Author Topic: Literally Watching While You Eat  (Read 4546 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Literally Watching While You Eat
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:10:28 AM »
Do you ever feel that people are more interested in what you eat and when you eat than you are?

I go along in my day, eat what I feel like when I feel like it, not usually conforming to the set meal times, not making  any sort of fuss because its different to others - if I am eating out with friends, I may take my own snack - it's just easier sometimes - but my friends and acquaintances seem to scrutinise what I eat when I eat it. What does it matter.

Usually 'breakfast' isn't until 11am or so because really not hungry, sometimes I just have a muffin for dinner instead of a 'meal', or if I have a piece of cheese for a snack or even if I only have 2 meals - I get comments like 'aren't you hungry yet?', 'that's not enough', 'you need to eat more fibre', 'you shouldn't eat that much fat' 'you'll be too tired', etc, funniest one was today - 'you'll forget how to eat'.  Believe you me that ain't one I gonna forget  ;D  

Tell me, why do they feel they can comment on my choices when I would never make comment on theirs.  I am not interested in their food choices or diets - it is their choice, but my choice is apparently wrong.  Well not wrong but you know what I mean.  

Anyone else with 'concerned' friends.

shawn116

Re: Literally Watching While You Eat
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:57 AM »
All the time!!!!  Ughhhh!  I've heard most of those too from friends and family.  It's so darn frustrating.   :-\   At home I get it mostly with my evening snack.  It never fails the hubs will make a comment how I shouldn't be eating that.  Especially if it is something sweet.  Forget that I allotted for the carbs...it's still going to make me fat.  Haha  Me slimming down and getting my sugar in control and him not doesn't seem to detour the comments.  I think secretly he is a bit jealous   ;D

I also hate how I always have to pick the place we eat when we go out (E-v-e-r-y time!  Like the same restaurants will change some how) because "it's hard to find something for me to eat" (NO IT ISN'T!!!! just in their mind I think) and when we get there they immediately start picking out things on the menu that I can have.....Haha   What's that about?  ???   I know I should appreciate them giving me the opportunity to choose because of my so called "special way of eating" but GEEZ....after me saying for the one hundredth time that I can find something to eat anywhere and I don't care what they are eating.....it would sink in!!!!

Sorry for the rant folks....Morgan I think you hit a sore spot on me  Haha   :D :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:00:49 AM »
I've found this to be very common. There are very few things that we as a society have in common around the world but meal times are one of those commonalities. When you step outside those "public rules" it puts onlookers outside of their own comfort zone. You just keep doing what you do Morgan, you're doing wonderful  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:04:27 AM »
What gets me is when family members want you to cheat ;D  as they are taking their metformin and eating oatmeal. Some people just believe what is in their heads they convince themselves they are right and everyone else is wrong. :D

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Literally Watching While You Eat
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »
Morgan you do not stand alone! I deal with this everyday from my family. It is like I have to defend myself about my way of eating. To be honest at this point I just laugh at them and say watch me shrink away ! Lol
Shawn the whole restaurent thing is another thing I hear all the time.....we better let Steph pick the place because she eats special stuff. Lol it is to funny but hey it makes me feel important and I use it to my advantage. I am never stuck going anywhere I don't want to anymore . ;D

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »

we better let Steph pick the place because she eats special stuff. Lol it is to funny but hey it makes me feel important and I use it to my advantage. I am never stuck going anywhere I don't want to anymore .

That is so true Stephanie  LOL  There is always a silver lining to everything...LOL 

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
Some friends, like to sabotage our goals. Just stick with all you do, and if it gets that bad. try and avoid the restaurant scene ...... etc.
Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »

I also hate how I always have to pick the place we eat when we go out (E-v-e-r-y time!  Like the same restaurants will change some how) because "it's hard to find something for me to eat" (NO IT ISN'T!!!! just in their mind I think) and when we get there they immediately start picking out things on the menu that I can have.....Haha   What's that about?  ???   I know I should appreciate them giving me the opportunity to choose because of my so called "special way of eating" but GEEZ....after me saying for the one hundredth time that I can find something to eat anywhere and I don't care what they are eating.....it would sink in!!!!

I forgot about the restaurant thing.  You're right.  'Have to pick a place where you can eat something.' No matter how many times I say don't worry about me, it will be alright.  Then they start to look on the menu for me like I was a fussy toddler.  Or to tell all and sundry (especially strangers and wait staff) 'oh, she doesn't eat carbs'.  Then to make it worse they might add - so no potatoes, fries, peas, etc, etc.  Or when I have coffee and ask for cream - omg - 'sorry she doesn't drink milk'.  I don't know why strangers need to know my eating habits.  Maybe they think they are doing me a favour by them telling rather than me having too.  The thing is though I don't feel the need to tell them.   

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
It's just reassuring to know that I'm not the only one that goes through that....LOL  It must be a human nature thing that makes everyone behave that way....they just can't help it.   ;D ;D

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
Just stay strong. In the future don't let people know your "Ours" eating life style. just say " I think I will have a steak and salad today."
NO need to draw attention to yourself. When we do, we can open up for a saboteur to get his or her attitude
about their diet habits. Stay strong..... >:( >:( 

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:11 AM »
Just stay strong. In the future don't let people know your "Ours" eating life style. just say " I think I will have a steak and salad today."
NO need to draw attention to yourself. When we do, we can open up for a saboteur to get his or her attitude
about their diet habits. Stay strong..... >:( >:( 

It's not us that draws attention to our eating plan, it is the people that care for us.  I would just order what I wanted that was suitable.  No big deal.  It's like those that care for us want to make sure we get what we want and, for them, that seems to mean telling the whole story to ensure we get it.  I really hate being the centre of attention and find no need to inform people of my food choices; I mean, really, why would they care?

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
 ;) ;)

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 04:45:34 AM »
Yes other people do seem to be really really really really more interested in what we eat than what we are ourselves and as some of you have already pointed out they seem to enjoy pointing that out to all when we're in the restaurant with them and there are many many reasons why they're like that; some of you have already listed some, jealousy, envy, concern.

But we need to write down the concern into two types. These concerns for us that we may be doing the wrong thing which in their eyes will do us harm. But there is also a concern for themselves that we may be doing the right thing and they may have to change their understanding of what is a good diet and of course many people really do fear change which remind me, some of you may have heard the old saying that "you never talk about religion or politics as that can lead to heated discussions" because people don't like being told what to believe or how they should vote. One thing I found is that neither do people like being told what they should eat.

Anyway, I digress. As far as eating at restaurants goes I found two helpful little things that we can do. Whenever I go into a restaurant now I pick up the menu, scan down it, make a choice of one or two things, close the menu and put it down and say " Yes I know I'm going to eat" whereupon everybody looks at you to say "Oh!". So that then takes away their opportunity to try and  choose things for us because we've already made our choice which means that they get on looking at what they want to eat. Now once they are all engrossed with deciding what they want to eat, you can then return back to the menu if you want to just to confirm your choice or maybe decide on something else. The other thing I always do is order first again for much the same reason, by getting in first and giving  the serving staff my order, it does mean that the others in the party will probably have to go back and look at the menu to make certain that they're ordering the right thing which takes away the opportunity for them to talk about what we're ordering.

The next time you're in that situation try those two little tips, you'll find them very useful.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
Great tips Mark ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
So true, Mark! :)

Waiting for others to provide "suggestions" gives them power to decide for us.
And can make for avoidable and awkward moments butting heads over menu choices.

One other thing we can do...
Before visiting a new restaurant, look up their menu online and try to make our choices before entering the establishment.

Being prepared is the best way to maximize success! 8)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!