Author Topic: giant salad question  (Read 9717 times)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
giant salad question
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »
I am really hungry and I made a giant salad of romaine, 1/2 cucumber,  some chard leaves, one radish (large)  with ranch (less than one garb per 2 TBSP).  Please tell me...is there anything like this big salad that I could eat freely without counting every carb?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: giant salad question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
Hi, Marian! :)

Greens are very good for you... But you have to count the carbs.

The best way to fill yourself is adding protein sources like hard-boiled eggs,
cheeses, crumbled bacon, etc. to your salads. These have very low (or no) carbs.
And... you'll feel full for a much longer time than with "greens" or veggies alone! ;)

As far as "eating freely", as with carbs, we must also watch our portions.
Eating more food than our bodies need is a sure way to slow or stop weight loss.

And if we eat too much (even 0 carb foods), we can actually gain weight! :o
By means of glucogenesis, our bodies can take foods (like meat) and generate higher levels of blood glucose.
And as you know, any glucose that is unused is stored as FAT. :(

Hope that helps! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
Hi Marian

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear but Tony is right.  You can't get away from counting those carbs.   :-\  Your only salvation would be to make a huge salad and portion it out.  That way you only have to count them once and divide the amount of servings you have.  I'm glad I'm a creature of habit just for that reason.  I like to eat the same type of things most of the time.  I know what the carb counts are and how much I can have.  I found this blog where she talks about keeping salad in a jar.  Surprising enough they keep for quite awhile like this.  http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/how-to-make-salad-in-a-jar-2  By the way I have a foodsaver but never used it on these like she instructs.  They lasted all week with no trouble.   :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »
Great link TooSweet! I love this idea for to go food too! Anything that helps with portion control plus its cute ;)
Marion Tony is correct thats what I do.I add alot of protein to my salads. I like italian coldcuts,cheese, and eggs. ;)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »
I LOVE salad and eat a lot of it with homemade Ranch dressing.  Great tips above to add protein sources!  I love boiled eggs, lunchmeat, cheese and lower carb veggies mean bigger salad with less carbs!  .....  TooSweet ~ I have seen that salad in a jar before and forgot about it ~ thanks for the link.  I will have to get me some cute jars  :)

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »
Thanks. I also have seen those salads in a jar and yes they are cute and cool. I actually don't even like salad! But with the bacon cheese and all of that I would enjoy it. Tony yes that is true. Any overrating even protein turns to fat. You are right. But as TooSweet knows me well....measuring, counting weighing makes me crazy. And I am already a short drive from crazy! LOL. I honestly cannot count every carb. I can't do it. I have to know that I have "free" foods like meats, non starchy veg etc and just eat when I am hungry. It will work. It can't fail if I do that. To eat pretty much no carb foods and to just count the carbs on the other types of food.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:10:45 PM »
You certainly have to do what keeps you sane  ;) as for me, I'm the opposite...if I don't know EXACTLY how many carbs I'm getting...I get crazy! I obsess all night about how I'm going to wake up 300lbs in the morning!!! I hate that I do that...but I know as I lose more I won't be as nutso!
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
Hi, Marian! :)

Not measuring or "eyeball measuring" will get us in trouble!
It's how most of us overate for many years... Our eyes were bigger :o than our stomachs! :P

I can distinctly remember how my mind would trick me into thinking what I had on my plate wasn't enough.
But when I'd finish the plate, I'd be stuffed!
And that "strategy" led to type II diabetes, high blood pressure, etc..

I sympathize with your frustration in measuring, counting, and weighing.
But if you must get a little more "crazy" to save your health, isn't it worth it? :)
After all, it's a small price to pay for the wonderful benefits of losing excess FAT and having good health! :)

If you do it earnestly for at least 21 consecutive days,
you will have made it a habit, and it won't bother you very much.

Now the question is... Do you really want to succeed with FTS for yourself?

You CAN do it if you WANT to save your health BADLY enough!!! :) :) :) :) :)
We're with you all the way!

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
Hi Tony, I appreciate the kind words and the support.  It doesn't matter, no matter what I do, my body won't release weight.  I simply have to starve for my body to lose weight, the way I did on Medifast, which was miserable. 

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
No you don't girly! Like I said...I can help you convert almost any recipe to be vegan friendly, low-carb, AND gluten free! I did it all the time for a kid I watched that had major allergies...sugar and gluten included. I promise I will help you as much as I can...you can do it, I promise! There's a whole line of food for people called Vegiacs...they are vegan celiacs and I've learned to convert recipes for those foods...you are going to make it!!! I promise. As long as you aren't allergic to nuts or flax or soy, because those will be your best friend! Most of the converted recipes I made used almond or coconut flour, nuts, and flaxseed and or chia seeds ;)
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

maidmarian

• Maid Marian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 08:50:44 PM »
Taby Taby I eat flax, chia, all that every day.  I overdid nuts when I was raw all last Summer.  Soy...I love tofu and tempeh, but many, MANY people tell me to avoid soy...too processed.  I don't know, it seems to agree with me.  Hey, I was just cleaning my kitchen floor on my hands and knees (I did this for exercise as well as cleaning because I'm so, so out of shape) and VOMIT was coming into my throat right from my gut (obviously from the gut, where else?)....I am not digesting well at all.  I truly think I have to do this thing AS a vegan with my juicer, smoothies and everything raw.  I cannot digest.  It's not NORMAL to vomit in your throat and my gut is always sick.  Yes, I do need your help for sure, thank you.

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: giant salad question
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
Maidmarian, don't despair please. You can lose weight you'll see!

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
No worries Maidmarian...I too have the diagnosis of vomiting and nausea NOS (not otherwise specified) so much makes me sick. You can make it. Tell me what you want to eat and let me get at it :) I'll do the best I can!

Huh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 04:09:44 AM »
MaidMarian,
How are you doing??
I understand that I am coming in at the end of things, however, your condition about not being able to loose weight, having a sick gut all the time, i can totally relate to. I too have been dealing with this for years.
 Most of the time i have to FORCE myself to eat cuz I know that is what I need to do, but not bcuz im hungry. I too feel sick to my stomach most days. It feels like I am not digesting foods...and am wicked bloated...and mostly, my blood sugars are out of wack.
I totally feel your frustrations. However, I am willing to give this a try and hopefully this will be different. ::)
I would love to know if you are feeling any better.