Author Topic: Delicious Low Carb Bread Recipe only 1/2 net carb per 1 inch thick slice! :) :)  (Read 114549 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Attempt number 2 was marginally better, it did rise a little, but deflated at the end.  I will bow defeated.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
So is this recipe 8net carbs or 20 something? I'm confused. I'd like to give this bread a spin...do you think I could make a grilled cheese sandwhich out of it? Since I don't eat meat that's the only sandwhich I eat...mostly, except for a veggie one from time to time.
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Hi Morgan, it is a dense bread...not a light bread but you should have gotten more rise. Yeast is a funny thing, results change due to different elevations, temperatures, brands etc... I'll have to look into the Argo BP a little further, the label on the can says 0 carbs...but as I always preach you can't always believe labels. This one may have slipped by on me  :-\ 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Let us know what you discover! I need more variation of breads in my life :P
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi doug, I wonder if it's got to do with the fact that I am at the bottom of the world so to speak.  I had to add more warm water to help the consistency which is why I think it rose a bit more. 

TT - I buy an Empower brand bread mix (golden wholemeal) which is a little pricey $11 which makes 2 loaves or pizza bases.  2.5 carbs/slice, 15 slices to a loaf, which I freeze.   I don't know if it is available to you in the States though.
Have you tried making a one minute muffin into a sandwich.  You just pour the mix into a square container and do the one minute and voila - bread, just slice in half and you have your sandwich fts style.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Hi Morgan, that's not available to me here, I live in a town of 30,000 it's very small. I have tried the one minute muffin but not since I eat eggs, I had to omit the egg before because I was vegan...but I found it to be VERY salty :\ I'll try it again. But I need something strong enough to hold up in a George Foreman grill to make a grilled cheese, I don't do well with the pan fried ones LOL

shawn116

Morgan you have just about made my heart stop... :o  Haha  All this time I have been making things with baking powder and counted it as a 0.   Never thought to check this for those hidden carbs.  :-\   Thank goodness I don't use too many baked goods on a regular basis!  After doing some research I see that the carbs are more than likely coming from the cream of tartar and of course the cornstarch that they add in to protect against moisture and to keep it from caking up before you can use it.  As you mentioned you can make your own at home to save some of the carbs but it's not by much.  The recipe that I found will make just over 1/3 cup or 6 Tbsp :

Homemade Baking Powder

1/4 cup Cream of Tartar
2 Tbsp Baking soda

Put through a fine sifter and store in an airtight container.  Be sure to sift again before using after storing.  An interesting note...did you know that cream of tartar is a byproduct of the winemaking process as the powder forms inside wine barrels during fermentation?  

According to the National Nutrient Database here http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ cream of tartar is 1.84 carbs per tsp, at 12 tsp per 1/4 cup, that makes this whole recipe 22.08 net carbs.  So if you needed to use 2 Tbsp in a recipe it would be 1/3 of your mix from above adding 7.36 net carbs to this bread recipe.  MAN!!! I am so crushed!!   :'(  Obviously the store bought baking powder with the cornstarch mixed in would be higher but still......  I will definitely be investigating the art of using vinegar with the baking soda as a  leavening agent in my baked goods  :-\   http://www.ehow.com/how_8678161_use-vinegar-leavening.html   This goes to show how even someone that has been doing FTS for a while can have carbs slip through the cracks....sneaky little buggers   >:(   I'm off to cry myself to sleep now   :'( :'(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:37:41 PM by TooSweet »

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
oh no TooSweet, don't cry  :'(  if I could fix it I would, but those evil little carbs are everywhere - especially when you don't expect them.

shawn116

It's ok Morgan  Haha  After living the FTS lifestyle for over 2 years you would think I would be used to that  HA!!  It obviously hasn't hurt me too bad, but if you are eating a lot of baked goodies and your weight loss has slowed, it would explain a lot.  It's just one of those moments when you slap your forehead and say...why didn't I see that??   ;D ;D   Very good catch my dear  ;)