Author Topic: Chickens!!  (Read 4821 times)

o0OSusieO0o

Chickens!!
« on: October 28, 2013, 11:04:56 AM »
We have 5 chickens and 1 rooster. There is never a shortage of eggs. We want to have some of them roost and have chicks, trying to figure feasible way, we have never done that before.

Fonzie

Lucy

Cosette

Eponine

MadameThenardier-Fantine

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chickens!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
They are so pretty ;) Doug wants chickens

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
Very cool!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
Thanks...
They lay different sizes of eggs from small to extra-large(that do not fit in egg crate).
We got the 2 black and 1 gray one from a Mexican lady. Her backyard is full of chickens. They eat their chickens too. I'm not sure if that's legal in my area, but it's nice they have a ready meat source.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
... They eat their chickens too. I'm not sure if that's legal in my area, but it's nice they have a ready meat source.

Hi, Susie! :)

Chicken is widely available as a food source... I'd say "No worries.".

The chickens you own are your property.
And as your own property, no one can tell you you cannot eat them.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
We cannot eat our chickens, Mary would be devastated. If i had a lot of chicken like the Mexican lady I wouldn't mind it, I've heard fresh has the very best flavor.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
We cannot eat our chickens, Mary would be devastated. If i had a lot of chicken like the Mexican lady I wouldn't mind it, I've heard fresh has the very best flavor.

Hi Susie! :)

I get that!

If you intend on eating a chicken, cow, etc., NEVER name it!
A name makes the animal personal to you and your family.

And you're right!... Like all other food, the fresher, the better! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »

A name makes the animal personal to you and your family

That's so true!

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
I hear making chicken stock with the feet of the chickens is the best stock around, as the tendons give it a richer flavor and I believe somewhat thicker stock.  I wish I could find a ready source for these feet.

Also, does anyone know the answer to the following:  My husband and I heard two different stories.  I heard that the fresher the egg the harder it is to peel when it is hard boiled.  One should wait a while, like say a week, so that that inner skin isn't as tough.  Or, as the inner skin is also tougher so it makes cracking a fresh egg tougher. 

My husband was watching the food network and one of the chefs said the fresher the eggs the easier it is to crack a fresh egg.  Huh!!!????  If the inner lining is tougher initially, you would think it would be tougher to crack (with one hand). 

Does anyone have the answer to this?

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
What I noticed is that the fresher the egg, the less chance of the shell falling into pieces when cracking them, thus making them easier to crack.

They are much harder to peel when hard boiled though. There are techniques to peel them easier.

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »
Seems to me like the shell itself is a bit more fragile the fresher it is.   Also as Susie said, it is true that the fresher the egg the harder to peel when hard boiled. 

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »
I presume you all know how to tell a boiled egg from a fresh egg in case they get mixed up?   You spin them - the fresh egg will wobble and  the boiled egg will spin neatly.  One more trivia fact  :D

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 08:39:47 PM »
Great tip Morgan   :)  Here is a picture that I ran across online that helps to determine if they have gone bad. 

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 04:01:15 AM »
Hi  I love the chicken pics AND the chicken names.

I learned how to boil and peel fresh eggs......I put them in a pan, cover them with water plus 1 inch more, bring to boil, set off burner, cover, time 13 minutes.....when 13 mins almost up I get ready a bowl of ice and then put in water to make it icy....

Then at 13 minutes I pour off hot water and start running a lot of water in the pan.....

then I take up each egg, and on a clean plate I crack the bottom and the tip.....splat splat and put them in the ice water.....

then wait about well I guess about 10 minutes, and then peel....where you cracked the egg on each end the cold water has come in, and also the cold water has shrunk the egg a little....then the shells come off easier.....

Good luck....I learned this by reading up on the internet....when I started low carb and was eating more eggs, I was boiling more eggs, and it was getting hard to have cartons sit around waiting to  be "not fresh eggs" to boil.....so the above has really worked for me...

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
Wow Elizabeth, that is a great method of hitting each end, etc.  I am going to give this a try.  Thanks for the tip!