Author Topic: I need some clarity on a website I was reading last night about low-carb/ketosis  (Read 2990 times)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
This is what it said...and I don't really believe it, but would appreciate a good strong rebuttal for it when people say these things to me:

"Well, after a while of having very little carbohydrates available for exercise or daily activities the body begins producing ‘ketones’. These ketones are the leftovers from fats broken down in the body. With enough production of ketones the body starts to ‘store’ fat (a process called ketosis). In other words, that wonderful chemical reaction that gave you that great feeling of, “Oh wow, look how much weight I lost!” turns into, “Why am I gaining weight?!”."

Any help clarifying why this is an incorrect statement? I'm not very good with explaining the ketosis and keytones process...
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
When you are in Ketosis  the body burns fat  for fuel.  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Umpa's right! :)
Whoever told you that, has it backwards!

Ketones are the "ash" that's left over from fat burning.
And the "wonderful feeling" we experience is due to not being in a "carb haze".

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Thanks everyone...I'm not getting that wonderful feeling...in fact, I'm having a bad day. Everytime I stand up I feel like I'm going to pass out, I'm dizzy, and my eyes keep seeing black blotches everywhere...I feel wiped out...then to make matters worse, I gained a pound going from 241 to 242. I DO NOT know why. I even took a water pill yesterday due to feeling swollen and I even went way short yesterday at 7carbs for the total day :\ kind of upset...don't get it. It's very irritating...trying to keep a positive mind focus, but yeah...feeling down today :\ blah.
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Sorry your feeling bad today Taby but I have the opinion that you don't eat like you should. I'd like you to post your everyday intake exactly as it is, leave nothing out. Start a topic "Tabys eats today" and we'll review it. 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sounds like dehydration,electrolights out of whack  ;) You need to speak to a pharmacist about all these pills you take.It is not safe having these symptoms all the time especially with kids at home ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Yeah, they're not all the time...and I don't take them everyday...just when needed, otherwise I'd be a strung out addict :) I was a drug counselor at a methadone clinic in December when I lost my job being so ill, so I'm pretty well versed on my drugs...I have my master's degree in social work and worked as a psychotropic medication auditor as well :) it's been better the last two days, I think I got dehydrated and depleted my sodium. Doing much better today with the exception of feeling absolutely defeated over the two pounds I seemed to magically gain overnight last night  :'(

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Dietary ketosis that produces ketones for fuel and ketoacidosis that the body experience when someone is diabetic and can't control their insulin is completely different subjects Taby! Two totally different things that dieticians and doctors mix up and seem to not want to know the truth therefore scaring people about it. Don't let those information on other sites shake you from the fts lifestyle and truth that doug and umpa have taught us as a community. This that we do is proven science and fact and it works! How do you like my rebuttal? Lol ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Love it! Thank you friend. As I saw with my recent experience with the crazy doctor, it seems doctors don't realize that they are doctors and not dieticians or nutritionists ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Love it! Thank you friend. As I saw with my recent experience with the crazy doctor, it seems doctors don't realize that they are doctors and not dietitians or nutritionists ;)

That's right, Taby! :)

They are pretty good a fixing injured or broken body parts.
But, typically are not good at nutrition's role in preventative medicine.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!