Author Topic: Taking measurements  (Read 22562 times)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
Taking measurements
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
People here often recommend that we take measurements in addition to using the scale.  You say that often when the weight isn't decreasing, the measurements are.  OK, I can understand that.  My question is (and I am sure it is slightly different for men and women) where do you measure?  Waist? stomach (belly button)? hips? chest? biceps (flexed or relaxed)? neck? thigh? other?  Do I need to measure all of these or are some better indicators than others?  I purchased a fitness tape measure just for this purpose.  I can't wait to hear your recommendations.

Mark

shawn116

Re: Taking measurements
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:19:58 PM »
I would measure all of the above  ;D  While relaxed.  That way you can add all the inches up all over and have a total of what you lost.  I myself measured around the chest, waist, arms and thighs.  I didn't bother with the hips because I don't have any...LOL  It's fun to watch the pounds and inches go away.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
TooSweet's right, Mark! :)

As far as which are best indicators, different parts of our bodies will shrink at different rates at different times.
Among many, amount and type of exercise is one factor.  Another factor is body type.

In general...
If you have an "apple" (round) body type (shape), usually most shrinkage will occur at the waist and chest.
A "pear" body type (shape), usually most shrinkage will occur at the hips and thighs.

As no two of us are alike, to some extent, we will each differ in our shrinkage experience.
But the good new is... Shrinkage WILL occur! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:17:52 AM »
Make sure to include your neck.  Mine really slimmed down but that might be a gender thing.  It isn't straight down from my ears anymore.

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:32 AM »
Hi Mark,

I would actually use three lots of measuring methods to gauge how well my body shape is changing, obviously the scales although they are known for not telling the truth all the time, and then measuring.

This is how I advice people to measure:

Let's start with the men first:
- Around you neck where the shirt collar would go.
- Around your chest, just under your armpits more or less at nipple level.
- Around you stomach at the largest part.
- Around your upper arm at the largest part but without flexing your muscles and keeping your arm straight.
- Forearm at the largest part with your arms straight and again without flexing muscles.
- Your thighs at the largest part and do take time to measure each leg separately and also around the calves because some men do put fat on around the calves.

Now the ladies: They have a little bit more to measure. Ladies measurements are:
- Again, around the neck where the shirt collar would go.
- Around the chest or bust and it's important to keep the measuring tape parallel with the ground. Probably the best way of doing it is measure around just under the bra and exhale; you want this measurement to be as smallest possible in order to retain the accuracy. Measure your bust as well by standing straight with your arms at your side and measure the fullest part of your bust preferably while wearing a bra and again make sure the tape is parallel to the ground.
- Then the upper arm at the largest part of the arm without flexing the muscles and the arm is straight.
- The forearm, the largest part of the forearm with straight arms and without flexing muscles.
- Then the waist ideally at the smallest part but you need to be the judge of that. The secret is to keep the same place each week.
- The stomach which is normally a little bit lower than the waist, again at the largest part.
- Hips, at the level of the hip joint or the largest circumference of your hips.
- Thighs, at the largest part of each leg again measured separately.
- Calves, at the largest part of each of your calves.

Those are the areas of the body both for men and women that will show the greatest change due to fat loss and a change of muscle tone.

The bottom line is the more places you measure the more indicators you've got of a change of body shape. Different areas of your body will change size at different times depending on the quality of the underlying fat but also the type of exercise that you're getting as well.

One last thing that I always recommend people do is when they first start on an effective diet like low carb is to put on the snuggest outfit they've got and on the same day they measure, get it out and see how loose it's starting to get.

So there are three ways that you can see how well you're doing and encourage yourself from week to week. Oh yes, only do this once a week by the way, any more than that is just a waste of effort.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
Thank you all.  I knew I would get thorough, well thought out answers from this group.  I will start measuring when I do my weekly weigh-in on Saturday morning.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
Well done Mark ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
I agree with Umpa, Mark!... Well done! :) :) :)

In fact, I just set a "sticky" on this topic so that it will be easy for others to find in the General Discussion board.

Tony

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »
I was born with one hand so measuring my arm is not feasible to do by myself. I can measure my chest, waist & hips & neck. By the way, I forgot to measure when I first started, so I'm just measuring my minor progress now.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
Have your beautiful daughter help you ;)

Rhonnie1965

• View Profile
    • facebook page
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
I didn't measure in the beginning.  I wish I did.  :)  yet in the last two weeks with no "weight loss", I have lost inches!  all my big clothes no long stay up (pants)  i'm loving that.  I might start measuring because i'm not at goal yet, but it sure feels good to go down another size :D  someone at church yesterday told me that i look a lot more lean.  my husband weight has only gone down minimal, yet he has gone down a size and looks more lean.  I love this way of living.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
... yet in the last two weeks with no "weight loss", I have lost inches!  all my big clothes no longer stay up (pants)  i'm loving that. ...

H,i Rhonnie! :)

If you look around here, you'll fine MANY posts about how we often lose size when we're not losing pounds.

As we lose, our bodies are constantly adjusting to having less fat.
Part of that is temporarily replacing fat, in fat cells, with water.
Since water is heavier than fat, it might look like we're not losing. But we are!!! ;D ;D ;D

This is just how progress works!

Tony

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
My doctor has me on a mild diuretic so my weight loss shows up with my clothes fitting loosely. This is the only prescription I have. On a new insurance, and need to see a new doctor, so I may not be on them anymore and gain water.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:01:43 AM »
Lemonaid is a natural diuretic. My mom has kidney disease and thats what she uses to flush her kidneys instead of cranberry because its better.She drinks the crystal light. ;) I don't take any medications,never have.Just stick to my herbs. ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
That's so great that you stick to your herbs! I'm impressed!