Author Topic: The Truth About Exercise  (Read 2590 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Truth About Exercise
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »
Just like the truth about sugar is coming out, so is the truth about exercise.  I was watching a documentary (the title of this post) made in England about new research into exercise. The study involved 1000 people who were required to exercise 4hrs/week for 20 weeks. Through their research they found that 15% were non-responders - exercise did absolutely nothing to improve their aerobic fitness and at the other end of the scale only 20% benefited greatly.

That it all boiled down to your genes.  They could tell by a blood test - DNA; they also did a glucose sensitivity and an aerobic (VO2) test. 

Hours of exercise is not necessary.  There is a new concept called HIT (high intensity training) which involves 3 x 20sec bursts of flat out exercise (in this case stationary bike), 3 x week.  The 'guinea pig' (presenter who follows up all these new researches) did the the HIT for four weeks and his glucose sensitivity dropped by 23%.  His stamina on the aerobic test was marginally better than original, but it was found he was a non-responder to (I would say conventional) aerobic exercise, so no matter how much he would do it, he would not benefit.

He asked the researcher why in regards to exercise it is still recommended 'more is better'.  Researcher stated it was basically an industry which sells, gym membership, equipment, etc.  They couldn't make money if people didn't need/have to exercise. (The Almighty dollar rearing its head again.)

Another form of exercise which isn't exercise was NEAT (non-exercise activity themo-something - don't quote me on this one as he only said it once).  It is basically 'THE CHAIR IS A KILLER' - get off it.  Stand instead of sit, if you stand you will more than likely move.  If you move, you may walk.  If you walk, walk a little faster.  Just add a little more of the activities of daily living - MOVE.  Stay off your (how to say this politely) bottom.  If you sit, your body stays in 'idle' and the sugar and blood fats 'pool' in your body - if you move it all circulates, which is better for you.

They went on to say that like medicine needs to be personalised so does exercise - the amount and type.
If you enjoyed jogging and going to the gym to continue, but many people do not enjoy doing so.

Found it interesting to say the least.  I had heard of the HIT type of concept before, though in a different context.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: The Truth About Exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
Very interesting Morgan, personally walking into a gym for me is the equivalent of personal torture  :o Umpa likes the gym...especially her treadmill. She benefits in other ways which she can explain. Moving however is another matter. I'm on my feet moving a minimum of 10 hours a day and by dinner time I'm ready to get off my feet.  8)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
The more you move the better for your joints as well....mine will stiffen up if I sit too long ......  and of course there is the increase in serotonin (feel good hormones) when you exercise   :D  

I always say a good salesman can sell water to a drowning man though   Haha  That almighty dollar is at the root of many things.  

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
Hi, Morgan! :)

Common sense tells us that we were NOT designed to be still ALL the time.
If we were, we would not have bone joints and muscles for movement.

We should all find some activity we enjoy, and do it on a regular basis.
Simply walking can do wonders for ones' health.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
I exercise to feel good.It helps with my menopause.Hotflashes are energy so I say use it for good instead of evil :D  I also have tons of energy! I quit caffeine recently and my energy level is still off the scales! Guess i didn't need it ;) It was actually causing me panic attacks.

Hodus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:36:43 AM »
I appreciate you on sharing this post. In my opinion traditional exercises may required more time for results. Quality workout is so better than any long one. New research shows that  Peak Fitness exercises is so effective exercise for maintaining fitness level.It includes far more than typical cardio training.  in which you raise your heart rate up to your anaerobic threshold for 20 to 30 seconds, and then you recover for 90 seconds.

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »
That's very interesting....I would like to see that documentary.  Fortunately, my body is responding majorly to the last five weeks of working out just 3 hours per week.  I'm going to try to find this documentary, and also ask about HIT training at the gym. 

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: The Truth About Exercise
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »
Read and listen to this podcast about moving and exercise by a NASA doctor. It's very informative
Stress expert and retired NASA Life Sciences Division Director Dr. Joan Vernikos is our guest today in Episode 606 of The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore!

After a highly successful career serving at NASA from 1993-2003 as both a researcher and administrator, Dr. Vernikos has been committed to bringing her vast amount of knowledge and experiences to the health of the general public. Working with astronauts for many years and helping them deal with the stresses of a job that keeps them at zero gravity for long periods of time has given her a unique perspective on an aspect of healthy living that many people don't have on their radar screen. Dr. Vernikos has written a book about it called Sitting Kills, Moving Heals: How Everyday Movement Will Prevent Pain, Illness, and Early Death - and Exercise Alone Won't that will probably have you avoiding sitting as much as you possibly can after you hear this interview today! Listen in as Jimmy and Dr. Vernikos talk about what's wrong with sitting for long periods of time and the health impact of being deliberate about including movement into every aspect of your daily life.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »
You gotta move it or lose it! :D