Author Topic: hair  (Read 13237 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
hair
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
I've noticed as I've gotten older that my hair has gotten drier and a bit coarser.  I don't usually use a hairdryer, straightener or curler.  I do put a color every so often though. Has anyone got a helpful hint to put some shine into lacklustre hair.  Been toying with the idea of coconut oil but don't want to be caught out during the day with greasy hair or staining my pillowcases at night.   The commercial products aren't that great and are really quite expensive for what U get. Or you end up with 'icky' hair and have to wash it out.  Thanks

shawn116

Re: hair
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »
I used to do a mayo treatment (be sure to use real mayonnaise) every now and then....but I was thinking coconut oil while I was reading this...Haha  I would only leave it in for a little while wrapped in a towel.  Did my nails, bubble bath, facial etc while waiting you get the drift  ;D  then wash as usual.  Seems now that I am eating more coconut oil though my hair has improved to the point that a friend mentioned how healthy my hair has been looking.  That is saying something with all the meds I have to take for my arthritis  Haha  If anything you will feel pampered  :D :D  This could also be from a vitamin deficiency.  I believe I read somewhere that if you are low in vitamin A and zinc your hair will be dry, coarse and brittle .... just a thought   ::)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
Vit deficiency...hmm.... I do take a multivitamin daily plus recently one for hair,nails,skin (I'm waiting for that one to kick in :)). Though the pampering thing sounds good. Put the oil in my hair, shave legs, pedicure, manicure, facial then a shower to wash everything off :).  Might just be the makings of a plan.  Though the odds will be someone will come visit.... Haha... I'll just pass them the coconut oil and nail polish and they can join in.

Good idea TooSweet.

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Though the odds will be someone will come visit.... Haha.

That is usually what happens to me  Haha   :D :D :D  Spa time !!   ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
As we age this is normal Morgan ;) My hair and skin gets wicked dry.I take 5000 mg of MSM daily .It will improve the texture and make your hair grow like crazy! I also use Morrocan oil for shine and its not greasy.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »
What does MSM stand for umpa?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »

MSM (methyl-sufonyl-methane), a stable metabolite of DMSO, is a special biological sulfur found in all plants, soils, fruits, vegetables, fish, poultry, eggs, meats and milk. It is organic sulfur, a naturally occurring compound in the human body. In the purified form that we sell, it is an odorless white crystal with a slightly bitter taste
  Unknown to most of us, sulfur is one of the five basic elements of life. Sulfur is an indispensable component in human nutrition. It's found in every cell in the body, and is structurally and functionally important to 150 compounds, including hormones, enzymes, antibodies and antioxidants. Sulfur itself is held mainly in the muscles, skin, bones, nails and hair. MSM provides the essential sulfur necessary for a number of body compounds.

Sulfur is an essential component of various compounds and processes in the body, and is necessary for the synthesis of collagen, immunoglobulin and enzymes. In the body, sulfur:

* Maintains cell membrane flexibility and permeability, promoting an efficient exchange of nutrients and waste products.

* Ensures connective tissue health and the formation of collagen.

* Provides the body with raw materials needed to create new cells, to repair and replace damaged tissues and organs.

* Figures into energy production, as a component of insulin and a prerequisite for normal carbohydrate metabolism.

* Is essential in maintaining the body's crucial acid/alkaline (pH) balance.

* Is an activator of thiamine, vitamin C, biotin and pantothenic acid.

Sunshine

• View Profile
    • Sachs Central
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »
I also take MSM but only 1000 per day - good to know I could ramp that up!!!  I've also started taking collagen to help my shoulder but it has hair and skin benefits too.  I've also seen Keratin in pill form but if you eat enough protein it's probably fine.  I've tried to find a brand of hair, skin and nail vitamins with horsetail extract and silica but don't take me at my word without doing you're own research :) :)

bdiane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
Umpa,
Where do you get MSM? Can I take it while I am doing chemo? I am currently on Velcade(chemo). I am trying to figure out what I can add to my diet to help my body heal itself.
Thanks,
Diane

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 04:44:47 AM »
Umpa - I've bought some msm powder and read up in regards to dosage (to build up dosage) but it doesn't exactly say how to take it.  Do you mix with water? Sprinkle on food?  Does putting in hot food defeat the purpose?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
You can mix it with water ,put it in capsules or just put the powder in your mouth(thats how they treat thrush.)Sunshine I also take horsetail  silica( horsetail is silica)and biotin.I love swanson vitamins for their prices and quality.They also have great prices on unblanched almond flour and flat rate shipping.
bdiane i cant give you advice without you checking with your doctor because I am not educated enough on chemo.I take nourishing herbal infusions everyday.My favorite is stinging nettle.I take a 2 quart mason jar add 2 ounces of dried nettle pour in boiling water to fill the jar and let sit for 8 hours and strain.Put in the fridge.I drink a quart a day.It makes me feel incredible.Full of vitamins and minerals.Gives me lots of energy and is great for my menopause.You can buy stinging nettle cheap by the pound.If it was me I would start with this and the msm but please check with your doctor first.If you like this there are several other herbs that can also be taken in nourishing infusions.I will help you.  ;)

bdiane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
Thanks, Umpa. I will check with my Dr. The nettle concoction sounds interesting. I'll have to read up on it. Is there a place you like to go on the internet to research herbs?
Thanks,
Diane

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
Biotin helped my hair & nails but made my chin and body hairy, lol. Will MSM do that too?

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
Biotin helped my hair & nails but made my chin and body hairy, lol. Will MSM do that too?

Oh great :(

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 07:06:50 AM »
I take biotin and I dont have that problem , but as we know no two are alike