Author Topic: Carb Count for chopped/processed/pureed  (Read 3473 times)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Carb Count for chopped/processed/pureed
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »
Okay...a couple of questions. This might seem stupid, but I'm just not coming to a safe conclusion...two things I'm getting ready to make again...mashed cauliflower and low carb strawberry jam...soooo how do you calculate the carbs? I mean, do you count it with the cauli before or after it's mashed? Like is 1 cup of mashed cauli the same as 1 cup non mashed? The same with the strawberries? Sorry, I looked through the threads because I know I've asked this before and others have but I couldn't find an answer! Thanks in advance for any and all help! I NEED fried cauli tots NOW  :o!!!  :D ;D
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Carb Count for chopped/processed/pureed
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »
Hi Taby, I add 1/4th more carbs to anything mashed to make up for the air between pieces. The fried cauli tater tots failed in our kitchen  :'(
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
Hi, Taby! :)

Another way is to go by weight.

Cauliflower is about 0.5g carb per ounce.
Raw strawberries are about 1.5g carb per ounce.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
Thanks Doug and Tony...Tony I don't have a scale :\ Doug...I found a recipe...the lady said that her first batch failed and disintegrated into the oil so she ended up baking them first for 10 minutes then frying :) here's the recipe I'm going to use a little less egg white to decrease carb count, let me know what you think!:

1 medium head of cauliflower
    2 Tbl heavy cream
    2 Tbl butter
    1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar
    4 egg whites
    salt & pepper to taste
    oil for frying

Instructions

Clean and trim the cauliflower, adding the florets to a microwave safe bowl. Add the cream and butter to the bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cheese to a magic bullet or food processor and blend until still chunky – kind of like a cooked oatmeal consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least half an hour. Whip the egg whites to a stiff peak. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the cauliflower mixture to lighten it up. Then fold the cauliflower mixture into the rest of the egg whites and gently mix until combined. For best results, chill for another half hour or they won’t hold their shape as well. Fit a pastry bag with a round or star tube with about a 3/4 inch opening. Spray the inside of the bag with nonstick spray. Gently squeeze out 1 inch sections onto a greased cookie sheet, cutting with a butter knife as you go. When finished, bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes (or longer if you’re skipping the frying) until puffed and slightly browned. Remove from the oven and serve – or heat 1/4 inch of oil in a saute pan and when it’s very hot add the tots. It doesn’t need long, a minute per side to turn them golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »
Let us know how they turn out Taby, when I tried to fry them ours disintegrated as well  :-\
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
Did you see this post Taby?   http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=5201.30

This recipe has less egg in it  ;)  They are good but like Doug said....fall apart in the grease.  Probably better for you baked anyway.  I bet if you pre-bake them a bit after putting them together and freezing them...they could be fried then.  Seems like a lot of work though doesn't it?   :(  Please let us know how the frying comes out

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
Hey thanks everyone! Doug and Shawn, you know, I'm not big on frying...my husband burnt down a house once with that method, so I think right out of the oven will work for me. I think tonight, if my hubby doesn't make me cook a big meal for him, I'm going to do one for me :) I'm going to make zucchini chips and mashed cauli :) Shawn...I love that recipe! The only thing I am trying to avoid is too much sodium from cheese, I'll let you know how it goes!!!

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
You could try rolling them in golden flax meal instead of the parmesan.  I know it's pretty salty as cheese goes  :-\  Let me know how they turn out

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:56 PM »
I'm doing flax on my zucchini chips tonight :D :D

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 03:40:08 AM »
The zucchini came out pretty decent. I dipped them in EVOO, then put golden flax meal and parm on the outside for "crust" and baked them. I dipped them in Rao's sauce :) slight problem...I don't like the golden flax meal...I like the MILLED golden flax and can't find it anywhere all of the sudden. But it still turned out okay...the golden flax meal was just a little bitter and woody compared to the golden milled flax. I did not attempt the cauli fried...I just ate it mashed :) here's another question...how much liquid egg white does it take to accumulate the equivalent to one egg white...does that make sense? I buy the carton of liquid egg white and it doesn't say how much equals 1 egg white. Also, how many carbs are in 1 liquid egg white equivalent to one liquid egg white from one egg? So confusing! Sorry if I confused you :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
If flaxseed is bitter it is bad ,once opened it should be kept in fridge or freezer.Golden flaxseed is milled.I don't know which brand egg whites you buy but you can always go to their websites for nutritional info.Usually on the back is serving size measurement. ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
It was great value brand...there was no serving size measurement on the back...I looked for it :\ the golden flax I have is not milled it's "whole ground meal" it's not the same as the milled, it's different, it's woody, and it's only a week old and has always been kept sealed in the fridge. My aunt got on that was bitter too...I think the ground tastes vastly different from the milled, but that's just my taste buds.