Author Topic: Eating out trauma 101  (Read 4604 times)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Eating out trauma 101
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
I had a huge weekend and we were eating out with friends and associates Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Normally it's not a big deal. Close friends all know of my ways and it is never an issue. This weekend though I was around all kinds of people that don't know I'm low carbing and it was tough for the first time in a few years. Friday night was not a problem but Saturday night was a nightmare.
My son is part of a boys youth group and a few of the advisers setup a dinner for the parents with the boys making the dinner. I didn't really worry about about it because I knew they were making Chicken. When we got to the event my son pulled me aside and was so worried. He said all the chicken was breaded, they were serving rice and garlic bread and a veggie. This was a big event and I didn't want him to to have to be concerned about me. So I told him no biggie, I would eat the veggie and work my way through the chicken. Now I am maintaining so I could eat a little of the breaded chicken if I wanted, but I didn't want to. So I cut the bread off discreetly, found out how the veggies were cooked and ate them. I didn't have much to eat but I did it, made it through without drawing attention to myself or my son. Sunday was kind of the same thing but at a relative that thinks I am eating all wrong. She made sure not to have any lowcarb food for me. They served pizza and apple pie! My husband was so cute. I was given two huge slices of pizza my husband took the plate and disappeared in the kitchen. When he came back out, he had taken the toppings and cheese of the pizza and put in into one of my trusty pita shells that I carry in my purse. I had a great meal, skipped the pie and stayed true to myself. I hate when relatives make it hard but it happens.

I guess what I trying to say is even THREE YEARS LATER you can hit a tough situation. Staying true to what you believe and who you are and what you want to accomplish will help you make it through. Sure I could have eaten the pizza or had the breading but the next day I would feel physically sick from the carbs and super guilty. I don't want to feel that way or let others push me into feeling that way. Today, I am healthy, happy and not sick from carbs. It's a good Monday...it's a good year...and staying low carb makes it that way. :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:55:40 PM by SherriPie »
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

shawn116

Re: Eating out trauma 101
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
Congrats to you Sherri for staying strong!!  What a fantastic husband and son you have to look out for you that way!!   ;D ;D  This happens to me all the time too.  I have become skilled at skinning a breaded piece of fried chicken Haha   It leaves quite a bit on my plate and makes people look at me funny but I don't care.  Sometimes I find myself at a places where that is all there is to eat and not having any choice in where we go....living in the south it happens more than I would like to admit.  Country buffets are mostly full of high carb items and little else.   :o :o   It all comes down to like you said being true to yourself.   ;D ;D   I hate to admit that I paid 10 bucks for a plate of cabbage and green beans but I've done it...haha   and felt better for it.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:23 PM »
Hi, SherriPie! :)

Kudos to you for staying the course, Sherri! :) :) :) :) :)
And it's such a blessing to have family that are with you in this 1000%.

It can be very difficult when people close to us try to sabotage our efforts.

How can your relative say that you're eating all wrong when you've lost 230 pounds and are keeping it off?
Does this relative need FTS too?

It seems that people who give me the most static are those that need FTS the most.
They seem to love their carbs so much, they simply can't give them up.
They see now much better I look and how much more energy I have.
But despite that, to "justify" their own incorrect thinking, they'll tell me I'm not eating right.
I tell them if they're ever serious about getting healthier, I'll show them how.

Again, you are a true testament to how keeping your commitment to FTS pays off!

Tony
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:52:43 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »
I'm proud of you girl!!  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »
WTG Sherri!!  I can't believe someone would knowingly sabotage your accomplishment.  They must be jealous.  So nice that your husband and son are so supportive.  You are amazing!!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:56:16 AM »
Sherrie -- so proud of you....and your supportive husband and son. 

Wow, that was a test and you passed it with flying colors....and you're right, you would have not felt well after the carbs. 

It is so disappointing that people will try to sabotage our efforts.....they are "carb pushers". 

But you showed them.  I love it your hub fixed the pizza so you could eat it. 

thank you for telling your story, it encourages us when  we face the same situation. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
I am proud of you and your family  :) I get sick from carbs too. Makes you wonder how we could eat so many all those years?? I only socialize with people who support me.  I think your hubby and son are wicked cool!! ;)

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
Great job. Stay strong, when faced with adversity, and saboteurs.
Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:14:31 AM »
Thanks guys, my Husband and Son are wicked cool. :)

I just wanted to share this because it happens to all of us, not just when we're new to the lifestyle. I know when I first started it was hard, the cravings, the feeling of not knowing what to order in restaurants and everything. I wanted the newer members to realize it happens to all of us, sometimes even our own family (who definitely should be on FTS) can sabotage us. But the key is to just stay strong and make it work for you. These situations happen...we can get through them. And for sabotage peeps....the best revenge staying the course and keeping the weight off. :)
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »
Hello, I'm new here. I understand what you are going through.

I go to a church food bank every week. It's like a social day for all of us. We sit in camp chairs and wait for the food to arrive. A lot of the food attracts me because some of it is organic and the vegetables are really fresh. I pay $20 for about $100-$200 in food & non-food items.
While we are socializing someone always passes around goodies. I always pass but my friends never give up offering it to me. One sweet friend sometimes brings string cheese just for me.
My 13 yr old & I have both eating low carb for a year. He has a VSD heart defect, sinus tachycardia, Juv Rheum arthritis, fibromyalgia and an anxiety disorder.
My closest friends keep telling me that I'm withering away, lol. My 13 yr daughter said to me the other day when I was changing clothes, "Mom, you really have good body for your age", now that's sweet!
She is in Jobs Daughters and every meeting has food. I pack her low carb high protein bars just in case. She does not like cheese so I have to be very creative in cooking meals. I can sneak in a little Parmesan in our Shirataki noodles. At Jobs daughters she explains that she's on an anti-inflammatory low carb, no sugar diet for her heart & joints. They all look at us blankly, lol. One mom makes sugar-free cake & frosting for her. She politely took little nibbles equaling one bite and then said she was full.

daughter after 24 lbs off over past year

Me in Dec 2011 and Dec 2012, I'm down 10 lbs since the Dec 2012 photo
I was born without a left hand, so I pose like that.

I love reading how creative you got at those events Sherri!

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »
Wow you two look fabulous!!!!   :D :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:59 AM »
Susie you 2 look wonderful :) Thanks for sharing the pics. For those of you who are wondering about Job Daughters you can check out who they are here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job%27s_Daughters_International  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
You look awesome!! ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
Fantastic job, Susie!!!... You and your daughter look fabulous! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
Thank you so much everyone! My daughter loves eating low carb food. She feel so much better eating this way. Eating this way got rid of a lot of our belly fat too!