Author Topic: I am very discouraged  (Read 9129 times)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am very discouraged
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
I didn't know whether or not to add this on to my other thread under general or start a new topic, but this category seemed more appropriate for today's posting because I need helpful words today.  Especially regarding this insulin thing.  So, as you know, I am lowering my Levemir by 2 points each day as long as I stay below 130 blood sugar in the morning.  I got it down to 48 units from 52 last night and I'm at 114 blodd sugar this morning.  Not bad as far as the blood sugar number. I know if I can lose this weight, I can reverse those numbers and get my blood sugar more normal. BUT my weight won't come off.  Doug, you did say that being on insulin inhibits weight loss, is that correct?  And it makes me hungry and have more sweet cravings.  I think diabetes does that too, plus being on insulin adds insult to injury, right? If that is true, I would like to call my doctor today and ask him if I can just stop it altogether.  I don't know if that's wise, but I have to get this body losing weight.  All I ate yesterday was 3 low carb shakes 2 with whey powder and one with soy protein powder from Trader Joe's.  Take a look at that one please...it's the vanilla soy and it's unsweetened.  It has only 1 carb. My whey powder also has only 1.5 carbs....and for a midday meal I had a burger (grass-fed beef) that I grilled on the George Foreman grill, homemade coleslaw (just cabbage, mayo, lemon, salt, celery seed), a pickle, one carb ketchup, mustard.  I was right at 20 carbs for the day.  I hear you...only watch carbs not calories.  So even squirting the SF whipped cream in my mouth a few times shouldn't hurt, it has zero carbs.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I am very discouraged
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
Marion you need to follow the program correctly or we cannot help you.Read the book.Get rid of your shakes and replace them with meals.They are not sticking with you.You need food.We cannot give you medical advice on insulin intake.You are not being punished you do not need to starve to lose weight,just change the way you look at it.Food is no more than fuel.Like gas in a car.The reason fat to skinny works so well is we don't remove foods we replace them.Cycle broken Lifestyle change.Nowhere in the book does it say to replace meals with shakes. Shakes can be used for a snack or convenience but you can't live on them ;)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
Hi Umpa.  The reason I do shakes for a couple of my meals is that I don't digest well, I have no gall bladder.  They really help and they fill me up, I make sure they are healthy.  I add flax and chia and even psyllium to them.  Whey protein is healthy. I make sure to have eggs in the morning, like today, 3 eggs with grated parm cheese cooked in a pat of butter and tonight I will have a small steak with lots of broccoli.  I love the books, the CD, etc.  I can't follow all of it because I primarily stay away from artificial sweeteners, dairy (I love dairy, but I eat too much of it, so I keep it out except for cheese sticks and other cheese at times) and I don't eat processed meats like the lunch meats that are in the book...like the deli platter.  I avoid the nitrates.  I guess all of that can be modified.  I feel much better when I replace one or two meals with low carb shakes, I see nothing wrong with that.  I stay low carb.  I feel as if I'm following FTS very well.  I am discouraged.  My body doesn't want to lose weight even with the right amount of carbs.  I don't see the shakes as punishment.  Quite the opposite.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Marion I would be very wary adjusting your insulin without your Drs supervision - it really is too dangerous. Go see him and discuss what you want to do.  You say fts has artificial sweetner, processed meats, dairy - these are options not must haves.  So U can take them  out of the equation totally and never worry about them again.  That leaves the aerosol cream - if it a problem, don't buy it.  If weight is so hard to move you may have to drop your carb limit even more. 

Really measure all the things before you put then in your mouth Marian. Don't have anything until you are hungry, but don't wait till you are starving either.

You seem to be addicted to those shakes and I know that because you are so defensive of them.  Try cutting down to only 1 a day.

You are repeating exactly what you did last time Marian and still expecting things to change, but they won't.  History just repeats itself until we learn our lesson.

Marion I know you can do this, I really do.  In each of us is a thin healthy person trying to bust out but it is not just going to leap out, it'  a battle.  Even something as beautiful and fragile as a butterfly  struggles and is vulnerable and that's  how I see you, fragile and vulnerable and struggling  but like that butterfly, I see you making it.  I really do.

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
Morgan,  I am defensive of them because they are so low in carb and get me full enough to get to dinner and I don't have to digest them too much.  I have been reading posts and even Umpa said to someone that the milk shake with ice and SF almond milk keeps you full and helps a sweet tooth.  I am not hungry enough to have a full meal, so I have a low carb whey protein shake...perfect.  My postings from last time are different, I wish those weren't on here. If I am remembering correctly I was making smoothies back then, even with berries.  This is only whey powder (MRM natural, 1.5 carbs) unsweetened almond or coconut milk (1 carb), chia seeds, flax meal, ice and that's it.  Perfect "mini" meal. I have this darn sweet tooth, it's awful.  I am only dropping my insulin by 2 units each day for now and testing to make sure I am still in the right target in the morning with the fasting sugar. 
I fell off the wagon a bit today anyhow.  I baked muffins for my husband with lots of great, low-carb ingredients, except for the fresh blueberries and the dried cranberries.  The rest was eggs, butter, almond and coconut flour, flax meal, cinnamon, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, etc.  I had half a small one.  I will be able to get back on track for dinner.  And if I'm not hungry for dinner (I have a small steak to make), I will just have a shake.  They fill in the gaps perfectly.  I can't imagine that this is the wrong thing for my body, hence being defensive.  It makes no sense that this isn't correct for me.  I am staying below my carb levels and yes, I would like to get even lower on the carbs somehow for even more ketosis.
Your thoughts?

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
 If you are not hungry for a full meal, try waiting until you are.  Have something substantial that will tide you over for a few hours.  Don't go by the clock or the '3 mealtime rules'.

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »
What Morgan is saying is correct Marian.  Everyone's body is different.  Personally if I want to drop weight I know I have to drop below 15 net carbs and cut most of my sweet stuff, cream and watch my nut intake.  I even remember SherriePie saying that she found lunch meats stalling her.  It's no telling why your body is holding on.  Here is the thing though....if what you are doing isn't getting the results you want, you may have to adjust what you are doing.  Even if those shakes are healthy for you and well within the FTS acceptable foods there may be something about them that is stalling you.  I think the point Morgan is trying to make is that if you are eating real food you won't need a meal replacement to hold you over.  Just some food for thought...so to speak   ;D

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:03:54 PM »
I hear you both. The only reason I like the shakes is they feel good in my gut. I have a lot of gut issues. I can't be addicted to them. They have no sugar. I don't know yet about the results. I have to wait and see. My weight hasn't been moving much but it's only been a few days since I restarted.  Perhaps I need more patience. I remember in the book or on the CD hearing that some people don't need to each much at all. I wouldn't mind that. I know if I have a giant breakfast of 3 eggs with some salmon and Pesto I am not hungry for 9 hours! I like that. I hope it's ok to eat that big breakfast. I am a breakfast person. I know I have been feeling better having gotten the sugar out of my life. I am going to keep working at this...wanting to get off the insulting if it's stalling my weight loss...and wanting to get those pounds off to reverse diabetes. I am going to keep going with FTS. I don't use splenda or aspartame but I am addicted to the SF whipped cream. Sheesh...I won't even look back at my old listings. I can't bear it!  I wish they weren't there' LOL. I need more exercise. I forced it for 3 days and stopped for the last 2 days now.  :'(
Thanks for the help. I look forward to your replies.

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »
I am going to keep working at this
 I have no doubt that you will succeed because of that....hang in there and you are right...you have only been working at it for a short while.  ;)  Once you detox you will be feeling so much better

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
I had 3 eggs with grated parm cheese for breakfast with a cup of decaf with a splash of heavy cream.
2:30 chocolate whey shake with flax meal and chia  (Tbsp. Each) cup of trader Joe's unsweetened coconut milk and ice.
2 pm had 1/2 small muffin (I baked...low carb flour)
4:30 small steak (I grilled on my g.f. grill).sm. bowl of Broccoli with pat of butter
6pm cup of decaf and a one-minute muffin.
Took my Levemir...hate to but did.
Even if hungry I won't eat the rest of the night.  Did not exercise today.
Was my eating on track?
thanks ahead of time for any feedback

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
Hi Marian, my advice to you is to stay off the scale....don't be concerned about weight loss at the moment. Instead keep working to balance your blood sugar so your doctor can remove the insulin from your life. If you stay the course everything will fall into place. I know you're in a hurry....STOP. Your body chemistry is out of whack and needs to re-balance itself. Finding your way to balanced blood sugar without drugs will be an incredible win for you..... make that your goal for the time being  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
I agree with Doug Marion lets level out your blood sugar and then we will have a starting point.When you post your food post your numbers.Are you Type 1 or Type 2?

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
Hi Doug and Umpa. Post what numbers? My carbs  or my blood sugar and weight? Ok I am game to work on blood sugar and not weight as a priority. I took only 40 units Levemir last night instead of the 50 I was on and I was 119 this morning. Not bad. My head swims with too much information. My raw food friends have gotten healthy, reversed their fat and disassemble and tell me eating our way is unhealthy. Even an MD I saw who is a vegan told me this creates heart disease. I don't know who or what to believe anymore. I am feeling sad. Thanks for your advice. I will stick to FTS even though worried.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »
I'm certain you can find all kinds of opinions out there Marion. All I can tell you is ALL my doctors not only support our menus and ingredients..they also promote them to their patients. Keep working on your blood sugar.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
You have the wrong doctor Marion and the info he is giving you is incorrect.Getting a handle on your blood sugar is most important.So post those numbers.It will also tell you which foods make you spike.The by product of getting those numbers in line is you will lose weight;)