Author Topic: TooSweets quest for un-sweetness  (Read 44843 times)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: TooSweets quest for un-sweetness
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
I LOVE Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds!!! ;D ;D ;D
I also like the Habenaro flavor too.
I buy them by the large jar at Costco.

What I do is measure out a serving in a small plastic bowl, then put the rest away.
This has helped tame the urge to eat them until I eat too many. ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2013, 02:19:32 AM »
Nuts are a hard one for me too  :-\  I like the convenience of the prepackaged but like the savings of the bigger containers.  Dividing them into servings is a must for me....I'll graze until they are gone  ;D  Be Sure to watch for added ingredients like maltodextrin.  Many of the name brands have it in the ingredients.  Including Blue Diamond except for their traditional flavors. http://bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=30   Here is what one of my favorite bloggers says about the maltodextrin:

"Maltodextrin, in particular, has a glycemic index of 110 (sugar is only 57).  Not only is it made from GMO corn, it also increases blood sugar. The scary thing is, since it technically isn't a sugar (in the chemical world), it doesn't have to be listed as a sugar. SO things like Ensure or Pediasure will claim 0 grams of sugar…sure, but the maltodextrin will increase blood sugar even higher than sugar would. "
   You can read her words about it here : http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/cookie-dough-ice-cream-and-weekend-eating/

It's nuts  "pun intended"  ;D ;D  to think that something like salty nuts could have a impact on your blood sugar higher than sugar itself  :-\  

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2013, 09:57:30 AM »
I buy nuts in bulk and have purchased them in packets too. I still over eat them. I crave them way too much. Unsalted raw almonds & raw sunflower seeds are my biggest downfall. I weigh & portion them, put in freezer. No good, I'm a nut addict. So I only buy nuts now when I'm going to out for a long day or a trip involving lots of walking.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »
malodextrin toosweet is why there are carbs in splenda ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »
Are your referring to the dry Splenda?

shawn116

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »
malodextrin toosweet is why there are carbs in splenda  ;)

Exactly Umpa....I was shocked to learn that the glycemic index was that much higher than actual sugar  :o :o

Are your referring to the dry Splenda?

That's right Susie...there is actually 24 carbs in a cup of the powdered Splenda that you buy in the big bag.  They can claim 0 carbs because of the serving size they list on the bag  :-\  Like Umpa said it's the maltodextrin they add so it can measure like sugar.  The liquid form like FTS Zero doesn't have those additives in it.  I am finding it in tons of things that I can't for the life of me figure why they would need to add it.  For instance the pork rinds I almost bought the other day.....go figure  ???
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:59:52 PM by TooSweet »

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
It's so sad how far companies go to get us addicted to their foods. Proves they definitely know that sugar is addictive.

NoellBlue1

• Happy to be alive :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2013, 10:57:49 PM »
I LOVE NUTS...I am so addicted, so I just stay away from them, except for special events.  :o :o
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
Don't feel bad Noellblue1, I myself love to eat nuts lol believe me

NoellBlue1

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
Jay, I've been eating spicy edamame to curb my "nut" fix lately...the spiciness keeps me from over eating them. ;D
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »
I've been eating spicy edamame to curb my "nut" fix lately...the spiciness keeps me from over eating them

Great idea Noel!!!! I'm addicted to nuts too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:05:17 PM by o0OSusieO0o »

NoellBlue1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »
 :) Susie, my nut addiction was so bad that even when I divided the nuts up, I would find myself saying...I can eat a bit more...and a bit more, and even (you guessed it) more, lol. I now understand what nuts do to me, so I don't keep any around in my apartment.  Oh well...there are other foods that I can eat that tastes wonderful without me over doing it.  I don't know why certain foods I can eat in moderation while other foods make me go crazy and loose all self control, its weird.  :P

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2013, 09:59:30 AM »
I buy wasabi almonds, wicked hot! You cant eat more than a few of those :D

shawn116

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:22 AM »
Be careful guys....just about every flavored nut you can buy on the market has Maltodextrin in the ingredients list.  Maltodextrin is higher on the glycemic index than regular cane sugar  :-\   I couldn't figure out why my blood sugar would spike on me for no apparent reason.  Than I started paying attention to the ingredients a little more careful.  mystery solved.... I stopped eating my favorite brand and found that I no longer have crazy cravings out of the blue and my sugar isn't spiking anymore.  Sneaky sneaky....they don't have to list it as a sugar because well it's not  >:(  but it has a much stronger effect on my blood sugar

Check this out :  http://www.livestrong.com/article/455051-glycemic-index-of-refined-sugars/       It's shocking to think about considering that all of the sweeteners listed in this artical are a no no in the FTS lifestyle with the exception of the natural fructose that we get from our berries.  It's even higher than dextrose and glucose  :o  and yet they put it in the granular Splenda and claim it is a 0 calorie product and safe for diabetics to use   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(     Uggggh!!! ....who would have thunk that nuts would spike your blood sugar??   I get so frustrated sometimes with these manufacturers.   Read those labels guys    ;)                
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:30:37 AM by TooSweet »

NoellBlue1

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Good info TooSweet!  Sugar is literally in almost everything, yikes!  :P