Author Topic: Moms teach your daughters  (Read 8010 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Moms teach your daughters
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
Love this!!!
http://www.ivillage.com/experts-say-eating-disorders-start-home/6-a-545852?nlcid=in|09-02-2013|&_mid=2029738&_rid=2029738.55000.44893

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Moms teach your daughters
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »
That's so true, Umpa! :) :) :)

It makes a point many moms (and dads) never think about.
And it applies to boys, too!

Our children watch, listen, and learn from us like little sponges.
If they hear us talking about how fat (or skinny) we are, they too will likely develop issues with weight.

A positive self-image is instilled at an early age with kids.
So too is a negative one.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
Exactly!! I have said it a thousand times,children have to be taught how to eat!They don't have any money mom and dad are bringing the food in! A positive self image will make the teenage years more bearable. True Beauty is on the inside not the outside. ;) ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
I've talked to Mary about only wanting to be healthy. She is close to 5' 3" and a size 3. She's developing nicely and says she won't mind if her hips widen as she develops normally & and she ends up a size 5. She knows being healthy is priority. I'm a size 10-12 now and she tells me my size is perfect for me. Bless her.
Water spilled on her lap top cord & power strip middle of night. Her kitty did it, she was so upset. Made some coconut cupcakes for her today from the FTS Bakery Book "Coconut Cake" recipe.
Going to sit here at my computer, elevating my foot & wait for the timer. Broke my little toe a few days ago.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
Hi, Susie! :)

Sorry to hear that you broke your toe. :(

But I see that you're only one pound away from goal!!!
To that, I say...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D HOORAY, SUSIE!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And may the Good Lord continue to bless you and your lovely daughter!

Tony

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »
Oh ouch!!  I hope your toe heals quickly Susie  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:23 PM »
toes take forever to heal it seems! You are a great mom and a good example to your daughter! We are the same size I am a 10 petite :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:08 PM »
Awww thank you my friends!

I have been doing massage on my toe downward to push fluids out. Was painful so put ice on it & elevate it afterwards. Between that & the ice, my bruises have disappeared quickly. My toe was almost black, hard and huge. It's still swollen but not bad now & only hurts when it's touched.

My size 12 pants are loose on me now, so I am a 10 now! I'm very satisfied where I'm at now.

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
My size 12 pants are loose on me now, so I am a 10 now! I'm very satisfied where I'm at now.

That's great!!  Congratulations!!   :D

I'm glad you toe is feeling better too

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:29:53 PM »
Awww TooSweet, Ty Ty TY ....   you're just too sweet!!! LOL

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D HOORAY SUSIE!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tony

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 04:56:04 AM »
Umpa -- thanks for the link, and how timely since Jacki and I have both shared about our mothers forcing us on diets as little girls.  My mother was entralled with Twiggy and wanted me to be thin like that.....I was normal weight. 

I can remember being put on diets as young as eight....and then this other memory I have is freshman year of high school something had clicked with me with the diet....and I started purposefully depriving myself of food.  I remember sitting in school and had had ice water for lunch instead of food, and I was so proud of that and proud of myself....and freshman picture I was very thin.....mother was delighted with that.  THANK God something intervened where I went back to eating normally.  I still was on diets all through highschool.  My mother used to weigh me on Friday after school and if I had lost weight I could go out with my boyfriend (I was a senior then)....if I hadn't lost the weight I could not go out with my boyfriend. 

Recently my sister and I were disowned by our mother, and she sent all my sisters pictures from the family album back to my sister.  My sister remarked how thin she was in one of the pictures and how our mother had put her on a diet.  My sis is five years younger, and she was put on a diet almost immediately when I had left the house....THANK God my sister is okay...she actually a mental health professional -- she said she had to go into the field to figure our childhood out.  I never knew until a couple of weeks ago about my sister being put on a diet at age 13.

However, I do realize I held the fork all my adult years, but I think it was a combination of putting me on a diet when I was normal weight and introducing me to the "diet mentality" that contributed to the weight gain.  I stumbled a lot recently when all these issues resurfaced, but the drama related to that has about flat-lined now, and my sister and I feel peace....AND I feel happy and excited about continuing my FTS journey to normal weight. 

Jacki -- we just have to heal from all that previous negativity that led to our dieting mentality -- FTS is not a diet, it's a way of life, and it's the journey to good health and a healthy weight loss.   Our having healthier bodies will help heal the past also...

Blessings to each one of you....

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 04:56:48 AM »
P.S......Susie -- take care of that toe -- OUCH!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
My heart goes out to you all. It is so important as parents that we teach our children self esteem and how to eat healthy.When we see a starving child in another country we whip out our checkbooks.When we see overly thin women on magazine covers we say she is so beautiful.I don't know why that is? I have seen in my lifetime dieting taken to the extreme! Family members that battled anorexia to the point of hair falling out and you could see there bones and they still thought they were fat!I think it is so much healthier to feel good in your skin! Find a weight that is healthy and that you can maintain easily.I have been a size 10 for years and I am okay with that.I don't care if I ever lose another pound.I embrace my curves(and so does my husband :D ) and I like who I am.  ;)It is who you are on the inside that is so important in life!! Weight is adjustable ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »
I think the reason we see overly thin women on magazine covers and think their so beautiful is not so much their body size but their professionally done makeup, hairdos, clothing, and clever camera work.

If we saw most of those models in everyday garb without makeup and fancy hairdos in an everyday setting,
we'd see young women that look anorexic.
All of those artificial add-ons disguise just how sickly many of them really appear.

It really upsets me how commercialization of young women's appearance has trumped their welfare...
It's all about the almighty dollar and NOT them or those that see them! >:(

Tony