Author Topic: Question about fuel.  (Read 2115 times)

AliciaInTX

Question about fuel.
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »
Hey guys!
Okay...I know, I know...back for a day and already starting with the questions! ;)  But it's a good one, I promise. During the course of my weight loss, I've slowly upped my exercise. I realize this isn't necessary for weight loss, in particular, but I feel like now that I've learned how strong I am on the INSIDE, I'd like an outside to match. THAT said, I'd been doing yoga and pilates, which I know are GREAT for strength but my doc made a good point that it's important for my heart to get some cardio in there, too, so I've started taking a body toning class a couple of mornings a week that has cardio intervals (which has been a great way to start, as I wear out quickly with hard cardio but can MAKE myself do anything for one or two minutes at a time! ;) ). It feels great and I enjoy it but others in the class have mentioned that they eat in the morning before class and that the carbs up their energy level. Now, I typically eat when I'm hungry (as FTS requires) and so my breakfast doesn't usually happen until 10:30am or so....AFTER I've finished my gym class. Is it important for me to have some kind of protein before I go in to exercise? With that help me sustain the energy level throughout the class or will I be breaking with the FTS rule of only eating when hungry? Is eating before exercise an exception to the rule?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about fuel.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
HI, Alicia! :)

Everyone's different.

But I found I can exercise more effectively if I don't eat beforehand.
Afterword, I will make sure to have a good high protein, low carb meal (or shake if in a hurry).

If you do cardio, you will be building some muscle (including the heart muscle).
During that process, you will first tear some muscle tissue.
The protein eaten afterword will be used to rebuild it.
That is how muscle strength is built! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:36 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for the reply, Tony!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
Tony is right on the money Alicia. What your classmates don't realize is the exercise their doing is only burning the carbs they eat beforehand not the stored fuel (fat) on their bodies  :o
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)