Author Topic: ketostix  (Read 4351 times)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
Re: ketostix
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 12:48:10 AM »
Hi Morgan -- I agreee sometimes it's frustrating ..  I tried the ketostix too and found them very unreliable -- they were more reliable actually of advising me if I was less hydrated than I should be (concentrated pee showed higher ketones). 

I have been toying with the idea of using a meter -- there is a glucose meter that is manufactured that also measures blood ketone levels.....I've not decided yet though.

shawn116

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »
Hi Elizabeth 

Just thinking out loud here but if you don't have diabetes (meaning your body can't handle processing the carbs, glucose etc...) I'm not sure a glucometer will be helpful for you.  I may be thinking totally wrong here but if your body is flawed (like mine because I have diabetes) it can no longer function properly and will show the high readings; but if it isn't it will just jump into action and do what it needs to do to control the levels therefore not showing much if anything that was amiss.  Is this making any sense at all ?

For instance if I were to sit down to a plate of pasta my reading would shoot up in no time but I remember awhile back out of curiosity we tested my hubs blood sugar 45 minutes after he ate ( what I'm sure was at least 2 servings of pasta) he scored still only a 97.  I'm sure his body was working overtime like crazy to process it all to get a great number like that.  I would just hate for you to waist your money on something that might not be helpful.  Your body my work against you on what you are trying to accomplish  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
Hi, Elizabeth! :)

I agree with Shawn!

Unless you have diabetes, or would just like feedback on how your body responds to different foods,
save your money.
There is nothing we cannot learn from our progress in lowering sizes and weight that the meter will tell us.

My axiom... Our bodies are the best "meters" to tell us what's going (or not going) on. ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 12:46:42 PM »
I agree totally with both of you ;)