Author Topic: Finally saw a doctor today  (Read 46557 times)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally saw a doctor today
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »
139/89 as an ok bp would never be acceptable in our practice at the hospital. that is hypertensive and would be treated to a lower number

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »
My BP will go down when I get more fit, so I'm not worried. As for inflammation, & waist size, I'm good. I'm 38-29-38 now so I feel I'm okay.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »
Stef you confused me???

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
The Bp they stated as norm of 138/89 as normal is not really normal . It's high and borderline hypertensive . We would treat our patients with meds to lower that .

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
Maybe if they took my BP 3 times it might be that. Next time I get it done I'll make sure that I don't drink any coffee, LOL.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »
Maybe if they took my BP 3 times it might be that. Next time I get it done I'll make sure that I don't drink any coffee, LOL.

I love my coffee (in moderation)! ;D ;D ;D
But I learned something about it at my last doctor visit...

Coffee can also bump up blood glucose levels.
This can skew fasting glucose tests.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2014, 01:29:45 AM »
Well good thing I didn't drink any coffee before my glucose test    ;D

Shoelace

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2014, 06:34:42 AM »
I was on diuretics for high blood pressure when I was 207 lbs. After I lost 20 lbs & still on the diuretics, my BP normalized

What I want to know is why my cholesterol & blood pressure is worse after I lost weight.

I eat low carb grains, berries & lots of veggies

Doctors blame almost everything on being overweight, including diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol, but you have just proved them wrong.  There are morbidly obese people who have none of these things and some skinny people who have all of them.

This is why I believe your BP is higher after losing weight... when you started eating low carb, your BP went down, then when you got to your goal weight and added more carbs back into your diet, your BP went back up again, and your cholesterol as well.

Tony is spot on when he said this:

More and more doctors are coming to realize that the reason why cholesterol "sticks" to artery walls is due to arterial inflammation. And that the inflammation is caused by sustained, elevated blood glucose levels.
We know what causes that... Eating too many net carbs.

Several years ago DH had a blockage and had angioplasty, so his cholesterol was very high for many years.  3 yrs. ago we were both diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  We immediately started eating low carb, high fat (and I do mean high fat... lots of eggs, butter on everything, fat bombs, etc)  His cholesterol kept going down and down.  It didn't happen overnight, but it is now in normal range.  Both of our lipid panels are very good.  He also had high blood pressure before we started the lc/hf way of eating, and that is now normal.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:47:03 AM by Shoelace »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
Hi, Shoelace! :)

When we think about the history of medical science, many treatment discoveries come after
spending years treating only symptoms.

There is a reason for this... symptom treatment makes BIG money for big pharma!
Thus, we are being bombarded with ads for Crestor, Lipitor, etc..
These products make the sellers money. But don't bring health to the patients.

And when you consider that many large pharmaceutical companies give money to
medical schools, research facilities, etc., those entities will tend to promote treatment via prescriptions.

And to make matters worse, there is also HUGE money in the food industries that sell high-carb poisons (especially to kids).

There is no money in telling people not to do (or limit) something.
That's why it's such an uphill battle for us to spread the word.

Thank God for doctors that REALLY do care about their patients' health enough to be open to the truth!
More and more of them are accepting the truth about cholesterol and elevated glucose levels.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
I have doctor appointment next week. I am so sure that my LDLs are only large particles that do not enter the blood stream. My HDLs are really good and triglycerides really low. I search online about this & found that there is a high percentage of people who lived longer with my type of cholesterol! I'm now more active, exercising daily. I am building abdomen, thigh & calve muscles while strengthening my hips, knees, ankles and core balance. I plan to start roller skating again in a couple weeks. It's been a year since I've been roller skating.

By the way, my cholesterol was lower when I ate more carbs, now higher after a year of 20 carbs a day. I know my low carb diet is an anti-inflammatory one and so good for me!!!!

Shoelace

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2014, 03:00:19 PM »
There is no money in telling people not to do (or limit) something.
That's why it's such an uphill battle for us to spread the word.

Amen to every word you said in your post above, Tony.  Besides all that, people have been so indoctrinated that low fat, higher carb is the way to go, that makes it all the more difficult to convince them otherwise, "Well, my doctor said I need to eat more carbs and cut down on fat."  What the patients don't realize is that doctors and dieticians only know what they have been taught, and they have been taught to follow diet guidelines set down by government agencies like (here in the states) the ADA.  So most doctors/dieticians believe they are giving sound advice when they are actually giving the worst advice possible.

Tony, you might find this of interest, I sure did.  The item below is from the U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.  It is dated March of 2004.  I know it is an old article, but just goes to show you how long our governments and government agencies have known that high carb/low fat is killing us.  And they knew that long before 2004.  I was just glad to see it in black and white by a government agency.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14998608
The diet-heart hypothesis: a critique.

Abstract

The low-fat "diet-heart hypothesis" has been controversial for nearly 100 years. The low-fat-high-carbohydrate diet, promulgated vigorously by the National Cholesterol Education Program, National Institutes of Health, and American Heart Association since the Lipid Research Clinics-Primary Prevention Program in 1984, and earlier by the U.S. Department of Agriculture food pyramid, may well have played an unintended role in the current epidemics of obesity, lipid abnormalities, type II diabetes, and metabolic syndromes. This diet can no longer be defended by appeal to the authority of prestigious medical organizations or by rejecting clinical experience and a growing medical literature suggesting that the much-maligned low-carbohydrate-high-protein diet may have a salutary effect on the epidemics in question.

Suzy, the word diabetes has been used a lot in this thread and you said you had a glucose test, but that still doesn't tell me whether or not you have diabetes.  When someone has diabetes, the important thing to know about lipids is as long as your A1c test results keep going down and your HDL keeps going up, the rest usually takes care of itself.  But if your A1c does not keep going down......... of course, this is assuming that you have diabetes.

Let us know about the LDL test results, here's hoping they will mostly be large particles (better known as fluffy particles).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:04:30 PM by Shoelace »

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
Shoelace are you in the healthcare profession ? Just wondering you strike me as sassy and educated 😊 I am a critical care nurse in the icu

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
No sassy is a good thing !! Lol

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
Like hip to the "knowledge "  of science and healthcare 😊😊😊

Shoelace

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
My family has been ravaged by type 2 diabetes, I'll spare you the gory details.  When DH and I were diagnosed, I was determined that if there was a better way, I'd find it so I did a lot of reading on different subjects having to do with diabetes, complications, meds and diet.  I am a humble high school grad.