it from you and that's what I'll do.  Take care for now and have a GREAT weenend!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
I love it on my cereal ;) Always read labels though some are wicked high!They should be 1 carb per serving :)

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
They should be 1 carb per serving

I thought i would add that they can be 0  ;D  The silk brand sugar free almond milk has 1 fiber making it 0 net carbs  ;)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
I checked the label and it is only 1 net carb.  That's not bad!

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
oh, i'm sorry, just checked again and you are right, it is zero net cards - EVEN BETTER!  Love this forum! 

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »
Doug, what is Sucralose?  I see it is the Zero...  I bought some Russell Stover chewy bars from Netrition, and they have Sucralose in them, too.  I didn't get any gassy side affects.  Please explain and THANKS!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
Sucralose is the generic name of Splenda.  It isn't a sugar alcohol so it doesn't cause the tummy issues of other sweeteners.

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
ooooooooooooooooooooh - I didn't realize the two were the same.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:01 AM »
Sucralose is the generic name of Splenda.  It isn't a sugar alcohol so it doesn't cause the tummy issues of other sweeteners.

Actually Sucralose is the sweetener used in the brand Splenda. Powdered Splenda also includes Maltodextrin and Dextrose as the delivery agents, both contain carbs. I use pure Sucralose in our Zero Sweetener and deliver it with purified water :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)