Poll

Any suggestions?

Need help
0 (0%)
Raging sweet tooth
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: I need your help please  (Read 15430 times)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
I need your help please
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
 I am one of the readers who DOES know about sugar and has ignored it and done it anyway; who lacks discipline.  I'm very reluctant to go to the forum for help, I tend to like to isolate and do things myself.  I feel awful and dejected.  I am always, always hungry (even if I eat high protein, low carb, albeit less hungry with that) and I have a raging sweet tooth.  I feel there's probably no hope for me.  I'm getting fatter and fatter having succeeded and failed for years and years.  Eating over the traumas in my life.  I'm turning 53 on January 28th and  with the diabetes I have and the very fat belly (I think I have had diabetes a LOT longer than when it was diagnosed as have many people), I feel I am doomed.  I don't think I can do it.  I also don't like Splenda (only Stevia) and I worry about getting phytonutrients (I drink green smoothies, but with higher sugar fruits in them, along with the berries...but lots of different greens), and that is NOT low carb.  I am very full of systemic inflammation for years now (high CRP), which will kill me in the long run.  I am someone who does better if I know what to eat and when...that's it...just tell me what to eat and when to eat it, I do better with that kind of structure.  This is my first posting, I appreciate any feedback.  I'm not adept at technology, so please tell me how to read your replies to me when you post...please let me know at mozart8181@comcast.net

MommaB

• View Profile
Re: I need your help please
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
Hey maidmarian and welcome to the forum! Hopefully you will find this reply, I always click on "show new replies to my posts" at the top of the screen when I sign onto the forum! That way you can see what folks are saying to help you!! With that being said, I have had a HUGE sweet tooth as well and have to say that it's waaaay better since I went through the carb/sugar detox, which, for me, took about 2 weeks! To get to that point, you have to be strong and only eat low carb so that you can get through it, no cheating, and drink a boat load of water!!! Here's what I eat on a typical day to give you an idea for what you can eat!

I usually drink a cup of coffee w/4 drops of Zero and 2T heavy cream to start my day. When I feel hungry (usually about an hour after I get up) I will eat 1 sausage patty & 2 eggs cooked in benecol (margarine).

I drink ice water in between meals and I'm really surprised how little food my body needs!

I've discovered recently that I'm slightly hypoglycemic and can't go more than 4.5 hours without eating. If I do, I feel very dizzy, etc.

For lunch, I will have a cup or two of romain lettuce w/ chicken salad (chopped up baked chicken and 1T. mayo.) on top and little bit of olive oil drizzled over.

For dinner I will bake a piece of salmon with butter and garlic "grill mates" seasoning on top. I love eating the flax cornbread ( http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1302.0 ) for fiber or an Umpa McMuffin ( http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4438.0 ).

I usually eat a flax meal pancake ,made from the one minute muffin recipe, every other day for breakfast ( http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=968.0 )! The fiber helps me stay full longer and helps keep things moving through my system too!  :o

I'll jump back onto this message and put in the links to these recipes from the forum to make it easier for you to find them!!

I really hope this helps you and know that we're all here cheering for you!! Check back often and get to know all the wonderful folks here!!   :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:32:19 PM by MommaB »

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:22:04 PM »
Welcome maidmarian.  Don't feel reluctant to go to the forum, we are all here to help and support each other.  We have all been through that awful and dejected feeling, with raging sweet tooths.  And most assurdedly there is hope for you.  Have you read Doug's book?  If you haven't I would truly recommend it.  It outlines everything you need to know, and if you have any questions regarding it, someone is here to help.  I'ts really quite simple, the book tells you what to eat and you eat when you are hungry.  Drink lots water too.

I'm sure you feel fantastic once you take control of your life and do this for yourself.

In regards to the Splenda - if you don't like it, don't have it.  Stevia is fine; you can try the Fat to Skinny Zero Sweetner which is great.

The great thing about eating this way is that we really don't go without, we have so many substituions for our 'favourites'.

Take heart and plunge right in.  Looking forward to your posts  ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
Glad to see you finally made it to our family maidmarian. Always being hungry and a raging sweet tooth tell me you are no where near through sugar detox. Those are 2 of the main symptoms of sugar addiction. Eating high protein low carb for a day or 2 then adding carbs back into your diet will simply keep you in a vicious circle. It's time for you to get serious and clean out your fridge and food pantry. Remove all the carbs from your environment.

Starting TODAY keep everything entering your mouth to the lowest carb count possible. Keep a menu journal right here on the forum by posting everything you eat each day at the end of the day or the morning after. This way you'll become accountable for everything you eat and drink and the forum members can quickly catch any mistakes you are making.

Feeling there's no hope for you couldn't be more wrong so change that thought process to hope. Your confidence level will increase as we help tweak your food and your weight starts to come off.

If you stick with this in earnest you'll feel like a new woman in a couple of weeks so get tough and lets go  ;)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
We can cheer you on if you take the steps.  Everything you mentioned in your list of ailments can be corrected by low carb eating.  I am assuming that you have Type II Diabetes and there are others on the forum who are off meds and have totally normal blood sugars after adopting and living the FTS way.

Welcome to the forum.  I hope we have a long and successful relationship!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
Welcome maidmarian :) I am Umpa, Dougs wife. I hear the desperation in your voice.You have to make the decision you are ready to take control of  your life. I can hold your hand and walk you through this but you have to do the work ;) Commit to just 2 weeks .You will detox and get Blood sugar leveled out. You  will feel wonderful. We will always be here for you :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, maidmarian!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

When I found FTS, I was beyond where you are now.
I too was a diabetic (type II ), and had completely given up hope of ever losing my excess fat and keeping it off.
I would purposely ignore any new program, supplement, or medication promising to help me.

Then one day, I saw Doug on TV describing how much hidden sugar was in the foods I was eating and what it was doing to me.
I knew right then and there, FTS was going to work.

Thanks to FTS, I've lost most all my excess fat.
Plus, my blood sugar is normal and I no longer take ANY meds! ;D ;D ;D
I've been living the FTS lifestyle for over 2 years and could not imagine EVER going back to my old ways.

Like Umpa suggests, take 2 weeks living the FTS lifestyle to see how it works for you.
If you do, I assure you, you'll be AMAZED at how good you'll feel and your energy levels will be through the roof.

We'll all be right here to help you along your FTS journey to a healthier and skinnier YOU! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, maidmarian!!   You have already received some great advise here so I'll just repeat again....Welcome to the family....We are all here for the same reason.  So don't be shy  ;)   You can do this...you just have to make up your mind that it is what you want.  We will be there every step of the way  ;D

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »
This is the greatest, I actually was able to read all of your postings to me, for which I am very grateful!  Thank you all so much!  Here's more info on my whole thing...I HAVE done low carb eating in the past and that is the only thing that has ever made me not as ravenous.  I did feel better after 2 weeks and I actually do know that you do lose that sugar craving.  To answer some of you, yes I am reading Doug's book, which I love.  Also, I love that I can eat hot wings on low carb (anyone have an easy and good recipe?) and I eat a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate for my sweet tooth.  I make whey shakes and I make them very low carb, whey powder/shakes is great.  As for green smoothies, I think I won't ever give those up.  I do use low glycemic berries in them, but I put a bit of banana because the greens in the smoothies keep the sugars in the fruit from spking blood sugars.  I really need those smoothies as I want phytonutrients in my diet.  If you guys have a better way I'm open to that.  I have to say I'm so happy to have you all to talk to, this is great!!!  I am a professional comedienne, singer and voice teacher.  I travel to perform, particularly to Las Vegas and I really, REALLY want your tips for eating for travel, like good snacks for the plane and hotel.  The meals are pretty much easy, right?  Protein and greens, no more baked potatoes and the like.  So please keep writing to me and I will to you.  I am also very supportive if you need me too!  I can't thank you enough for being there for me.  This is about day 4 on my sugar detox (that's with my smoothies though) and I am finally starting to see a light at the end of this tunnel again.  I DO plan on getting rid of this diabetes and belly fat.  I've struggled with this all my life.  Up and down, never fully succeeding in a sustained way.  Talk to me some more, tell me about your stories too.  Remember, please give me travel ideas and a recipe for hot wings!  Thank you to my new family!!!  I need you guys!

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
Hi again Maidmarian  :)  Here is my concern for you with that raging sweet tooth.  As long as you are using those smoothies with the banana in them.....you will find it hard to totally detox.  Don't get me wrong....smoothies are great and very nutritious, but you are drinking a lot of carbs.  You can accomplish the same thing with doing a few changes.  For instance have you considered using flavorings for the higher carb items?  I understand your concern about getting your phytonutrients  Here is a great link about the subject and it's benefits.  http://www.webmd.com/diet/phytonutrients-faq

Smoothies are so easy though....use sugar free almond milk, greens and lower carb fruits, whey protein....stevia and if you like banana use the extract or emulsions....a few ice cubs and blend away.  No need to avoid the nutrients  ;D Just be sure to add the carbs up and add them to you daily total of 20 net.  

As for snacks in the hotels and traveling....I always keep beef sticks, cheeses, flavored pork rinds and nuts around.  Any veggie that you can carry around is great too.  I am seeing more and more in gas stations and truck stops hard boiled eggs and other low carb choices.  

As for the wings.....oh so yummy and easy.  Place your wings (2-3 lbs) on a baking sheet (I like to cover the sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray to make clean up way easier....you will thank yourself for doing it)  Bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes until done. Turning them half way through baking.  When done.....Toss them in about 1/2 cup of melted butter and 1 cup of Franks hot wing sauce (or any hot sauce you like) a little pepper.  This process works great too  http://www.food.com/recipe/simple-buffalo-wings-240022

Here is a great recipe too....Oh my goodness they are good!  The recipe belongs to Dana Carpender and she calls them Heroin Wings...Haha  Once you have them you will know why.  ;D  I couldn't find where she has them listed but the recipe it'self is all over the internet.  

I also like to roll my chicken wings in just plain parmesan cheese and garlic salt or coat in Walden Farms BBQ sauce,lemon pepper, sugar free teriyaki sauce....you really can't mess up wings.  Put what you like on them.  If you don't want to bake them throw them in a deep fryer...it only takes about 3-5 minutes for them to be done.  

Where there is a will there is a way...we can find a replacement for anything you can't live without  ;)  

Update to this post:
I wanted to come back to this post and place a link to the recipe.   All I can find is a link back to her book where it allows you to preview it (I'm assuming that is why you can find it all over the web)....her recipe is on page 43 of the book.  Because it is copy-written material I erased the recipe I posted above, you can find it here though.  I just didn't want to post someone else's work without giving credit  :)  http://books.google.com/books?id=YFJru1M8G-wC&printsec=frontcover&dq=500+low+carb+recipes+by+Dana+Carpender&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pXz7UNv5KIr-8AS5q4CIAg&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=500%20low%20carb%20recipes%20by%20Dana%20Carpender&f=false
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:45:43 AM by TooSweet »

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
Thank you TooSweet, great recipes.  As for the smoothies, I really do try to omit the bananas most of the time and stick to just berries and lots of greens.  I do want very much to stay away from sucralose (Spenda) as it's 2 molecules away from a being a pesticide.  I only use stevia when I can.  Do you ever use Atkins bars?  I know they have crap sweeteners in them, but perhaps for on the go?  I was on Medifast for some time and although I lost weight on it, I was deathly starving the whole time and that's because the stuff is full of fructose, first ingredient.  I have to keep listening to all of you, keep reading things, etc. to learn what to do in a healthier way.  I appreciate it.  I'd love to know your story!

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »
I have pretty bad experience with the Atkins bars because they have so much of the sugar alcohols!! They completely stall my weight loss and even make me gain, if I eat them too often! I would personally stay away from them!

Pork rinds are good for snacking and I can usually find different flavors in the grocery store! Just make sure to check the back for the carb count. The ones I snack on are 0 carb!

I've also found some great low carb tortillas! Remember that you can subtract the fiber from total carbs to get the net carbs! I use Ole' tortillas and they are 5 carbs each. I usually cut one in half and stuff it with chicken salad. Very yummy and gets a little fiber in without having to cook the flax meal bread, etc. for on the road!

I hope this helps a little bit! I look forward to hearing about your successes!!! :D

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
I have a horrible sweet tooth myself...hence the name "TooSweet"  Hahaha  I really like the taste of the Atkins bars but the problem with those is that most all of them will spike my blood sugar.  Some of their math doesn't add up on some of there products as well....hmmmmm  kinda makes you wonder.  I really like making my own, that way I know what is in them.  There isn't any reason why you can't use stevia.  It all is up to you on your choice of sweeteners.   :)

My story is pretty simple.  I have a friend that started using FTS and shared her story with me.  She dropped about 75 lbs and straightened out her blood work.  At the time I was planning for my son's wedding and couldn't stand the thought of buying a dress.  Lord knows what size I would have had to get!!  Haha  I wanted to look really good if you know what I mean.  My baby was getting married, my ex was going to be there....well you get the picture.  I decided what do I have to lose??  But a whole lot of weight...HA!   Well within 2 weeks of being on FTS I had dropped weight sure......but the most surprising was that for the first time in several years my blood sugar was stabilizing with no spikes  :o   I had finally found a way to get control of my life again.  I had been told (by my diabetes nurse) to eat 40 to 60 carbs a meal and up to 180 a day.  Not to worry if I needed more medicine to stabilize my numbers.  By doing that I had worked myself up to a 50 lbs gain, 2 different diabetes pills and insulin injections to boot!!  I still couldn't control my sugar.  By two weeks in without all the sugar.....I dumped my diabetes meds, no longer had to worry about that sick feeling with the spikes.......and after a month I no longer needed my blood pressure pill.  I totally believe that FTS has literally saved my life in more ways than one.   I am also disabled with arthritis, although living the FTS lifestyle hasn't taken that completely away, I can't deny that it sure has helped.  Inflammation in the body is so destructive in so may ways.  When you subtract things that cause that such as "sugar"  it can't help but make a difference.  Trust me when I say I am one that has always had a horrible sweet tooth!  If I were honest I would have to say I still do.  The difference now is I can control what and how I sooth it.  I can make the family all the goodies I used to make and loved to eat myself and not bat an eye at it.  I just allow myself to enjoy my special treats.  So you see....if I can do it I know anyone can.  But I'll tell you if I eat anything that has sugar in it or to high in carbs.....I'm ravenous and wanting anything in sight.  It will take me a couple of days to get back to normal again.   Do yourself a favor and give it a try doing FTS 100%.  Just to get you out of detox completely.  What do you have to lose to get all in for 30 days.  In that time you will feel amazing, and you will easily see how your body reacts when you allow that sugar back in.  By the way that dress that I finally did get..... was amazing  ;)  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
No sweet tooth here!! :D :D  My husband calls me Umpa lumpa like the umpas from charlie and the chocolate factory!!Wicked sweet tooth!! :D :D And I am only 5 ft tall!
Marian the reason people are so successful on fat to skinny is that we don't remove foods we replace them that way when you lose the weight and balance blood sugars there is nothing to add back in to make you gain the weight back Cycle broken.Its a lifestyle change.There are tons of recipes here just go to the home page (red button on left of page) and search for what you want to eat.If its not here just go to the home page to ask umpa. That would be me and I will convert any recipe you have to fat to skinny friendly.I don't do green smoothies but I am a herbalist and I do infusions, 2 ounces of herb to 2 quarts of water steeped for 8 hours.My favorite is stinging nettle but there are 26 herbs in the rotation. I am in full blown menopause and the herbs help alot.They are also very nutritious! ;)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »
I am SO glad you replied to me today thank you.  Thank you MommaB for your reply. Yes, toosweet, I want to do this 100%, I do.  I will even cut out the smoothies and only make savory ones if I must, I don't like eating salad and I want to get my greens.  Congrats on your success, I'm glad you shared your story.  I hope you had a great time at your kid's wedding.  I know seeing the ex is hard.  I have diabetes also, for many years before it was officially diagnosed, I see that in retrospect.  I am a dreaded apple shape.  I don't tolerate oral diabetes meds, so I've been on insulin for a few years now.  All of a sudden even with FTS so far, I have to up my insulin.  What gives?  I had high blood sugar this morning and couldn't figure it out.  I had an ATKINS meal bar before bed, that's what must have done it.  I was craving sugar badly last night. You are right.  I can't eat that crap.  I need to tell you all another important thing that I left out.  I cannot tolerate any gluten.  So, no tortillas for me, MommaB.  And pork rinds make me very sick, I hate them (no offense).  So, no gluten, no pork rinds.  I'm pretty limited.  I live in Oregon though, where there are a million health food stores and I can get away without the gluten.  Thanks, Umpa.  I wish I knew how to use this site better, then I'd be all over it. I am also only 5'1" tall!  Also, my body won't release weight and my blood sugar won't go down, what's wrong with me?  I'm very lost and frustrated.  And HUNGRY. I won't step foot on the scale because I starved down to 173 last year on Medifast and I can tell by my fat body and how my clothes fit  among other reasons that I am back well into the 200's. Can you please tell me...how do I post my picture on here and how do I get email notification when I have replies to my postings?  I told you, I'm an idiot with technology!  Thank you all.