Author Topic: Bumps in the road  (Read 2436 times)

scottinflorida

Bumps in the road
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
Well, not everything goes as planned, but we deal with it.

First, I had to get a new scale because the old one died.  Had that one for a couple of years and it was kind to me.  Delivered some happy news most Wednesdays.  The new one, a little different.  I don't know if the old one was being generous or if the new one has a mean streak, but now I have a few pounds to lose again.  No big deal.

Second, I made the difficult decision this week to not run in the half marathon on Feb 10.  I have been training for this race for about 6 months, but in the last 2 weeks have developed a case of "runner's knee" - more details here if you want to read about it.

My research has given me the information I need to know what to do to get past this (basically, I need to strengthen my quad muscles).  I have a series of specific exercises I will be doing each morning and evening, and this is what I will be focused on in February.  I also joined Planet Fitness yesterday in order to maintain my level of cardio fitness with some "knee-friendly" workouts.  Planning to start running again in March.  I have a plan so I know what to do.

So, yes I am disappointed in not being able to run in the race I planned for, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.  This may mean that my next major race could be my first full marathon instead of a half-marathon.  I will post updates.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Bumps in the road
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
Hi, Scott! :)

Our weight changes constantly for many involuntary reasons.
Given it's impossible for our weight not to change, I wouldn't get overly concerned.
I think, for most folks, staying within about 2-3% of goal (i.e. personal ideal weight) is normal.

It's too bad you won't be able to run the marathon.
But it's better to protect your knee then to possibly live with a lifetime of knee pain.
Your a wise man for doing so! :) :) :)

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
What a disappointment scott, but I think it's better to sit this one out than to cause more damage to an injury.   It's really had to make judgement calls like this when you have been training so hard and looking forward to it.

You will be fighting fit for that full marathon then  ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Bumps in the road
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
Scott my friend so sorry to hear about your knee :-( have you thought about future training on a treadmill? Softer on the knees
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
Sorry for the disappointment Scott and I hope you heal quickly.  I have no doubt you will make it to that full marathon  ;D

scottinflorida

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Doug, a treadmill is a possibility for some people but I just can't do it - I need to be outside and feel like I am actually going someplace.  I'll get past this though.

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:02:07 AM »
Do the strength training that you need to so that you will prevent any further injuries as you know Scott... Nurse's orders  ;)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
So sorry to hear about your knee.  Hang in there and just take GOOD care of yourself!  You will be back at it before you know it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
I can't run on the street kills my knees because the streets are sloped for drainage, I run on a treadmill.Swimming is great for the knees too Scott ;)