Author Topic: 4th of July BBQ and I need help...  (Read 2482 times)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
4th of July BBQ and I need help...
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »
Okay, so for the 4th of July we are going to a friend's house for the evening, and everyone is supposed to bring a dish. Well, the hostess asked me if I could make coleslaw or potato salad...problem is, I don't eat either of them because I don't eat mayo, mustard, or sour cream...I'm considering making the coleslaw, but I can't find a recipe without sour cream or mayo...I've never eaten coleslaw because those ingredients are always in there...but I was thinking, do you think Walden Farms Ranch dressing would work as a sub for the mayo?? OR does anyone else have any suggestions?
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

shawn116

Re: 4th of July BBQ and I need help...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »
Tabby here is a few ideas  ;D  I think Tony has one on here that has raspberry vinaigrette and mayo...you could use olive oil in place of the mayo.  I bet it would be yummy  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4475.0

http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=5196.0

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/no-mayo-coleslaw/  Of course with this one ditch the carrot and replace the honey with sugar free or sugar free sweetener.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southern-Coleslaw/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

Or make this one and leave the mayo out.  Be sure to whip the heavy cream before folding it in  ;)  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4614.30

You can also just use your favorite salad dressing over the top.  Just be sure whatever you use to let it marinate in the fridge overnight....slaw is way better if it has time to sit.  :)  Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:42:49 PM by TooSweet »

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »
Thanks TooSweet! I saw your recipe on here when I searched "coleslaw" I just didn't know if I could leave it out...sounds good...soooo do you whip it with an electric mixer? I've never actually used heavy whipping cream before other than cooking on stove and boiling...
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
Taby, I would bring Macafoney and cheese...that's always a hit AND insures you'll have a good meal. I've also posted my Mom's cole slaw recipe below...no mayo and no sour cream.

Macafoney and Cheese

INGREDIENTS
1 lb extra firm tofu
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/3rd cup bertolli alfredo sauce
2 eggs
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup cubed cooked ham if desired
ground parmesan or romano cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 lb. tofu ( extra firm, well-drained, and cubed into ½-inch cubes), 2 cups cheddar cheese, 2 eggs, beaten, 1/3rd cup Bertolli Alfredo sauce, ¼ cup chopped onion & salt and pepper.  If desired, ½ cup of cubed ham can also be added. Pour mixture into a well-greased, shallow casserole dish, individual casseroles, or pie plate. Bake at 375°F for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and slightly crunchy on top. Sprinkle grated Parmesan or Romano cheese on top prior to serving.

Mom's Cole Slaw

Ingredients

4 cups finely shredded white cabbage
4 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
1/4 cup Wishbone bottled Italian dressing
1 tablespoon celery seeds
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all up and let rest for 1 hour...mix again and taste. Add additional dressing and S&P as required :)

Happy 4th!

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
.soooo do you whip it with an electric mixer?
  Yes that is what I would do.  The mayo makes the sauce a bit thick.  Whipping the heavy cream into a whipped cream so to speak will give it that light thickness.  The taste will be slightly off from the original but I think it would still be good.   ;)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Here is a good one too.  You could use whatever dressing you like with this as well.  It's really good with the ranch but you can use the italian if you like it better.  When I use an Italian dressing I always love to throw in the parmesan with it.  I haven't used the walden farms but you can surely try that....let us know what you make and how it turns out  ;D

Broccoli Salad
8 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
2 heads fresh broccoli, chopped
1 head  fresh cauliflower, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/4 cup green olives sliced
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup ranch dressing

1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and toss with ranch dressing.

2. Refrigerate until serving.

Happy 4th everyone!!    ;D ;D ;D

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
Thanks Everyone for the recipes!! I have a few ideas now. I think I'll bring two dishes...the hostess and I agreed on baked beans with bacon on top...as for a low carb dish I can enjoy will be the coleslaw...now which version yet, I'm not sure, food play time! LOL