Author Topic: Is this ok to eat???  (Read 6107 times)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is this ok to eat???
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
I found Land O Lakes whipped cream at Costco made with heavy cream, has no carbs or sugar...BUT sugar is the 2nd ingredient.  Is this even ok to eat?
Also, I use barely even 6 carbs all day and at night I want to use the rest of my carbs as a treat.  I would like to have a Medifast cappuccino or hot cocoa, they have 9 net carbs for one packet, with fructose as the first ingredient.  Is it ok to use my carbs this way being that it still makes for less than 20g per day?

shawn116

Re: Is this ok to eat???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
That is great that you found the Land o Lakes...that is what I use myself.   If it were me...I would think twice about using the Medifast.  Even though it is only 9 net carbs and you have the wiggle room...it may slow your detox.  Once you are going strong and have your FTS feet under you....you can pretty much spend your carbs the way you want.  Everyone is different in how they react to food.  Some folks can stand certain foods where it will cause others to stall.  If you want some hot cocoa why not warm up some almond milk with a little stevia and cocoa....much lower in carbs.  You can even spray some whipped cream on top  ;)

That is the greatest thing about FTS, there is usually a lower carb replacement for your favorite things. 

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
You'll do best if you don't spend your carbs on sugar (fructose is a sugar) but on complex carbohydrates in vegetables or low carb berries.  My end of day snack is frozen berries with some heavy cream.  In general, I think it's a good idea to spend your carbs on real food, not a powdered food substitute.  I also prefer to chew my carbs instead of drink them, but that's a personal preference.  You will figure out what effect different foods have on you a bit more accurately once you are through detox and eating a simpler diet.  If you find that eating sugar, even within your carb limit, makes you crave sweets for three days, you'll probably decide it isn't worth the will power.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »
Marian, Land of Lakes ALSO makes a sugar free whip cream in the can with ZERO carbs.  So far I have only found it at Publix and Walmart.  I am dangerous with a can of that stuff.   Love it!!  :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
Hi, Marian! :)

I applaud you for reading the ingredients list as well as the Nutrition Facts label.
That way, you'll know if you are getting carbs even when Nutrition Facts says 0.

I've used "regular" Land O' Lakes and the sugar free versions.

Although both say 0 net carbs, the "regular" actually has a little.
This is because the FDA allows reporting 0 carbs IF there are less than 0.5 grams per serving.
If there were 0.5 to 0.9 grams, the label should say less than 1 gram.

The regular has just under 1/2 gram sugar (carbs) per 2 TBSP.
So you have to be careful counting the carbs in your portions.
The sugar free version is 0 grams of sugar or carbs.

In either case, and as in other foods, portion control is important! ;)
Whipped cream can be habit forming. :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »
Yes, Tony, you're right.  It's dangerous to have around.  I seem to have too many trigger foods.  I bought myself some sugar free hard candy today for my sweet tooth. If I eat too much of that, I get diarrhea, so I have to be careful.  I better not use the whipped cream until I can find sugar free.

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
Check your Walmart Marian.  Ours just now started stocking it.  :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »
Marian - why not whip your own cream?  Then you can add your own sweetner into it.  If I want a treat I sometimes whip some cream, add a drop of zero sweetner and some unsweetned cocoa and voila I have chocolate cream/can add some raspberries also.  Saves on the cost of the aerosol cream as well. :)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
Morgan, that's what I want to do!  Please tell me how you do it...in a blender or in a bowl with a whisk.  My mother died when I was young, so I'm so inept in the kitchen about so many things...thank you

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:29 PM »
Haha  Great minds think alike Morgan  ;D  I just posted the same suggestion in another post.

Marian either of those will work you will just have to whip it pretty hard.  I would use a hand mixer though if you have one.  Put about a cup of heavy whipping cream in a dish, 1 tsp of vanilla or what ever flavor you like and stevia to taste.  Whip it like crazy.  If you are using the wisk...you'll be getting some exercise in  ;D ;D

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:55:15 AM »
the vanilla extract says sugar in it...do they all have sugar, the extracts?  thanks to you and morgan for the tips

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:48:06 AM »
Everything seems to have carbs marian.  I have 0.5c/teaspoon for vanilla extract, which I think is pretty average for most flavours.  You just have to read the nutritional labels on all your foods or consult a carb counter (book or online).
You just add all the carbs up in a recipe and that gives you your carb total - then divide by number of serves. 
FYI - herbs and spices have carbs in them too.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »
the vanilla extract says sugar in it...do they all have sugar, the extracts?  thanks to you and morgan for the tips

Hi, Marian! :)

Some do. And some don't.
That's why it's so important to read those labels before buying.

But even the ones with carbs are usually low enough to be OK.
Just be sure to add those carbs to your daily allotment.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
Tony and Morgan and everyone, I am sick and fatter each day.  I have to cut out dairy, my body can't take dairy.  I have to cut out artificial sweeteners, I get very sick from them.  I only tolerate stevia and perhaps xylitol.  I have to eat a little healthier with more nuts and seeds.  I have to get the greens in from my green smoothie each day...lots of different greens in it, avocado and berries.  I have to have those things.  I am not giving up on low carb, but I have to do low carb THIS way.  I feel sick, horrible, and fatter....and very inflamed.  I have a high CRP and I know dairy is exremely inflammatory.  Read this fantastic book (Doug you'll like this book too along with Johnny Bowden's Living Low Carb, which your book is in and got 5 stars)...which is by Jack Challem, called the Inflammation Syndrome.  He promotes low carb eating, but in a very healthy way...let me know what you think of it when you see it or read it.  It's what I will go by from now on, which doesn't exclude me from this forum, which I love, I will still be very low carb and will be posting and supporting others...asking questions here, etc.  but I have to take what I know to be true for me and cut out some things and still do this your way, Doug, but with some changes.  I am horribly bloated up today, fatter, sicker.

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
Marian you can still live the FTS lifestyle and avoid the foods that make you sick.  We have all kinds of folks on here.  Not all post but I know they are there.  Many that are gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, allergic to nuts, allergic to eggs, soy, can't have the sweeteners....etc...  You are not the only one dear.  As I mentioned....look at the list of low carb foods and pick from there what you can eat.  Put them together to make a couple of menus and switch them out.  There are so many choices out there for you.  If you need help with recipes for the items you like please let us know....I'm sure someone here will have a suggestion.  I'm so sorry you feel sicker...I so hope you feel better soon.  Hang in there girl.  Sending hugs your way  :)