Author Topic: Delicious Low Carb Bread Recipe only 1/2 net carb per 1 inch thick slice! :) :)  (Read 114548 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
The first loaf of bread I ever made, ever, is in the oven.

How did your bread turn out?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
In the fat to skinny bakery book there is a bread recipe for french toast it is yummy ;) This is a good recipe for toast and sandwiches ;) Its wicked filling because of the flax.I can't eat more than a piece :)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
And we have a winner...

It does have a bit of a flax taste so the kids were not loving it (which is ok since it has zero in it and I don't want them eating it).  Toasted some up this morning with a little cream cheese and sugar free fruit spread.  Yum.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I love that bread toasted, like every other replacement recipe we've come up with there will be a little different texture and flavor but a great and healthy replacement. After enjoying Caulimash could you ever see yourself going back to mashed potatoes? New habits forming for a lifetime  8)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
Been looking for Golden Flaxseed Meal Flour.  I have found the meal, but will I have to mill that to turn it into flour?  I have a nutribullet that has a milling blade. So that wouldn't be a problem.

o0OSusieO0o

I have golden flax seeds and can get more very reasonable in bulk at a store. I'm going to use my Ninja to try to it turn into flour.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Renee, the meal is the same as what we refer to as the flour...nothing for you to do further :)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
Wonderful...going shopping tomorrow will pick up all the ingredients! Makes me a happy camper...and not to forget the sugar free jello! That is at the top of my list! ;D

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
How does it equal 1/2 carb/1 inch slice?

0 carbs - 2 cups hot water
8.1       - 1/3 cup dry yeast (54g)
0          - 5 cups golden flax
8.0       - 2 tablespoons baking powder (40g)
6          - 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
0          - salt
0          - 24 drops zero
1.4       - 2 eggs

= 23.5 total

I don't think the loaf is going to be that big to equal 1/2 carb for an inch slice.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Well, due to my great culinary skills (make that due to my lack of great culinary skills), I have a 23.5carb/1.2 kg brick.  What did I do wrong?  It did not rise at all. The ingredients were all fresh.  Followed instructions to the letter.  Should there have been a kneading session in there somewhere?   Hoping it still tastes alright and will pass it off as 'crispbread/cracker' something, sliced very thinly.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Morgan, we use Argo baking powder which is zero carbs and end up with 8 net carbs for the loaf. The problem with your loaf is that it didn't rise. Did you allow your yeast to bloom (become all foamy) prior to adding the other ingredients? That's the only way to test to yeast to make sure it's alive and active.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bloom it did. There was no carb count on the packaging so I go by the generic value in a carb counter.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
So the yeast was good.....hum...did you let the loaf rise for 30 minutes prior to baking?

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yep.  After the mixing and when I put it in the tin it felt like a 'brick' not like kneaded bread.  Hard and unyeilding.  Let it sit for about 40 mins, but didn't rise at all, so since I couldn't do anything else, I baked it.  It turned out really dense - reminded me of pumpernickel with rye coloring.  Doesn't taste that bad sliced really thin.

I contacted the company that made the baking powder - why is it that they add rice flour?
Surfing a few internet sites you can make your own by adding Bicarbonate of Soda (0 carbs) and Cream of Tartar (61.5c/100g) - 1 part bicarb with 2 parts cream of Tartar.

May try making it once again and see what happens.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have been trying to work out how you would get zero carbs for argo baking powder (even if they used the bicarb/cream of tartar scenario) - I went on the  argo site and they list one serving 1/8 teaspoon or 0.6g as 0 carbs, but cream of tartar is 1.8c/tspn.  Also their 3rd ingredient is cornstarch.  It just doesn't add up.  Your labelling really not helpful in that they can make things low when in reality - NOT.  You need 2 tablespoons for the recipe, say 40g which is 16 c at a minimum.  It is 20c/40g for baking powder - so minimal savings by using bicarb/cream of tartar mix.