Author Topic: CHOLESTEROL  (Read 6486 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
CHOLESTEROL
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:31:36 AM »
I never realised what big business must be in Cholesterol until I saw an ad on tv extolling the virtues of a cholesterol lowering 'vitamin'.  I thought about it.  They don't actually state that it lowers cholesterol as that may contravene some law or other, just that it may be used (in conjunction with ...) to lower cholesterol.

It is bad enough that the pharmacutical fraternity wants us all to be taking some sort of 'statin' to lower our cholesterol whether we need to or not - preventative medicine is all the go; now we are bombardered with 'health' products to take.
Just watching the ads on tv - preying on our fears - is enough to make us give ourselves symptoms/fear for our health.  And their ultimate goal - to rush out and buy their products. 

shawn116

Re: CHOLESTEROL
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »
I wholeheartedly believe the statins are nothing but pure poison.  I'm not saying that they don't have their place and some folks maybe should be on them....I'm not a doctor that is for sure....  All I do know is that I was taking one and the next thing I know I develop diabetes and was complaining about severe memory problems the whole time I was taking them not to mention the horrible leg cramps.  Now it comes out that they are linked to both of those things.  I no longer have to take them thanks to FTS but I will say the memory problems have all but went away.....except for the occasional why did I come in here and where are those darn keys moment   ;D ;D  As for the diabetes....I am thankful for FTS, I can now have control over that. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
Cholesterol is huge business but the truth is even the doctors are brainwashed about it. Drives me crazy every day that doctors zero in on cholesterol instead of Triglycerides  >:(  Here's a great article written by Zoe Harcombe which really spells out the truth about cholesterol. After you read this and the shock wears off go eat a steak  8)

We have got cholesterol completely wrong

Here are six things that we need to know about cholesterol:

i)    It is virtually impossible to explain how vital cholesterol is to the human body. If you had no cholesterol in your body you would be dead. No cells, no bone structure, no muscles, no hormones, no sex, no reproductive system, no digestion, no brain function, no memory, no nerve endings, no movement, no human life – nothing without cholesterol. It is utterly vital and we die instantly without it.

ii)    Cholesterol is so vital to the body that our bodies make it. The body cannot risk leaving it to chance that we would get it externally from food or some other external factor – that’s how critical it is.

iii) There is no such thing as good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. Cholesterol is cholesterol. The chemical formula for cholesterol is C27H46O. There is no good version or bad version of this formula.HDL is not even cholesterol, let alone good. LDL is not even cholesterol, let alone bad. HDL stands for High Density Lipoprotein. LDL stands for Low Density Lipoprotein. (There are three other lipoproteins, by the way, chylomicrons, VLDL and IDL).

Fat and cholesterol are not water soluble so they need to be carried around the body in something to do their vital work. The carriers of such substances are called lipoproteins. We can think of lipoproteins as tiny ‘taxi cabs’ travelling round the blood stream acting as transporters. So, lipoproteins are carriers of cholesterol – oh – and triglyceride and phospholipids and protein. All lipoproteins carry all of these substances – just in different proportions. LDL would more accurately be called the carrier of fresh cholesterol and HDL would more accurately be called the carrier of recycled cholesterol.

iv)    The standard blood cholesterol test does not measure LDL  – it estimates it. The fasting blood cholesterol test can only measure total cholesterol and HDL. There are two other unknowns in a four variable equation – LDL and VLDL. The estimation is refined further using the Friedewald equation (named after William Friedewald, who developed it).

Total cholesterol = LDL + HDL + VLDL/5 (Ref 8)

As any mathematician will tell you, one equation, with four variables, only two of which can be measured, is a fat lot of good. We need at least one more equation or known variable, to avoid circular references. This also means that:
-    All other things being equal, LDL will rise if a) total cholesterol rises and/or b) if HDL falls and/or if c) VLDL falls.
-    All other things being equal, LDL will fall if a) total cholesterol falls and/or b) if HDL rises and/or if c) VLDL rises.

No wonder an inverse association is observed between LDL and HDL – it is by definition. More surprising is that a fall in VLDL (triglycerides), which would be welcomed by doctors, would be accompanied by an automatic increase in LDL, all other things being equal, which would not be welcomed by doctors. And you thought that this was scientific.

v)    Statins stop the body from producing the cholesterol that it is designed to produce. They literally stop one of our fundamental body processes from being able to function. The intelligent view on statins is that in the very limited arena where they appear to have some ‘benefit’ (men over 50 who have already had a heart attack), they ‘work’ by having anti-inflammatory properties and that the fact that they lower cholesterol (by stopping the body from being able to produce this vital substance) is a very unfortunate side effect. (Drug companies should work on developing something that has the anti-inflammatory benefit without this huge and damaging side effect – it’s called aspirin).

One in 500 people have familial hypercholesterolemia and may have a problem clearing cholesterol in their body (rather like type 1 diabetics who can’t return their blood glucose levels to normal). For anyone else to be actively trying to lower their vital and life affirming cholesterol levels is deeply troubling.

vi)    “Cholesterol in food has no impact on cholesterol in the blood and we’ve known that all along.” Ancel Keys.

Ancel Keys, the same man who did the brilliant Minnesota starvation experiment, spent the 1950’s trying to show that cholesterol in food was associated with cholesterol in the blood. He concluded unequivocally that there was not even an association, let alone a causation. He never deviated from this view.

Cholesterol is only found in animal foods (it is a vital substance for every living creature). Hence the only foods that Keys could add to human diets, to test the impact of cholesterol, were animal foods. Given that he concluded that eating animal foods had no impact on blood cholesterol levels, it follows that animal foods per se have no impact on blood cholesterol levels (not that high cholesterol is a problem – quite the contrary – but that’s another story).

There is no need, whatsoever, to avoid liver, red meat, other meat, fish, eggs, dairy products etc for any cholesterol that they may contain, or for any other reason.

The body makes cholesterol. I worry about a number of things, but I don’t worry that my body is trying to kill me.

Ref 8: EH Mangiapane, AM Salter, Diet, Lipoproteins and Coronary Heart Disease: A Biochemical Perspective, Nottingham University Press, (1999).

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:49:17 AM »
I agree morgan drug companies are no more than drug pushers. ;) If they were out there to help they would be spending more money on research for a cure but they have no motivation to do that because they make so much money.I don't take any medications.I am 100 % natural and holistic.I believe in my herbs ;)

TooSweet

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
I read somewhere that the cholesterol in our arteries is nothing more than a response to damage to the vein or artery.... A scab if you will.... What damages the veins?  Sugar...it acts like glass running through scratching and gouging as it goes.   I agree that we have had it wrong all along I'm so glad there is research out there now that is changing the tide  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:27:29 PM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
An opinion on cholesterol lowering drugs...

Blaming cholesterol for strokes, heart attacks, etc. is like blaming blood for bleeding after being cut!
So when we get cut, let's just bleed out... That will stop the bleeding!

When you consider 40 to 60 percent of our brains are made of cholesterol,
lowering cholesterol is completely bass-ackwards logic!

But when we consider the rampant stupidity in today's society, it might be due to lowering cholesterol.
Just a guess. ::)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »
When you consider 40 to 60 percent of our brains are made of cholesterol,
lowering cholesterol is completely bass-ackwards logic!

But when we consider the rampant stupidity in today's society, it might be due to lowering cholesterol.
Just a guess. Roll Eyes

:D :D :D :D
My thoughts exactly Tony!  Well said   ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
Explains a lot of people out there :D

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »
Very well said Tony! I have had high cholesterol & probably still do. My last tests results showed that my HDL's and LDL's went way up after losing 50 lbs. That made my total cholesterol went up. I actually happy about that.

jbb85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »
Cholesterol. More and more scienists agree that cholesterol is a defensive reaction of your body when eating processed foods (these foods suffer destruction procedures of vital substances such as hydrogenation, homogenizing, irradiation, cleaning). If your body is acidic, loaded with undigested waste tahn this may lead to inflammatory conditions and injuries - and cholesterol tries to correct such conditions. Cholesterol is basically a material produced by your body that is used to repair damage. Cholesterol is also an integral element of all cell membranes, including the brain, and is hence not our enemy, but a friendly element.

Excessive cholesterol is a consequence, and hence lowering cholesterol with statins is not a solution - it is necessary to eliminate the causes of excessive cholesterol.

How do statins work in the body? Medicinal statin disables the enzyme in the liver, which is necessary for the production of cholesterol. When certain active substances interfere with the operation of organism, we run in the risk of jeopardizing organism balance. And statins significantly rob our organism of enzyme Q 10, which is needed for energy production in the cells. The consequences can be devastating, because in the long run an increasingly suffering issues arise, such as fatigue, muscle pain, muscle weakening, in worst case it may even result in heart failure. Risk of cardiac arrest is very high in patients that take statins, so it's best to avoid it. Also, impairment of muscle is a frequent side effect of statin drugs. The heart is an important muscle and statins can affect it, just like other muscles.

Statins have also been linked to:
Risk of nerve damage in the hands and feet and causes trouble walking, dizziness,
decreased mental abilities, depression, weakened immune system, porblems with the liver, they aslo found a possible link to increased risk of Lou Gehrig disease.

If you are worried about your cholesterol levels, and you have not yet started to lower the levels of cholesterol using statins, better think twice. You should know that cholesterol is your friend and not an enemy.

Why do we need cholesterol?

In general, people were convinced that cholesterol is a bad thing, something white and sticky with negative effects on health. It is about time that this myth stops. Cholesterol is really soft, wax-like substance, which is found not only in the blood stream, but in each cell of our organism, where it helps to form the membrane of cells, hormones, vitamin D, bile acids, and on the other hand helps metabolize fat. Cholesterol is also important for our nervous system, as without cholesterol neurological function are disturbed.

Dr. Ron Rosedale, MD, who is recognized as a leader in the field of sciences "anti againg" says: Cholesterol is a vital component of every cell membrane on Earth. There is no living being that can live without cholesterol. This tells us that cholesterol is not bad, but it's actually our best friend. Without cholesterol you and me would no longer exist. The fact that the liver can use cholesterol again and again shows its importance. It's no wonder that lowering cholesterol levels too much increases the risk to die. Without cholesterol we would not be able to produce hormones such as estrogen, testosterone, cortisone, and many other vital hormones. Yet another example of how cholesterol is important, is the task of the HDL cholesterol, which mission is to pick up cholesterol from the tissues and arteries and transport it back to the liver. If bad cholesterol was harmful to the organism the organism would try to get rid of it, but cholesterol actually returns back to the liver. Why? Because the liver can re-use it! Our body produces it because it is so vital for our health!

Do you really have high cholesterol?

Sally Fallon, President of the Weston A. Price Foundation, and Mary G. Enig, expert in organic chemistry, have gone so far on the subject of cholesterol that call high cholesterol "a newly invented, or fake disease" that started to appear when the experts learned to measure cholesterol levels in the blood. There is also one interpretation of high cholesterol and that is that the increase in cholesterol is a partial result of an inflammatory condition in the organism. The body sends cholesterol to the site of inflammation or injury, to help in the treatment and to help rpair the damage. At that time, the body produces more cholesterol. Conventional method of lowering cholesterol is totally wrong, because picking on the symptoms, not the detection and elimination of the causes of inflammation in the body, leads to high cholesterol.

Dangers of excessively low cholesterol levels

A general belief is that for a healthy heart it is necessary to lower total cholesterol levels below 200 mg / dl. But the fact is that lowering cholesterol does not resolve the underlying causes and may threaten our health. Extensive research in Holland found out that individuals with the lowest cholesterol were six times more likely to commit suicide. It has been shown that individuals with chronically low cholesterol have depressive symptoms. Cholesterol affects the metabolism of serotonin-substance, which is involved in regulating our moods. Dozens of other studies show that low cholesterol is linked with aggressive behavior due to disturbances in the activity of serotonin. One meta-analysis has even shown that people who take statins are more likely to suffer from cancer and Parkinson's disease.

How do we know that our cholesterol is really too high?

Below 150 mg/dl is trated low, the optimal is over 200 mg/dl, anything above 300 mg/dl is too high. Relation between the HDL cholesterol and total cholesterol is an indicator of risk for our heart. The ratio is obtained by dividing the HDL to total cholesterol. Ideally, the ratio should be 25 percent,  but higher is better. If the ratio falls below 15-20 percent you are in danger, if percentage is under 10 percent that means that our heart is in great danger. You can do the same with triglycerides and HDL. The ratio should be below 2.

How can we safely optimize cholesterol levels?

75% of cholesterol is produced by the liver, which are influenced by the amount of insulin. Our activities should be directed to regulate insulin, as with insulin we also regulate cholesterol. Insulin is effectively reduced by exercising and propriate diet. Food that increases insulin also contribute to higher cholesterol levels because it stimulates the liver to produce more cholesterol.
Hope this helps.
Make use of the BMR calculator to calculate your basal metabolic rate and see if you are above or below required caloric intake. http://healthiack.com/bmr-calculator

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
Hi, jbb85! :)

Cholesterol has gotten a bad reputation from bad propaganda.
When you consider that our brains are 40-60% cholesterol, you get my drift. ;)

I used to take the statin, Crestor before FTS.
But I took myself off it and my cholesterol levels fell to ideal levels thanks to the FTS lifestyle! ;D ;D ;D

Please read this...
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4164.msg41159#msg41159

Tony

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
Good article JBB
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
GREAT JOB JBB!!What do you do for a living? :)

jbb85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
I'm an IT guy, but lately I am focusing more and more in "health": healthy food, healthy lifestyle. I am far from perfect though, as I have many flaws of my own. I have a sweet tooth and pretty it's bad. But I'm struggling. This might be the reason I started to pay so much interest in my own health. I mean, health is our wealth, right?

Make use of the BMR calculator to calculate your basal metabolic rate and see if you are above or below required caloric intake. http://healthiack.com/bmr-calculator

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »
Hi, jbb85! :)

I'm a retired IT guy! :)
And am also far from perfect.

Before I started FTS, my "Sweet tooth" was the worst after dinner.
I would have a BIG desert... usually followed later on with candy.

I still like sweets. But they no longer control me.
Once or twice a week, I'll treat myself to a couple pieces of sugar free candy.
Or maybe an FTS-friendly dessert.

As time goes by, you too will find your urge for sweets becoming less "urgent".

And you are so very right... Our health IS our wealth?
Why?... If we lose it, all the money in the world won't buy it back!

Good health the most precious thing we can possess.
So we better do what we can to keep it! ;)

Tony