Author Topic: Cravings...  (Read 8225 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cravings...
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
Hi Taby, sweet cravings and hunger are 2 totally different things. Satisfying sweet doesn't mean you need to put food in your belly. Keep some sugar free hard candies around for these occasions. One of my favs are Werthers  8)

NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR !!!!!! the only werthers we get here is the full sugar original and chewy one and the sugarfree one.  I didn't even know they had other flavours    :( :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
Found something that satisfied my craving and became dinner and had a good amount of protein too! I got Stonyfield's organic plain yogurt...I used 1/3 of a cup, some vanilla flavoring, one sliced strawberry, a few drops of ez-sweetz, and 1 oz of chopped pecans and voila! yummy dinner that is also sweet :) I came out with about 5 carbs for it. Ez-sweetz shouldn't make me gain weight should they?
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

shawn116

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
Ez-sweetz shouldn't make me gain weight should they?
  No that is a 0 carb 0 glycemic item.   :D

shawn116

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:05 AM »
We have to watch those food labels like hawks ALL the time!
Because they can increase the net carbs without any other change to their labels.

Tony you are soo right!!  I was shopping today and picked up two packages of Slim Jims to see why they had different packaging.  Turns out they were both the original flavor so no difference in the product only one had a special promotional package and the other the normal one they usually came in.  I turn them over to see the label and sure enough one came to 2 net carbs for 4 sticks and the other 4 net carbs   >:(   It's to the point of being ridiculous!!  I just put both boxes back....I refuse to purchase from manufacturers that can't be honest with their labels 100% of the time.  I believe we as consumers have a right to know what is in our food  >:( >:( >:(

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
Great! Glad it won't cause weight stall/gain! Thanks! And that is ridiculous...why would one package say one thing and the other say something else? WHY is that allowed? I mean, everyone knows that most of the time people on low carb have diabetes and that is nothing to be played with. They should be penalized for that. While I'm thankful I don't have diabetes and never have, I can't imagine how scary and frustrating that could be for someone who does :(
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

shawn116

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »
It's very frustrating  >:(  I'm thankful I don't have type one where I depend on counts for my insulin intake, but at the same time I no longer take any medicine to control it.  If I take in too many carbs my blood sugar will spike making me feel sick.  Not to mention then I have carb creep without being aware....uggggh!!!  Ok rant over  Haha 

Keep in mind Taby...as I explained in another post.  The sweetener may not cause you to stall but what you mix it in may.  Also some folks react to things differently.   What might make me stall may not bother you in the slightest.  Just keep a close eye.  If you begin to stall....nix the sweeteners first and go from there.   :)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:27 AM »
Yes ma'am. The only thing I mixed it in was the yogurt and I tried it in the coconut "oatmeal" but that was not good...the taste was good but too grainy so I won't make it again. Anything I've put it in was good to eat as far as carbs...so if I stall or gain I think it'll be the sweetener.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
...why would one package say one thing and the other say something else? WHY is that allowed? I mean, everyone knows that most of the time people on low carb have diabetes and that is nothing to be played with. They should be penalized for that. While I'm thankful I don't have diabetes and never have, I can't imagine how scary and frustrating that could be for someone who does :(

Hi, TabyTaby! :)

There are three primary reasons for this:

(1) The FDA does not place emphasis on carb counts on nutrition labels.
However, they are picky about the ingredients lists.
That's why I first check the nutrition label.
If the carb count looks OK, I then check the ingredients.
If ANY of the first THREE ingredients is known to be high carb, I DON'T buy the item!

(2) In light of the ever growing obesity problem, our culture is "calorie minded".
From the federal government to the grocery stores, it's all about the calories.
But as we've discovered with FTS, it's really the carbs (and not the calories) that should have emphasis.
Given that, is it any wonder that the nation's obesity problem is getting worse and not better?

(3) The almighty DOLLAR!!!
High carb ingredients (like sugars, wheat flours, starches, etc.) in prepackaged foods are among the least expensive.
Using these ingredients maximizes the profits for the packaged food industry.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
I too have noticed that Mouseissue....it's so frustrating though. I am getting in the habit of checking ingredient list now too...I didn't before because there was little prepackaged foods I could buy. I'm glad to report this morning I was 3 pounds lighter :D I've stuck to the diet straight for 3 days now I think with no poisoning and I think it took my body that long to get back on track. The yogurt option really satisfies the sweet craving if I have to have it, but I found today, my 3rd day on the diet without slipping up, 2 weeks with messing up, I'm not as hungry and I'm not craving as much as I used to. I was going to ask if anyone has craved when they've been on painkillers/muscle relaxers...I'm on Norco and Soma right now for some major back pain and I was wondering if that had anything to do with crazy cravings. I used to be a drug counselor at a methadone clinic and I know methadone can cause people to crave sweets like crazy...but didn't know if Norco or Soma could.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
Congrats on the 3 pounds gone Taby... Your cravings will continue to subside as you complete detox. If you start eating carbs again you'll start detox all over again!  :o :o
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
Hooray on the 3 lb. loss, TabyTaby!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

One other thing to remember, FTS is a lifestyle and NOT a diet.

A diet is something one does temporarily to lose weight.
And when "temporarily" has passed, any weight that was lost, all comes back plus MORE! :o

By adopting FTS as a lifestyle we assure ourselves of not falling into the "diet" trap.
After all, the primary goal of FTS is to improve (and maintain) good health with weight loss being a fringe benefit.
That should NOT be a temporary thing! ;)

Tony

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »
Now dieting and going back, or low-carbing, quitting, and starting again...I could write a book on that! I quit in 2011 and while I didn't gain everything back...I gained about 60 of the 90 I lost back :\ so it's start over time. You know as they say...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice ;) I won't be shaming myself again! I will NOT go through losing this weight a 3rd time. Even though today I was discouraged about still being stuck at 246...I'll keep the faith! I do feel better even if I'm not showing it. Everytime I want to go back, I think about how I've been doing this for 2 weeks and only lost 10 pounds because I kept screwing up the first two weeks...so technically I've lost 20 and gained 10 and then lost 10 again :\ I don't want to keep setting myself back, so for the last week, I've been keeping that in mind! Whatever I put in my mouth won't be worth the days it will take to get back. I just can't let myself keep getting my butt kicked by food...but it's almost an addiction at this point so it's not easy...but what in life worth gaining (or losing ;)) is? :D

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 03:04:39 AM »
Hi TabyTaby! Sugar is definitely addictive! Keep hanging in there. You'll have ups and downs on the scale so don't forget to take measurements so you can see inches lost too! :-) sometimes we won't lose pounds  or might even be up a little but be down in measurements do to our body composition changing. I know that is true. When I was younger and weighed 165lbs I was a size 14 or tight size 12 but now I'm the same, tight 12, reg 14 but now I weigh 189...I do exercise a lot so I'm blaming exercise for a lot of that, but low-carbing over the last 3 years (I just came to FTS from Atkins a couple weeks or so ago) seems to put muscle on my body without as much effort from me. I only really do cardio (running) and hardly any weight training so I don't really get the weight or body comp but I monitor my measurements more than my weight or at least pay attention to both to help balance my emotional relationship with my scale lol. It's hard so etimes but it helps. Oh and the latter half of each month I don't really put too much stock in anything lol. Good luck and keep moving forward, you know what to do. ;-)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
Hi, TabyTaby! :)

Michele gave you good advice! :) :) :)

But your post tells me you may be weighing yourself too often.
Doing this can invite unnecessary discouragement!

Our total body weight is just a PARTIAL picture of our progress.

For example, as we lose fat, that fat is temporarily replaced with water.
And since water is heavier than fat, the scale reading would be VERY misleading.
And if you exercise, the muscles will temporarily hold fluids (including water) during recovery periods.
All this makes the scale very untrustworthy over relatively short periods of time.

Think of typical weight loss progress as the elevation of a basketball as a man walks downstairs while bouncing the ball.
It goes up and down a lot over short periods. But the overall trend is downward.

Another component of losing weight is all the biochemical changes our bodies experience.
Sometimes during those "changes", the scale will be at a dead stand still.

And finally, our beloved Umpa says; "Scales are evil!". ;)

Tony

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Haha...yes you both are right! I started the low carb in 2011...and reversed for a while. Anyhow, I do tend to weigh everyday...not always due to check my fat weight, but to check for water weight since ever since I donated my kidney I've had a few issues with that...I have to keep a CLOSE eye on it. But usually the scale encourages me because I generally will lose a pound a day until that last 15 pounds...those don't like to come off :\ and no, I don't exercise at all at this time....sometimes we will walk with the family, but regular exercise? No. I did have a personal trainer a year ago and did that for a while, until I got pregnant in August :). When I lose a little bit more weight, I'll probably get a little more active again like I did last time around...I'm still battling some health issues currently...also back problems. I'll be starting up yoga on fridays once a week this coming week to try and help the back issues...so I look forward to that! Hope you all enjoy your father's day!